I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:49:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at a return to cycling  (Read 3846 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:51 »

Welcome (back?) to the small two-wheeled world. Not the best season to start, but at least you shouldn't be a fair weather cyclist (unlike the motorcyclists at work who appear on large flash machines about two sunny days a year).

Most canal towpaths are reasonable if narrow (especially the Basingstoke, but not really your area). As always consideration and politeness go a long way, although there are always those who don't (want to) understand the concept of sharing. Did contemplate https://hornit.com/collections/horns-lights/products/hornit-db140 for those with "hearing problems" but have resisted so far.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 12:07:30 »

Most canal towpaths are reasonable if narrow g problems" but have resisted so far.

That might depend on how you define reasonable!

The K&A is excellent for cycling between Bath and Devizes, through Newbury and Theale to Reading, short sectopns around locks and a few other reasonably-surfaced sections. But much of it is grass; just a narrow section of grassland between the water and the hedge. These can be very variable depending on weather conditions and usage.

If there are any cycling masochits reading this, try the section between Froxfield at Marlborough, especially at the moment after its been bucketing down for a few days. The path runs alongside the canal of course but it is at the edge of a field which usually contains cattle, and when they want a drink they use the canal as their boozer.

The soil has a high clay content and, given the location, probably chalk as well

Heavy things cattle...  Wink
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 16:46:14 »

Robin you are quite correct, it is the usual problem with all generalisations. My knowledge of the K&A goes as far as Bedwyn and a bit round Bath.

But this end I have obviously been spoilt by the Grand Union Canal, and the Slough and Paddington Arms, and the Regents Canal. Very different beasts to the more "rural" canals.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 18:55:44 »

Welcome (back?) to the small two-wheeled world. Not the best season to start, but at least you shouldn't be a fair weather cyclist (unlike the motorcyclists at work who appear on large flash machines about two sunny days a year).

Most canal towpaths are reasonable if narrow (especially the Basingstoke, but not really your area). As always consideration and politeness go a long way, although there are always those who don't (want to) understand the concept of sharing. Did contemplate https://hornit.com/collections/horns-lights/products/hornit-db140 for those with "hearing problems" but have resisted so far.

Thank you for the welcome back - yes, it is back but from a very long time ago; my Mum had a Moulton that was kept at the front of the garage and used for short trips.  That's perhaps the original small wheeled design, and from Dr Alex Moulton of Moulton Engineering of Bradford-on-Avon who (a few years later) were a customer of mine when selling computer graphics products. I probably should not disclose I recall a very long sales cycle for a Tektronix 4662 plotter ... and I suspect I'm drifting off topic.

Sunday ... Melksham to Trowbridge ... I set out to try it, having been copied for comment on a Wiltshire council document that looks like it's based on incomplete research and has come to wrong conclusions.

I didn't photograph the suburban roads out to the bypass, nor the former A350 Semington Road which has been well repurposed since the bypass extended around Semington. A right turn onto the canal towpath - fairly narrow, fairly rough and very wet.  I worry - perhaps unneccesarily - about punctures. And off the towpath at the Whaddon Lane bridge - a country cul-de-sac into Hilperton, from where I joined the main road into Trowbridge - which the council have (! - I question) cycle friendly.  Through the town and around to the station.

My biggest concern was in from Hilperton ... the consultation I'm answering suggests that "Melksham is not well connected to Trowbridge with ?. no cycle facility" and looks at plugging the "gap" from the A350 Semington Road to Hilperton.   Readers may ask "what gap" ... and indeed there is a gap in council provided facilities - it would appear that they've failed to notice the canal towpath - National Route 4 in the cycle network - and are proposing to bid for funding to upgrade a parallel country path to "remove the need for existing cyclists to cycle on a busy derestricted section of the A361" ... when the need is already removed by the canal path.  Think I'm off topic again

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 19:53:10 »

Don't forget that the Council route would most likley be usable after dark. Canals and towpaths after dark are best left to old time boatmen who knew the canals like the back of their hand.
Muddy water grass and muddy towpaths all look the same when lighted by a boat headlight or cycle lamp. As anyone who has tried to take a narrowboat along an unfamiliar canal after dark will testify.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 20:04:12 »

.  I worry - perhaps unneccesarily - about punctures.

It is a justfiable concern, but the main issue is with thorns from adjacent hedging after t has been cut.

I speak from experience! I was riding the Staffs and Worcs canal near Penkridge a few years ago, when I got a puncure as a result of hedge trimming. I stopped at repaired it, and got another puncture about 400 yards later.

On the way back I took my chances on the A449 dual carriageway back to Wolverhampton...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 21:22:50 »

... I joined the main road into Trowbridge - which the council have (! - I question) cycle friendly. 

"We've painted some friendly bicycle symbols on the busy road to make friends with all the cars and lorries."
It looks like the the type of road that's annoyingly in between; not so busy you'd never consider it but not so quiet it's no problem, not so narrow that no one can overtake you until there's a decent gap in the traffic but not so wide they can just drive by ? leading to lots of irritating but not quite dangerous close passes and lots of frustrated bus and lorry drivers.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 21:27:08 »

Decades ago I was riding a road bike with 23mm tyres near Honeystreet (south of Alton Barnes and where the "crop circles" pub is) when I punctured.I upended the bike (not good practice) and missed by two inches putting the handlebars into a giant dog turd.

Other hazards of towpath cycling include fishermen casting their rods or leaving them across the path. Nowadays I only walk the paths, and usually hog the side away from the water to encourage cyclists to use the other.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 06:50:09 »

If and when you do end up with a puncture I recommend replacement with Schwalbe Marathon, reinforced with kevlar (as used in body armour).

I am sure the Canal and Rivers Trust would be delighted to work with some council money!

Trimming of vegetation, possibly not so bad for spectacle wearers, but being face swiped by low branches that haven't been trimmed tends to put you off your stroke.

After canals, I am sure you will soon have a list of former railway lines to investigate.

On the subject of dog shit. Cycling in Surrey I regret that it is unlikely they will introduce "poop and scoop" for horses.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 14:25:58 »

I think there's a general aspiration to upgrade the narrower/rougher parts of the Kennet & Avon towpath (apart from the "unmanicured" Devizes pound, that is).

For Melksham, the Wilts & Berks Canal project offers a potentially interesting connection, opening up the prospect of a traffic-free ride all the way to Trowbridge.

And yes, Marathon Plus tyres are indestructible, which is just as well considering how hard they can be to get on and off!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: