Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:39:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Engineering work to close St Ives branch Jan to Feb 2021  (Read 18937 times)
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 17:16:20 »

For some reason I am not seeing the images referenced today by RailCornwall.  I am using MS Edge and am logged in; images are showing fine in other posts.

If I reply using the quote button I can see the image URLs and if I copy them into the address bar I can open and see the images.

I had the same problem with his posting on 6 January but the posting on 7 January displays with no problems.

Any ideas please?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 18:21:04 »

Option for a 2 foot gauge line?
Those are ?guard rail? cast in chairs, usually seen on bridges and viaducts where there?s an obvious derailment risk.  Is it because of proximity to the sea, or maybe there?s a cliff rock fall derailment risk? 

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 19:12:47 »

For some reason I am not seeing the images referenced today by RailCornwall.  I am using MS Edge and am logged in; images are showing fine in other posts.

If I reply using the quote button I can see the image URLs and if I copy them into the address bar I can open and see the images.

I had the same problem with his posting on 6 January but the posting on 7 January displays with no problems.

Any ideas please?

I'm using the Edge, version 87.0.664.75 64-bit, and it works fine. There aren't many options for compatibility, as there are in IE and Chrome. Maybe check for an update? Or try playing U2 at the same time, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 20:13:00 »

Those are ?guard rail? cast in chairs, usually seen on bridges and viaducts where there?s an obvious derailment risk.  Is it because of proximity to the sea, or maybe there?s a cliff rock fall derailment risk? 

Paul

Not sure it is for check rails, thing the rails in the 4ft are to help maintain track alinement due to the curve.  Check rails are usually in the same chair as the running rails

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2021, 20:38:45 »

These 'non standard' new concrete sleepers with fixings for glanding rails ( with no evident flat bottom rails waiting in the adjacent cesses to be installed ) could well have been used because they were surplus to another track renewal job or another job elsewhere on Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) was cancelled or deferred. Possibly Network Rail (NR) will comment.

It woud have been interesting and very good Personal Record (PR (Public Relations)) if Network Rail (NR) had said what age the track was that they were replacing to inform Joe Public just what a long service life railway track materials can have.
It is quite likely that the chaired concrete sleepers (that hold BH rail) were made between 1948 and 1955 AND it is understood they are to have a second life on the planned  extension of the Helston Railway! Compare that with the short life of materials being expensively used by Contractors to temporarily repair the thousands of potholes in Devon's roads.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 19:18:27 by VickiS » Logged
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 21:41:34 »

Any ideas please?
With me it works in Edge and Chrome but not Firefox. Huh
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 21:46:40 »

I'd assume that at least some of the track being replaced dates from the post 1960's rationalisation of the line and the subsequent cut back of the facilities at the Station to the bare bones single platform. Indeed if not earlier.
Cornish bobby

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 10:31:19 »

Heck of a lot of Steel sleepers in and along the line from Carbis Bay to St Ives.

I don't Understand the Quote from Rail Advent that this is the biggest investment in Track renewals in Cornwall since the 1950s, this relaying will extend the CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) laid from St Erth towards St Ives  that was installed about 4 years ago.
Would think the whole branch will be CWR after work is completed, so if 1 1/2 miles is being done then 3 miles has ALREADY been relaid with CWR.

There will still be a section by the golf course to be renewed when the current work is complete.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 12:32:02 »

It woud have been interesting and very good PR (Public Relations) if NR» (Network Rail - home page) had said what age the track was that they were replacing to inform Joe Public just what a long service life railway track materials can have.
It is quite likely that the chaired concrete sleepers (that hold BH rail) were made between 1948 and 1955 AND it is understood they are to have a second life on the planned  extension of the Helston Railway! Compare that with the short life of materials being expensively used by Contractors to temporarily repair the thousands of potholes in Devon's roads.

I read in a staff briefing that some of the track dates back to the 1940s.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 13:01:15 »

Paul

Not sure it is for check rails, thing the rails in the 4ft are to help maintain track alinement due to the curve.  Check rails are usually in the same chair as the running rails
I intentionally didn?t mention check rails though, because they have a separate function to guard rails, the former are positioned to work against the back of the wheel flange, eg within points and crossings.
I guess we?ll see what they fit shortly, but presumably they?re being used because there?s no equivalent steel sleeper.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2021, 16:53:18 »

Paul

I intentionally didn?t mention check rails though, because they have a separate function to guard rails, the former are positioned to work against the back of the wheel flange, eg within points and crossings.
I guess we?ll see what they fit shortly, but presumably they?re being used because there?s no equivalent steel sleeper.

I am guessing the use of concrete sleepers in the location might be due to lateral forces, which the mass of concrete will help mitigate

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2021, 18:59:26 »

According to Network Rail, answering Peter in their Twitter feed:

Hi Peter, guard rails will be installed in these loops.  Used on tracks where there are bendy sections to catch the train should the unfortunate happen and a train is derailed.  They are also used over viaducts where the parapets may not be high enough. more pics in coming weeks

Bloomin' internet - ruins debate.

Now, please!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2021, 20:03:18 »

Hi Peter, guard rails will be installed in these loops.  Used on tracks where there are bendy sections to catch the train should the unfortunate happen and a train is derailed.  They are also used over viaducts where the parapets may not be high enough. more pics in coming weeks

Bloomin' internet - ruins debate.

But it doesn't stop all kinds of ill-informed speculation proliferating!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2021, 20:30:06 »

But it doesn't stop all kinds of ill-informed speculation proliferating!

Not on here - speculation is usually very well informed.

Now, please!
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 20:33:37 »

I must say I cant understand how this is being promoted as "the biggest investment in track renewals in Cornwall since the 1950's". The mainline has of course had Continuously Welded Rail (CWR (Continuously Welded Rail)) , and more recently there has been the re-doubliing of the track between St Austell and Truro. Does anyone know the basis of the investment claim?Or is it a misquote just relating to investment in the St Ives branch??

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying acronym
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 19:20:31 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: