Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:46:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Improvements at three Berkshire stations  (Read 22208 times)
Hal

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2020, 16:41:59 »

Disabled access to both Theale and Tilehurst stations is to be greatly enhanced as part of a GBP 18 million investment, reported by the Berkshire Live website a few days ago.

At Theale, there will be a new footbridge with lifts, a new ticket office, toilets and enlarged car park.

At Tilehurst, lifts are finally going to be added to the footbridge which was installed as part of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification.

Reading West station will also see some improvements - ?improved accessibility? but no lifts, according to the report.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 19:08:08 »

What's proposed for Reading West is a bit more than just accessibility, and there is a planning application for it just gone in (no. 201448). The biggest item is a new station building, granting the passengers of West Reading the luxury of a gateline (or two, with one at the back door as well). It's a little station building under the bridge, taking up the full width of the pavement, which as a result needs a bit add-on pavement to get round it. They've even found space for a kiosk and a toilet. The drawings also show locations for lifts to be provided "by others" - could that be Access for All?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 22:59:34 »

And here's Reading Council on Twitter with some pretty pictures of the new Reading West station. As you can see, the tweeting multitudes don't find it at all pretty. Now, is this:

just a controlled pedestrian crossing, or is it contraflow? (Or is it just an unimpressive artist's impression?)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 07:01:32 »

Another classic RBC(resolve) design without thinking cyclist. Reading West bridge lights are not good at the best of times and adding a pinch point will only make it worse. Suppose I should be thankful they didn't add a traffic island as well.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:16:50 »

More here

Apart from the inverted photograph, my first reaction was the narrowing of the pavement and potential problems with cyclists who use it as an "informal" route. For some years I've avoided walking either side of Oxford Road from Reading West to Norcot Roundabout because of some unpleasant encounters, including being ridden at.

I note this as a former very keen cyclist who thirty years ago did not enjoy riding along Oxford Road. Come to think of it, nowadays I take great care driving along it. A year or two ago, there was talk of "improving" the road and recently some bright spark suggested banning vehicles from it. To be fair, I can't see that a great deal can be done improve things.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 07:01:02 »

The graphic rendition only gives an impression of the final build.   Things worth noting about Readings Oxford Road is I believe a 20 MPH zone and has man speed bumps.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:47:20 »

Unless the "station" is staffed, then it's likely to become a home for those eating food from McDonalds or "ladies" awaiting customers who normally frequent Western Elms Avenue (if you're local you'll know what I'm talking about).

I don't think passenger footfall at Reading West, as opposed to ticket sales, will be positively impacted by such as building.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 07:23:37 »

Will it be ready for the opening of Green Park station?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 18:41:14 »

There has clearly been further thoughts on the external appearance (at least) of the proposed building at Reading West - see-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-55159874

I like the way the photomontage for the view from the east (town centre) side includes pigeons huddled up on the bridge girder above Oxford Road.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 19:12:07 »

There has clearly been further thoughts on the external appearance (at least) of the proposed building at Reading West - see-

I like the way the photomontage for the view from the east (town centre) side includes pigeons huddled up on the bridge girder above Oxford Road.

I didn't realise you could get that stick-on brickwork paper the modellers use in a full-scale version.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 19:14:50 »

Unless the "station" is staffed, then it's likely to become a home for those eating food from McDonalds or "ladies" awaiting customers who normally frequent Western Elms Avenue (if you're local you'll know what I'm talking about).

I don't think passenger footfall at Reading West, as opposed to ticket sales, will be positively impacted by such as building.

Remembering the hill walking up Western Elms Avenue when I was a child going to school, these days I?d be fit for nothing after walking up there now!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 22:43:37 »

I didn't realise you could get that stick-on brickwork paper the modellers use in a full-scale version.

I might, for once, explain that - the plan drawing submitted with the new pictures (1/12/20) is identical, apart from the kerb line, with the old one (8/10/20). I know that's not what the pictures look like, but presumably the architects' drawings are closer to what the builders build than what any impressionable artist thinks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:23:47 by stuving » Logged
Hal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 11:09:55 »

Looks nicer, but still no lifts.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 11:17:01 »

They have used Better Builder instead of Lego.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 07:11:33 »

Cladding, hopefully not flammable.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: