Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:33:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid Cornwall Metro  (Read 7550 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2022, 12:55:11 »

"Good news. Newquay needs a more regular and faster service. The success of the increased capacity on the Falmouth branch shows what could be achieved."

Indeed - some Falmouth services yesterday were reminiscent of urban rush-hour services. However, the tale of woe that greeted anyone trying to use branch line services to Gunnislake or Looe yesterday suggests that the first goal needs to be ensuring that resources are there to ensure / guarantee that the existing advertised service actually runs (and by "advertised service" I mean the service advertised as available when people are making plans several weeks in advance not "the service advertised online at 22.00 the previous evening"!)

Don't know why the first bit doesn't show as the quote it actually is!

Looe and Gunnislake have been running pretty well recently so I had a look at Real Time Trains for yesterday and see what you are talking about - not a good day at all on those lines.   Friday perfect - yesterday not.

Look forward to hearing what yesterday's announcement means in terms of next steps.  It's certainly good news though.

Interesting to see that Heathfield isn't being taken forward.  There have been some interesting things coming from some well placed sources recently.  Clearly not enough of a runner.
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2022, 15:37:26 »

Newquay to Falmouth is about 25 miles by main roads and takes about 50 mins. and longer by direct bus; whereas even a through train would take about 2 hours.

Resurrection of a past scheme to divert the Newquay to Par service to St Austell by reopening just 2 miles of former railway between St Dennis Jn and Parkandillack and thence via the now mostly relaid with CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) line but only now used by just two clay trains a week line to Burngullow Jn, would be far quicker for a through Newquay/Falmouth service, reduce (even halt ?) the decline of St Austell; why is everything centred on Truro ?!
It would mean closure of the line between St Dennis and Goonbarrow and the little used stations of Roche, Bugle and  Luxulyan, avoid further track renewals etc on this stretch and potentially save £millions in resignalling St Blazey and Goonbarrow.
The long term future of the declining clay industry in Cornwall is uncertain and thus with no railway between Par and St Dennis an opportunity could exist for creation of a multi use trail.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 17:45:02 »

I would have thought that the "Metro" idea would have longer legs if it concentrated on the route that rail can serve effectively, i.e Falmouth to Truro, St Austell and points East.

Newquay is about on the same Longitude as Truro, being due North, so is truly  a "great way round" by train, even (at present) from St Austell.  Lostwithiel and even Bodmin are however quite direct.

The heritage line would not have to increase its services much to give a year round connection to the General station.

Have I missed something?

OTC
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2022, 08:22:20 »

Heathfield not being taken forward is understandable as all the new housing is being built between the A382 and A383  and Wolborough well away from the Heathfield Line.
GWR (Great Western Railway) still sends the odd empty coaching stock past signal 706 to keep a small stretch operational.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 11:09:29 »

Heathfield not being taken forward is understandable as all the new housing is being built between the A382 and A383  and Wolborough well away from the Heathfield Line.
GWR (Great Western Railway) still sends the odd empty coaching stock past signal 706 to keep a small stretch operational.

I'm guessing that for now at least, NR» (Network Rail - home page) (or GBR (Great British Railways)) will just continue to cooperate with the current Heath Rail Link group to further their aims of getting a combined commuter/heritage/general service running.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2022, 20:24:19 »

I'm guessing that for now at least, NR» (Network Rail - home page) (or GBR (Great British Railways)) will just continue to cooperate with the current Heath Rail Link group to further their aims of getting a combined commuter/heritage/general service running.

Given there is no prospect of funding for the time being, I'm sure people will be polite but it won't go anywhere.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 13:29:22 »

More details including extended platforms at Falmouth Docks and Falmouth Town and a passing loop on the Newquay Branch were released this week following an application for funding being issued

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/20598820.mid-cornwall-metro-now-56-8m-rail-scheme-levelling-fund/

Ambitious isn't the word considering the estimate for completion is 2025.

infoman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 11:18:43 »

any indication of where the passing loop on the Newquay branch will be?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 11:46:11 »

Don't know ... but for a 30 minute service you would need a loop at St Columb Road and to retain and use the one at Goonbarrow Junction.  Is it double from St Blazey around to Par?  Turn around at Newquay would need to be slick too; it will be interesting to see if the proposals include retaining through trains to / from east of Plymouth with the significant risk of disruption if there are cows on the line at Crofton or a shortage of drivers means the London train has had to call at Pewsey and Westbury.   Inputs / comments welcomed please - I am not as informed on this project and I suspect other readers may not be either!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 13:48:20 »

Don't know ... but for a 30 minute service you would need a loop at St Columb Road and to retain and use the one at Goonbarrow Junction.  Is it double from St Blazey around to Par?  Turn around at Newquay would need to be slick too; it will be interesting to see if the proposals include retaining through trains to / from east of Plymouth with the significant risk of disruption if there are cows on the line at Crofton or a shortage of drivers means the London train has had to call at Pewsey and Westbury.   Inputs / comments welcomed please - I am not as informed on this project and I suspect other readers may not be either!

Hourly service on the Newquay branch, Graham.   Still half-hourly on the Falmouth line.  Yes, the proposal includes retaining through long distance services - indeed the plan is to be able to reintroduce local trains on Summer Saturdays in addition to the long distance ones.  Second platform at Newquay will be vital.  I believe the loop will be in the St Dennis Junction area and Goonbarrow Jn loop will stay.  The Levelling Up Fund bid is in addition to the Restoring Your Railway one - "belt and braces".
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2022, 18:23:47 »

I'm assuming that the promised 'Capacity increase' on the Falmouth line is to be achieved by moving up to three carriage services on the MCM. The Platform enhancements at the two Falmouth Stations infer that. Falmouth Town will be tricky to complete without juggling things a bit. I believe Perranwell and Penmere would cope well with three cars and of course Penryn was so designed in the 2000's work.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 07:54:05 »

I'm assuming that the promised 'Capacity increase' on the Falmouth line is to be achieved by moving up to three carriage services on the MCM. The Platform enhancements at the two Falmouth Stations infer that. Falmouth Town will be tricky to complete without juggling things a bit. I believe Perranwell and Penmere would cope well with three cars and of course Penryn was so designed in the 2000's work.

Yes, that's right.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 17:36:50 »

Getting a 'regular' service considering GWML (Great Western Main Line) and Regional services on the Truro - Par section would seem difficult currently, let alone a clockface one. Some consideration towards a lift at Truro (where?) is also needed as I can't see the Newquay bound trains using platform 2 and there's no simple disabled access from platform 3. Additionally the old post gate adjacent to platform 1 should be reopened for convenient access to the P&R (Park and Ride) service into the City.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2022, 19:20:50 »

I still cannot see the point of Falmouth to Newquay as is such a roundabout route that the bus beats it. I can see the need of improvements on the Newquay branch but I think the delays introduced to the present excellent Truro to Falmouth service would be a great risk to reliability. Even Newquay to Truro would not be very quick.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2022, 22:11:11 »

I still cannot see the point of Falmouth to Newquay as is such a roundabout route that the bus beats it. I can see the need of improvements on the Newquay branch but I think the delays introduced to the present excellent Truro to Falmouth service would be a great risk to reliability. Even Newquay to Truro would not be very quick.

There may be limited end to end traffic but there are probably significant trafics across all intermediate points, so the joining is natural. I suspect that not many people on the 06:35 off Holyhead are bound for Maesteg, or on the 08:20 for Aberdeen are headed to Plymouth.  Hourly services from Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central don't start from PMH loaded with significant traffic to CDF» (Cardiff - next trains).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: