12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 13:13:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] "Mayflower"
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[63] Where have I been?
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[53] Death of another bus station?
[30] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing GRIP  (Read 1015 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2020, 17:17:12 »

According to Rail 918, GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) is no more. Is anyone sad to hear this?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 17:24:28 »

I agree with NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s comments frankly - it takes far too long & is far too costly. However, it's replacement may be worse, so I reserve my thoughts on its replacement until it's in the public domain
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 17:32:43 »

If the problem with GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) was that people - and I guess he means NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s staff - don't use it intelligently, how will replacing it help? I mean, does he think they can build the intelligence into the process instead? 
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 18:16:22 »

If the problem with GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) was that people - and I guess he means NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s staff - don't use it intelligently, how will replacing it help? I mean, does he think they can build the intelligence into the process instead? 

Its not only NR staff, Suppliers (contractors) are ridged on not progressing unless a process is complete, often not trusting designs, data etc provided by another contract.  DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) are rigorous about it.

There are some good parts in the GRIP process but I agree with Andrew Haines its un workably complex 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 20:13:20 »

If it's replaced by something simpler, with fewer steps, that should cut down the opportunities for unintelligent application. It should certainly reduce delays by reducing steps. If it's replaced by something simpler...

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 22:13:05 »

If it's replaced by something simpler, with fewer steps, that should cut down the opportunities for unintelligent application. It should certainly reduce delays by reducing steps. If it's replaced by something simpler...

What I thought was the issue - confirmed by that Andrew Haines quote - is that each of the stages is needed in some projects, and all are needed in big ones, but that in a lot of smaller projects some can be omitted (or signed off two at at time). So it's the driver's manual that needs changing - or who gets to be the driver.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 07:34:15 »

What I thought was the issue - confirmed by that Andrew Haines quote - is that each of the stages is needed in some projects, and all are needed in big ones, but that in a lot of smaller projects some can be omitted (or signed off two at at time). So it's the driver's manual that needs changing - or who gets to be the driver.

The GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process when applied as intended is a reasonable process.  GRIP is a series of "products" some mandated at certain stages other are optional.  One of the issues I have come across is where a Project Manager or a Scheme PM follow GRIP to the letter and not the intent of GRIP, even more worrying is when they insist on a product in GRIP but do not understand what they are actually asking form.  PM's are not the only one the Project Engineers can insist on a process because its in GRIP but actually may not be required.

GRIP does need an overhaul ................. there will be some railway project people at a loss or even bereaved when the GRIP goes or gets changed
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:45:11 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 09:12:04 »

In my understanding GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) is particularly bad at dealing with schemes that are not sponsored by 'the railway'.

Such a scenario might occur when an external sponsor - let's say, for example, North Somerset - knows that it wants a new railway connection, and has commissioned reports which satisfy it that passenger numbers make it viable. The customer has in effect completed GRIP 1 and 2, and has determined in outline what it required of GRIP 3. They then have to pay NR» (Network Rail - home page) to second-guess their conclusions, including NR determining whether the customer really needs the line at all. It's like going to a TV showroom and being asked by the sales person if you've considered reading a book instead. The process can take many years to get back to the point where NR agree that the customer was right to ask for a new line.

GRIP may have the potential to work very well when the railway is deciding its own priorities, but it doesn't seem to work when someone else is paying.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 17:21:34 »

According to my spies, GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) is to be replaced by PACE» (Police & Criminal Evidence Act - about):

The GRIP (Governance in Railway Investment Projects) process has been used for the last 10 years, and is being evolved into PACE (Project Acceleration in a Controlled Environment). The purpose of which is to delivery projects quicker, at lower cost and higher quality. PACE will start to be rolled out from the beginning of next year, but there will be many projects still going through the GRIP steps as it will take time to get the new PACE process right.
Source: Toby Elliott, Network Rail

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 18:36:27 »

One wonders if this will increase the pace that new projects progress?...
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 19:23:52 »

One wonders if this will increase the pace that new projects progress?...

The limiting factors in rail projects are funding, which a change to GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) may reduce overheads therefore more money to do more work.

However the biggest limitation is access ie no trains running to allow work to take place, some tasks can be done during while trains are running, but the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) are making in increasingly difficult to have staff out on the railway when trains are running

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: