Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:22:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The USA votes...  (Read 1188 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:47:09 »

...but they didn't only vote for which old white man was going to try to run the country for the next few years!

It's a feature of US elections that people also get to vote on a raft of other things too. Last night:

Austin, Texas voted for a USD7.5 billion property tax plan, including new light rail lines a downtown tunnel, BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), and park and rides.

Denver, Colorado voted for 1/4-cent 'climate change' sales tax to fund climate-focused initiatives, including potential transit investments.

Fairfax, Virginia voted for $160 m in bonds to support local funding for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority - the DC (Direct Current) metro.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:55:58 »

Denver, Colorado voted for 1/4-cent 'climate change' sales tax to fund climate-focused initiatives, including potential transit investments.

However ...
To reduce the burden of the tax, the measure would not apply to purchases of food, water, fuel, medical supplies and feminine hygiene products.
... which strikes me as something of a mixed message ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 22:21:35 »

Meanwhile over here local authorities cannot even raise the one tax central government allow them to levy by more than a small percentage and must rely on ever decreasing grants from central government. 

What a very different world. 
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 23:08:47 »

Trump. 215
Byden . 254
Intercity. 125.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:57:55 »

Biden now over the line ... and it would appear by sufficient a margin to stand up to any unorthodox challenges. With a partner who's an immigrant to the UK (United Kingdom) from the USA, but retains ties, we have been following the long and complex process that's been going on with more than a degree or two of interest; American politics has become very ugly indeed.  But we are a public transport forum, so little of that from me here.

But ... from an article that's six months old ...  did you know the Joe Biden's nickname is "Amtrak Joe"

[Amtrak] has been his primary mode of transportation to his work as a politician in Washington, D.C. and back home to Delaware, where he and his current wife reside. It started because of tragedy, but over time he became a huge proponent of trains during his time as a senator and subsequently vice president. It's become an indelible part of his life and work. So how did Joe become "Amtrak Joe," and why is it so significant to understanding who he is?

and ...

Biden's apparently traveled over 2 million miles, the equivalent of four years of his life, on Amtrak. He's a huge advocate for rail travel, facilitating over $2 billion loan in 2016 to help them update trains and stations. He even blogged to Huffington Post about why America needs trains. In it, he talk about the importance of Amtrak to his life. "It has provided me another family entirely?a community of dedicated professionals who have shared the milestones in my life, and who have allowed me to share the milestones in theirs."

Joe Biden has had more tragedy and misfortune thrown at him than most of us could even imagine, and for sure that has been significant in shaping the man.   Elements of our press suggest that Trump rather than Biden would have been best for the UK, bearing in mind similarities in outlook between the UK and USA leaders, whereas the new team in Washington finds itself closer to the Eurpoean systems (and thus Europe) and does not consider our decision to leave Europe to have been a good one.   But having noted that ... his approach and direction seems so much better aligned with sustainable transport and climate objectives than the chap who's finishing his four years, and his henchmen.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 13:03:21 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 18:51:24 »

Biden now over the line ...

But did you know the Joe Biden's nickname is "Amtrak Joe"

Yes, I did. During the course of my research for a trip to the US next September (originally this September) I came across this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_ACS-64#/media/File:Cities_Sprinter_cab.jpg

To be fair, therefore, his green credentials are not bad at all by US standards. Amtrak will probably be well pleased at his election.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 21:55:14 »

Biden now over the line ...

But did you know the Joe Biden's nickname is "Amtrak Joe"

Yes, I did. During the course of my research for a trip to the US next September (originally this September) I came across this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_ACS-64#/media/File:Cities_Sprinter_cab.jpg

To be fair, therefore, his green credentials are not bad at all by US standards. Amtrak will probably be well pleased at his election.

Actually those ACS-64s look pretty competent machines. That said, they need to re-equip the North East Corridor with coaching stock that will work in push-pull mode. The locomotives will, but they don?t have stock with Driving Van Trailers.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: