Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:08:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Winston Churchill, funeral train, Southern Pacifics to Paddington  (Read 2261 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: November 29, 2020, 17:52:05 »

..................and as for Waterloo............. Roll Eyes

That didn't seem to bother Churchill when he was planning his funeral train !

If the hearsay is true there may be more in that than you think!

It is said that when Churchill was planning his funeral he insisted that the train should leave from Waterloo despite the fact that, given the eventual destination ,Paddington would make much more sense. Railway managers tried to convince him but he became more insistent.

Eventually he said: Look. If De Gaulle dies before me it can leave from whichever damn station you like. But if I die before De Gaulle, it leaves from Waterloo!

Grin

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 18:09:47 »

..................and as for Waterloo............. Roll Eyes

That didn't seem to bother Churchill when he was planning his funeral train !

If the hearsay is true there may be more in that than you think!

It is said that when Churchill was planning his funeral he insisted that the train should leave from Waterloo despite the fact that, given the eventual destination ,Paddington would make much more sense. Railway managers tried to convince him but he became more insistent.

Eventually he said: Look. If De Gaulle dies before me it can leave from whichever damn station you like. But if I die before De Gaulle, it leaves from Waterloo!

Grin

Just a thought that popped into my mind - were Bulleid Pacifics passed to run into Paddington?  Maybe that's why it went from Waterloo? 
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 18:14:24 »

The De Gaulle line is good though.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 18:24:29 »

Just a thought that popped into my mind - were Bulleid Pacifics passed to run into Paddington?  Maybe that's why it went from Waterloo? 
I wouldn't have thought that would have been a problem given their axle loading compared to a King.

They did after all run over GWR (Great Western Railway) lines where Doube Red restricted engines could work, such as Bathampton to Bristol and Reading to Oxford. They also got to Birmingham now and again but thats another story!

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 19:41:27 »

I wouldn't have thought that would have been a problem given their axle loading compared to a King.

They did after all run over GWR (Great Western Railway) lines where Doube Red restricted engines could work, such as Bathampton to Bristol and Reading to Oxford. They also got to Birmingham now and again but thats another story!

Yes, you're probably right.  Looking into it a bit more, it strikes Waterloo was chosen because of the logistics of the whole funeral - his coffin being taken by boat from Tower Hill to close to Waterloo.  If the train had gone from Paddington, it would have needed another long procession through the streets of London to get to the station.  Anyway - back to topic........
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 20:30:47 »

From Beachcomber / Strange History

Today a bit of modern British history/myth. Beach will write it out as it was told to him. He would be interested to see whether there is any basis to the tale: it sounds very Churchillian, but it also has the exquisite stench of cobblers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 22:40:27 »

Today a bit of modern British history/myth. Beach will write it out as it was told to him. He would be interested to see whether there is any basis to the tale: it sounds very Churchillian, but it also has the exquisite stench of cobblers.

I congratulate you Graham as you have done exactly what I would have done when someone tells an unsubstantiated story; do some research and see if you can prove it or break it!

I did say that the story was hearsay so I have no personal axe to grind one way or another. However, there are one or two issues in the explanations that don?t ring particularly true when examined from a wholly railway perspective.

Firstly, the suggestion that there would have been no drivers qualified to drive a WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) out of Paddington is of course a red herring. There was no such thing as Traction Knowledge in steam days and drivers were required to drive whatever they were given. The more important issue would have been route knowledge and, whilst it is true that no SR(resolve) driver would know the road between Paddington and Reading, if a Nine Elms crew was given the job then a conductor would be provided, as would be the case today. In similar vein, I seem to recall that the engine worked through to its destination deep in GWR (Great Western Railway)/WR territory, and an SR crew may not have had route knowledge for that either.

I have already dealt with the alleged safety issue of running a WC on GWR metals.

Thirdly, I wonder who the steam crews were at Nine Elms who would know the road to Reading! I doubt there would have been many of them.

From a non-railway perspective, that funeral was covered by news organisations the world over. Somebody somewhere should have some archive footage to show whether or not the dockland cranes were bowing as the cortege went past.

Finally any government meeting held to discuss the funeral arrangements would have been minuted, and by now those minutes should be publicly available. These may shed some more light on what actually happened.

Once again, thanks for digging this out but personally I don?t believe or disbelieve this story any more now that I did before I posted!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 06:38:22 »

I congratulate you Graham as you have done exactly what I would have done when someone tells an unsubstantiated story; do some research and see if you can prove it or break it!

Thank you.  Story checking is pretty standard practise, and there are many online sources that help. Mind you, some experience is distinctly useful in knowing where to look, how much to trust, what other enquiries to make and how to combine evidence.  Our Rumour Mill board is a useful place for those stories that may be right but where there is significant doubt.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 06:59:04 »

I did say that the story was hearsay so I have no personal axe to grind one way or another. However, there are one or two issues in the explanations that don?t ring particularly true when examined from a wholly railway perspective.

Firstly, the suggestion that there would have been no drivers qualified to drive a WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) out of Paddington is of course a red herring. There was no such thing as Traction Knowledge in steam days and drivers were required to drive whatever they were given. The more important issue would have been route knowledge and, whilst it is true that no SR(resolve) driver would know the road between Paddington and Reading, if a Nine Elms crew was given the job then a conductor would be provided, as would be the case today. In similar vein, I seem to recall that the engine worked through to its destination deep in GWR (Great Western Railway)/WR territory, and an SR crew may not have had route knowledge for that either.

I have already dealt with the alleged safety issue of running a WC on GWR metals.

Thirdly, I wonder who the steam crews were at Nine Elms who would know the road to Reading! I doubt there would have been many of them.

From a non-railway perspective, that funeral was covered by news organisations the world over. Somebody somewhere should have some archive footage to show whether or not the dockland cranes were bowing as the cortege went past.

Finally any government meeting held to discuss the funeral arrangements would have been minuted, and by now those minutes should be publicly available. These may shed some more light on what actually happened.

Once again, thanks for digging this out but personally I don?t believe or disbelieve this story any more now that I did before I posted!

Re: the cranes dipping at Churchill's funeral, here is some footage of it happening (at 00:15 onwards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kPrTWsotlg
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 08:48:57 »

Did Bulleids work into Paddington on, say, railtours?  It would be interesting to know. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 09:35:30 »

Did Bulleids work into Paddington on, say, railtours?  It would be interesting to know. 

I appreciate you're asking about a past era, but here - 12th September 2020 - is "Braunton" at Paddington

And if you want unconverted ... "Tangmere" arriving in May 2013

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 11:03:44 »

The locomotive exchange trials back in 1948 saw some Bulleid workings using Merchant Navy locos 35017 and 35019 with Nine Elms crews on Paddington to Plymouth expresses. (see here)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 11:14:35 »

Moderators - this is fascinating stuff, but we've drifted a long way off inappropriate pictures - time for a "Churchill's funeral and use of Bulleid pacifics on the Western Region" thread somewhere? (Keep 'em coming BTW (by the way)!)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 11:21:56 »

The locomotive exchange trials back in 1948 saw some Bulleid workings using Merchant Navy locos 35017 and 35019 with Nine Elms crews on Paddington to Plymouth expresses. (see here)

I have been trawling through Six Bells Junction for the last hour with no success, then turned to the Exhange Trials when I found the same information as above.

Then I came to post about it and found that Id been beaten to it by 15 minutes  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 12:01:41 »

Moderators - this is fascinating stuff, but we've drifted a long way off inappropriate pictures - time for a "Churchill's funeral and use of Bulleid pacifics on the Western Region" thread somewhere? (Keep 'em coming BTW (by the way)!)

Yes - agreed.   Split from http://www.passenger.chat/11558.0

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: