10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:58:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway run by children, Ukraine  (Read 1930 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:42:55 »

In a forest park near Kharkiv there is a narrow gauge, but "full size", railway run by children/teenagers as platform staff, signallers, driver's assistants etc. The railway is 3.6km long with two stations, called imaginatively Park and Forest Park, and one intermediate platform. It has two trains, each with a diesel locomotive and consisting of six carriages. One of the sets of carriages was built in Poland, the other I think is of Soviet construction (with the Polish one being of similar age).

The children's railway was opened on 8 November 1940 and normally runs throughout the summer (I think from 1 April to end of September). For its 70th anniversary, a museum was opened. And the purpose of the railway, apart from being an attraction in the park, is to train and encourage interest among children in railway careers.

That's the essence of what I was able to glean from this website
https://www.pz.gov.ua/dept/100062?lid=2
using my rusty Cyrillic and knowledge of other Slavonic languages. If you run it through google translate you'll probably be able to correct some mistakes I've made!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 13:29:57 »

Interesting, I presume that the actual driving is done by adults, but there is no real reason why sensible children cant perform most other roles.
A lot of maintenance and repair work could be done by older children, but I suspect that the more dangerous worshop machinery and hazerdous chemicals are restricted to adults.
Signalling is presumably interlocked to protect against human error.

And we should remember that within living memory, that 14 year olds worked on UK (United Kingdom) railways, they were called apprentices and not children then.
It is alleged that rural signal boxes where left in the charge of the signalmens children at times, at least up to the last war.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 17:36:23 »

Yes, the driving, if I understood correctly, is done by adults but the children ? and they're teenagers really ? act as "driver's assistants" which presumably is something like an apprentice.

On the general subject of child labour, I've been reading Mary Beard's SPQR, in which she says of child labour in the Roman Empire that it was universal and not regarded as any sort of problem, in fact it would not even be recognised as a category. And she adds in parentheses that even today it's almost exclusively a Western concept.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 20:17:10 »

Yes, the driving, if I understood correctly, is done by adults but the children ? and they're teenagers really ? act as "driver's assistants" which presumably is something like an apprentice.

On the general subject of child labour, I've been reading Mary Beard's SPQR, in which she says of child labour in the Roman Empire that it was universal and not regarded as any sort of problem, in fact it would not even be recognised as a category. And she adds in parentheses that even today it's almost exclusively a Western concept.

People respond to how they are treated from quite an early age and by holding back on letting young people take responsibility for things those older haven't the courage to trust them with.  I am not advocating sending 6 year olds up chimneys or 8 year olds down the mines but I do support giving young people responsibility; yes, I did the "with my own children" test for that - really proud when they stepped out, worked in a none-exploited way, planned, travelled, cooked for themselves (very occasionally showing they know how to clean their rooms too).

When we had a team working for us ... my goodness, the young ones could run rings around me on most of the hotel things; proud, very proud, of them.  The biggest problems - and we had a number over the years - were "helicopter parents", where I have a number of tales I could tell.

Many parents in the UK (United Kingdom), and many organisations, could do well with giving more real responsibilities ... sadly, there are rules around that hold back and frustrate the bright and keen ones.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 15:50:50 »

Interesting!
There is another "childrens railway" in Budapest. This was set up Hunarian Railways as `sort of training railway for youngsters aspiring to work on the railway. I visited it a few years ago. it was staffed by children but the drivers were adults. I think it was "One engine in Steam" so the chances of a collision were very low! A very enjoyable afternoon trundling through the Hungarian countryside as I recall.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 20:58:32 »

I am sure that I saw one of these railways featured on either Tony Robinson or Chris Tarrant's railways programmes. I can't find anything on Google to confirm this though.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 16:44:18 »

When I was in Lviv a few years ago,what an experience the short bus trip was.

The driver could drive the bus, talk on the phone, listen to the radio, issue bus tickets and take monies and give change.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 12:03:00 »

Interesting!
There is another "childrens railway" in Budapest. This was set up Hunarian Railways as `sort of training railway for youngsters aspiring to work on the railway. I visited it a few years ago. it was staffed by children but the drivers were adults. I think it was "One engine in Steam" so the chances of a collision were very low! A very enjoyable afternoon trundling through the Hungarian countryside as I recall.

I've been on the one in Budapest too.  It's easy to get to from the City Centre.  A nice thing to do.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 14:24:45 »

Agree about the one in Budapest. It's supposed to be the world's largest Children's Railway - 11.2 km long. Definitely not "one engine in steam" when we visited - two trains, one of them steam-hauled.

And the southern terminus is a short walk from the upper terminus of the Budapest Cog-wheel Railway, a rack line.  Which, when we visited, was operating as rail replacement buses.  Budapest's public transport is diligently signed in both Hungarian and English, but the rail replacement bus was, alas, only in Hungarian. Fortunately I read Bus fluently.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 22:04:13 »

I am sure that I saw one of these railways featured on either Tony Robinson or Chris Tarrant's railways programmes. I can't find anything on Google to confirm this though.

The Budapest one was featured in the 1980 series of Great Railway Journeys, in an episode called Changing Trains.

This episode was also notable for featuring the APT (Advanced Passenger Train).
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 22:33:33 »

The Budapest one was featured in the 1980 series of Great Railway Journeys, in an episode called Changing Trains.

I wonder if any of the young staff in that episode are now parents of the current crew?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 21:03:43 »

Scary, just been watching Travelman 48 hours in Budapest on Dave and what should appear but the railway run by Children.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: