Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:33:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[153] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[57] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[51] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[25] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[23] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking outside the box on Covid 19 vaccinations  (Read 2303 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 23:23:17 »

The low temprature, possibly indicates, there is some form of living, er virus in it, which has to be stoped from replicating, until in the body?

Not really just an unstable compound.  We know it is not living virus. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are a made of one of a group of complex chemicals called ribonucleic acid (RNA).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 23:46:11 »

The low temprature, possibly indicates, there is some form of living, er virus in it, which has to be stoped from replicating, until in the body?

As any fule knoweth, the so called vaccine actually contains micro technology illegally obtained from crashed alien spaceships. This is to render people EVEN MORE vulnerable to government mind control rays.
The unworthy will be killed by sending a coded 5G signal to activate the kill circuit.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 00:06:58 »

The very low temperatures needed to preserve one of the vaccines can be maintained by use of liquid nitrogen, or just about by dry ice.
Both are readily available.
Neither dry ice nor liquid nitrogen should be conveyed in any type of enclosed vehicle, including railway vehicles.
Suitable road vehicles include open pick up trucks, or other trucks with the cab completely separated from the load area, clear air space required between cab and load area. Small amounts may be conveyed by motorcycle.

Fortunately many large hospitals, and all NHS Advanced Therapy Treatment Centres, are used to routinely handling materials kept cold by dry ice (and even vapour phase nitrogen shippers). Consequently they already have safety procedures for this, and they are nothing like as restrictive as broadgage implies.

You might also ask yourself why Pfizer cam up with -70oC as a temperature. Did they work out exactly what was needed (for some reason still a mystery as far as I am concerned) and it just happened to be the standard value for dry ice storage? Or did they decide dry ice was needed, and translate that into a temperature?
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 13:33:55 »

Are we not getting a bit carried away with the -70 figure ? To inject the vaccine it must be a liquid - unless its given as an ice lolly !  It has already been said that the vaccine will survive up to 5 days in a "normal" fridge as part of the thawing/distribution process. The -70 figure certainly poses major problems in the third world but not in most of the developed world.

I would be a bit more concerned about the news that Dolly Parton gave a million dollars towards the development of the Moderna vaccine - imagine what that might do to you  Shocked Shocked ....and I'm not talking about your singing abilities either.............
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 15:20:52 »

As any fule knoweth, the so called vaccine actually contains micro technology illegally obtained from crashed alien spaceships. This is to render people EVEN MORE vulnerable to government mind control rays.
The unworthy will be killed by sending a coded 5G signal to activate the kill circuit.

Broadgage, seen recently in Bristol. (Photograph taken before lunch.)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 15:58:55 »

Such nonsense is regrettably widely believed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 16:44:03 »

Particularly in Stroud, for some reason.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 16:54:31 »

and the New Age centre of Totnes.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 17:11:01 »

And the 'old'age settlement of Glastonbury....we didn't hang around the other week!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 21:17:03 »

Drat, my masterplan for world domination has been both discovered and hijacked!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 21:41:25 »

and the New Age centre of Totnes.

The clues were there:edit, bah the Totnes road sign image didn't seem to work!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 21:49:29 by johnneyw » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 09:46:36 »

I'm sure most GP surgeries use healthcare assistants for most of their routine injections, though for a big campaign like seasonal flu it's a matter of all (qualified) hands turning out. My flu jab was done by an HCA this year, by appointment, as I was due a dose of shingles as well.

There are arguments going on about whether HCAs get enough supervision when doing this, since it's a job with no requirements for entry and qualifications are all modular. They are trained in the physical skill of injections, but not un reading and understanding medical documents. For a mass injection campaign, that wouldn't be an issue. I can't find anything to say how many there are with the qualification, or what the capacity is to train a lot of people in a rush.

My own surgery organised mass flu vaccination clinics this year, one for under 65s such as myself, one for the elderly. They took place in a local community centre. I got out of the car in the adjacent (free) car park, joined the short and moving queue, gave name rank and number to the front desk, and was directed to one of numerous stations. They were laid out so you didn't pass close to any of the others. I think it may have been one of the doctors who administered the jab, and bade me a cheery farewell before I left by the rear door. I was on my way home within 5 minutes maximum of leaving the car. One of our GPs is ex-military, which I think might have helped. A week later, friends in Bristol were still no nearer to being "done".

I had to have daily injections for a while almost 20 years ago, when I was going through chemotherapy. I didn't fancy a daily trip to hospital or doctors, so said I would do it myself. The nurse said he would show me, I told him I would prefer to do it myself under his direction, like I did when learning to tie my shoelaces all those weeks previously. 5 minutes later, I was proficient, although I didn't get a certificate. It isn't difficult, just don't use a plaster anywhere there may be small hairs. And don't wear a 19th century Peruvian admiral's dress uniform - you only need to get one of the buttons in the wrong hole to lose a whole morning. So a friend tells me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 17:22:32 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 15:38:37 »

Didcot Health Centre ran a few 'mass events' on Saturdays using the Civic Hall opposite. These included a 'walkthrough' one-way route through the garden into one of the gazebos and out again through a different exit or for people with mobility issues an alternative drive-through around the horseshoe shaped car park.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: