I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:48:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurora, Paragon, Azuma, IET, Nova 1, Javelin  (Read 5517 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 07:56:54 »

Was that not for  the Intercity Express Programme of which the IET (Intercity Express Train) was the train being resourced?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 09:39:14 »

Yes, but the name did inevitably get applied to the train itself.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 11:19:48 »

A comparison might be with HSTs (High Speed Train) when these were in more widespread use. They were generally liked and invariably known as HSTs, no matter where used or whom operated them.

I've always known them as (Inter City) 125s. It's only since I joined this forum that I've seen them called HST's instead.

I've also heard them being referred to as HS125.

To those of us with an aviation background this is confusing as we had our own HS125 - a mid-sized bizjet, once designated the (ah!) de Havilland DH125, later the BAe125 and, finally (I think!) the Hawker 1000.

...and you thought the naming of trains was confusing.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 11:58:25 »

Was that not for  the Intercity Express Programme of which the IET (Intercity Express Train) was the train being resourced?

Yes, although they were certainly referred to that in the early days quite regularly.  Then Hitachi branded them SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) (Super Express Train) and they were part of the AT300 series of trains, which are part of the wider Hitachi A-Train design.  Then along came the operator brand names mentioned on the thread title.   Undecided

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 12:26:40 »

Class 800 series, for the Intercity Express Programme
Is what Hitachi call them. Well, apart from the ones they call Javelin (which they also call AT395).
http://hitachirail-eu.com/products/our-trains/at300-intercity-high-speed

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 13:40:21 »

...part of the wider Hitachi A-Train design...

Ah! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
southwest
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 00:00:30 »

I suspect that "IET (Intercity Express Train)" has become a somewhat toxic brand.
Hence other operators of what is indeed largely the same train wish to call it something else.

A comparison might be with HSTs (High Speed Train) when these were in more widespread use. They were generally liked and invariably known as HSTs, no matter where used or whom operated them.

IETs however have become linked in many peoples minds with a lower quality product, hence the desire to call them something else.

Far from the case, it's just another pathetic marketing attempt by TOC (Train Operating Company)'s to make their trains sound special. It worked for LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) because there was only two operators of the type, now there is so many it's stupid. In 10 years time I expect they will all be known as IET's or something along that line.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 12:38:26 »

I suspect that "IET (Intercity Express Train)" has become a somewhat toxic brand.
Hence other operators of what is indeed largely the same train wish to call it something else.

IETs however have become linked in many peoples minds with a lower quality product, hence the desire to call them something else.

Far from the case, it's just another pathetic marketing attempt by TOC (Train Operating Company)'s to make their trains sound special. It worked for LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) because there was only two operators of the type, now there is so many it's stupid. In 10 years time I expect they will all be known as IET's or something along that line.

I suspect that most passengers don't know or care that these trains are more or less the same. They may not even recognise the different brands and liveries; they do seem to change rather often.

Possibly the first time it even occurs to them that the trains might be the same is when they sit down with a thud, and think: Blimey, these seats are just as uncomfortable as an Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)!

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 13:18:49 »

It?s a good IET conspiracy theory, but it doesn?t really explain why SWR» (South Western Railway - about) need their own unnecessary name for what Bombardier call an Aventra.

There?s no reason as far as I can see why Aventra cannot be used by all the relevant operators, in the same way Electrostar was for the previous generation of EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)

(Although LO using Capitalstar for their version was a bit of a marketing thing; I don?t think it really caught on?)

Paul
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 13:27:43 »

I did an informal survey amongst regular passengers in South Devon at the beginning of last year (about 50 pax) asking for their thoughts about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) without asking leading questions. You could count the number of positive responses regarding catering on the fingers of one hand. Probably 80% of responses referred to 'inferior catering' with a number adding 'if and when it is available'.

Also, the dozen or so First Class pax who were polled all suggested 'First Class isn't what it was'

I suspect that the term "IET" is more widely used and understood than some suggest. Much easier than saying "those new trains with hard seats and no* catering"
The GWR (Great Western Railway) IETs in particular have had a lot of bad press regarding short formations, seating and no catering* Look on trip advisor and similar review sites it is not just me who considers them to be a backward step.
It is therefore understandable that other operators dont wish to admit that their new trains are similar.

*Yes I know that there is sometimes a trolley, but it is so often in the other portion, static, hiding in first, or entirely absent, that the general perception is that "IETs dont have catering"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 17:14:29 »

There is a difference between "not admitting that your trains are similar" and "pretending that they're different."

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 18:08:02 »

There is a difference between "not admitting that your trains are similar" and "pretending that they're different."

Yes but it is rather a fine distinction for the average TOC (Train Operating Company) publicity department. And of course sometimes they ARE (very slightly) different. "Our trains have a custom designed, cheerful interior" just don't mention seats, or catering.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 20:22:49 »

That is totally the difference that publicity departments are about! "Travel in speed and comfort on an LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)" no need to mention GWR (Great Western Railway) or any other operators or trains. Similarly, it's well known that VW, Skoda and Seat, or Renault and Nissan, or various other alliances, are basically the same cars with an array of different features. This is common enough knowledge that people talk of "VAG cars" but the advertisements don't say "This VW is just like a Skoda but made with teutonic precision" or "This Seat is just like a VW but cheaper and jollier". Instead they talk about the VW, the Seat, and its features.

So it is with these trains. When the publicity people talk of a "Paragon" they don't mean "an IET (Intercity Express Train) in different colours", they mean "our wonderful train, which we call Paragon". Ask an engineer "Isn't that the same as an IET?" and they'll say yes (unless they've been primed for interview!) but the marketing bods will reply along the lines of "It carries this many people in comfort from Trumpton to Chumpton in 1 hour 35 minutes, that's 16 minutes faster than the old train, we give you the newest, most up to date trains because we really want all our passengers to be the happiest".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 20:29:07 by Bmblbzzz » Logged

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 22:17:48 »

Good points made there by Bmblbzzz. And of course its nothing new.

Mentioning the automotive industry I am reminded of the era of Badge Engineering (caps used because quotation marks just turn into bloody question marks!) when an Austin Calmbridge, a Morris Oxford and a Wolsely 1660 were exactly the same car but for the badge, the radiator grille and a few minor internal differences.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:48:51 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 11:21:11 »

Hoping that I will not upset any forum member who is in marketing, this illustrates to me how sometimes a lot of time is spent on things which are ultimately pointless. I hope that non-one spent a lot of money on consultants when coming up with these names, because if they did it will largely be wasted.

Members of the public deciding whether to use a train will usually be faced with no choice as to the type of train. I cannot stand at Reading and wait for a 158 to Guildford because I will only get a Turbo. I doubt that anyone will decide that they will take a train to Newcastle because it is called an Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER) - a name that means nothing in the context of what the journey will be like. The HST125 branding was in the context of a national campaign to get us all back on the trains, and externally they were so different to what went before it worked in terms of making an impact on the public consciousness. Whatever the technical advances under the skin, and change from what is two locomotives at the ends to engines and motors under the floor, the IETs (Intercity Express Train) etc are still streamlined multiple units (and that comment is not intended to be disparaging).

It is not like a consumer product. Even then I suspect it is the product rather than the name that ultimately makes a product a success. Mini is no more distinctive than Imp, Golf no more than Allegro, Fiesta than Sunbeam, but once the product hits the spot, the name becomes synonymous with success and is used again and again.

If the rail industry as a whole really wanted to use the new generation of trains to leverage a further increase in rail travel they should have got together and had a combined their resources to promote the new generation of trains - HST2 might not have been a bad start but for the fact it may now be associated with the controversial new HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) project. Travel on GWR (Great Western Railway)/LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)/ whatever on our new HST2 trains seems to me more likely to have an impact if it was linked to an RDG(resolve) campaign promoting a new generation of sustainable high speed express trains throughout the country.

Consignia anyone?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: