Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:58:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn day out - Kennet and Avon Canal in Bath  (Read 4840 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 30, 2020, 08:29:30 »

Only my second trip out of Wiltshire since the spring ... train from Melksham to Bath (via Trowbrige where I had a delivery to make), back on the bus.   A lovely walk on a fine autumn day in the open air, plenty of space and distancing.   Public transport was NOT overcrowded - about 10 people per vehicle (both trains, and the bus too) - and everyone wearing masks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 16:55:11 »

Lovely, pictures, Graham - takes me back. For those not familiar with this flight, it?s a beautiful approach to Bath. The penultimate photo shows the boat emerging from the seriously-scary deep lock. The road bridge had been flattened and/or widened over the next lock down, so the restoration had to keep the channel low under the bridge - through where the lower lock chamber was - and then have a double-height lock (about 19? but it seems like 190).
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 22:13:02 »

Yes - it's the second deepest lock in Britain. Tuel Lane on the Rochdale Canal is slightly deeper, and similarly was created by combining two locks to get the restored canal under a road. Tuel Lane is keeper-operated though!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:30:40 »

Yes - it's the second deepest lock in Britain. Tuel Lane on the Rochdale Canal is slightly deeper, and similarly was created by combining two locks to get the restored canal under a road. Tuel Lane is keeper-operated though!

Two more pictures from last week. I didn't set out to record the depth so these are incidental - from below the lock - under the bridge from below, and from above - noting the cement mixer in the background which is on top of the canal below the lock.

As someone who's done a fair old number of locks (but not Tuel Lane), the extra 7 foot or so on top of Tardbigge Top Lock at 12 feet which I have been through quite a number of times isn't all that noticed - perhaps because Bath Deep lock is wider too, so scaled up from Tardbigge rather than distorted.

The steps seen in the first picture are a massive help.  Had the lock been directly against the bridge, with crew obliged to cross the road to get on / off the boat, you would have a real operationally difficult structure.  Not sure what the status is on Tuel Lane.

If you want a deeper lock take a look at Ardncrusha on the Shannon Navigation, again a late construction to replace a a canal section when the HydroElecctric scheme was built there in 1929.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 14:31:19 »

At Tuel Lane you stay in the boat while the keeper shouts at you from above. Or at least, that was the case when we passed through. Not the most cheerful of characters...

We did a piece in Waterways World years ago about the deepest locks in the world. The deepest we found was Ust-Kamenogorsk in Kazakhstan, with a rise of 131ft. It's been written up in a few places since: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ustkamenogorsk-lock
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 21:40:36 »

The steps seen in the first picture are a massive help.  Had the lock been directly against the bridge, with crew obliged to cross the road to get on / off the boat, you would have a real operationally difficult structure.  Not sure what the status is on Tuel Lane.

At Tuel Lane - which is at Sowerby Bridge - the artificially-lowered section is a lot longer than at Bath, creating a tunnel of about 100 yards, if I remember correctly. There is simply no way to get anyone off the boat at the tail to operate the lock. This is one reason why it is keeper-operated, as noted by Richard. But it is more recent, so Elf and Safety may also have something to do with it. Tuel Lane also has two sets of bottom gates, to enable the lock to be operated at 56 feet* length if the full 70-odd feet isn?t required. These are hydraulic - no balance beams.

* The neighbouring Calder and Hebble - as with several of the Yorkshire waterways - is 56?, so this is a sensible water-saving idea.

My recollection about the dour lock-keeper is the same as Richard?s. But it?s an engineering masterpiece.

Sorry about the question marks here. It is rather bizarre. I am typing apostrophes - and they appear correct in preview - but when I submit they appear as question marks. This is on an iPad. Has anyone else had the problem?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 22:25:34 »

Sorry about the question marks here. It is rather bizarre. I am typing apostrophes - and they appear correct in preview - but when I submit they appear as question marks. This is on an iPad. Has anyone else had the problem?

Known (and logged) issue with the server switch; introduced as we hopped up from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8.0 and to a slightly varied character set. To be corrected [[probably]] at the upgrade of forum software;  massive extra job for a few weeks, and with some risks, just taking us up a cut-de-sac if I try and do it in the meantime.  Update log is at http://www.passenger.chat/24012 .

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 23:01:41 »

Known (and logged) issue with the server switch; introduced as we hopped up from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8.0 and to a slightly varied character set. To be corrected [[probably]] at the upgrade of forum software;  massive extra job for a few weeks, and with some risks, just taking us up a cut-de-sac if I try and do it in the meantime.  Update log is at http://www.passenger.chat/24012 .

As long as it is not just me...🙂
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 23:12:56 »

No its not just you. I get it using a desktop PC too. I have taken to leaving ut punctuation and other non-text keystokes that I have learned are a problem
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 23:43:00 »

Or smelling corectloy
No its not just you. I get it using a desktop PC too. I have taken to leaving ut punctuation and other non-text keystokes that I have learned are a problem

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 12:07:57 »

At Tuel Lane - which is at Sowerby Bridge - the artificially-lowered section is a lot longer than at Bath, creating a tunnel of about 100 yards, if I remember correctly. There is simply no way to get anyone off the boat at the tail to operate the lock. This is one reason why it is keeper-operated, as noted by Richard. But it is more recent, so Elf and Safety may also have something to do with it. Tuel Lane also has two sets of bottom gates, to enable the lock to be operated at 56 feet* length if the full 70-odd feet isn?t required. These are hydraulic - no balance beams.

Going off-topic a bit here...

Tuel Lane, and much of the eastern Rochdale restoration, was funded by West Yorkshire County Council in the '80s largely thanks to the energy of one councillor, John Sully. When I arrived at Canal Boat magazine in 1998, John (by then retired) was sending us occasional news items from the Huddersfield and Rochdale canals, just as restoration was kicking up a gear thanks to Lottery funding. I thought these were brilliant and encouraged him to write more. Before long John was writing a monthly report from each canal as full restoration moved ever closer.

When a few years later I moved to edit Waterways World, I took John with me. He wasn't the best prose stylist in the world, but his reports were full of facts and interest, and a bit of subbing could transform them into something really good. I'd rather have had one of John than ten of the ex-local newspaper hacks who sometimes submitted stuff to us, invariably beautifully written but largely fact-free. John was very much a rail enthusiast too and also wrote for Modern Railways; I sometimes wondered about phoning them up and seeing if they had as much fun rewriting his copy as I did!

He died earlier this year. Greatly missed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/21/john-sully-obituary

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/people/obituary-john-sully-councillor-2851696
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: