Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 21:23:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[294] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[103] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[61] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[54] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[26] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[25] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Salvesen Steals Our Trains  (Read 6219 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:59:09 »

The architect of community rail , and the author of re - opening bible "Beeching In Reverse" has been unmasked as the man who helped steal our Class 158 units (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/04/bright_future_for_rail_line.html#more

"Substansial investment is being earmarked to revolutionise travel on the Tyne Valley railway line.

The line has been plagued with closure rumours for decades.

But now operator Northern Rail is planning an extensive investment programme to improve and expand services.

New trains, replacing the old ^Pacer^ units, are to be introduced on local routes.

Also under consideration is the creation of bus links to Tyne Valley stations, better car parking and the opening of facilities such as convenience stores and information desks.

Since it took over the franchise almost two years ago, Northern Rail has seen a 20 per cent increase in passengers on the line.

Its head of community and rail strategies Dr Paul Salveson said the new investment would not only improve the travel experience for rail users, it would maximise use of the line and attract tourists to the area.

Speaking at a public transport conference in Newcastle, he said: ^Railways can support rural social enterprise and rural economic development, bringing people in from cities and towns.

^Stations must be seen as key hubs for rural transport, with adequate car parking, good quality interchange facilities, taxis and safe storage space for bikes.

^The actual function of the station is important. Why don^t we have more convenience stores at stations, selling local produce?

^We are willing to make space available at our stations for social enterprises involved in leisure activities, such as bike hire, cafes, etc.^

Dr Salveson gave Hexham and Haltwhistle as examples of how railway stations could be used as community hubs.

The Tyne Valley Rail Partnership is based at Hexham station, which also houses a restaurant, while Haltwhistle^s tourist information centre operates from an old booking office at the station.

Dr Salveson said Northern Rail had already clinched a deal to replace 24 of the ageing ^Pacer^ trains with newer and better quality ^158^ models ^ and stressed that the company was trying to update even more of its rolling stock."

"He added: ^Whilst it is good that people are using rail for the main leg of their journey, it puts pressure on car parking space and generates car journeys in rural areas.

^If there is scope for working with bus operators to develop more integrated services, we would be up for it. We also want to encourage more people to walk and cycle to stations.^

He also said Northern Rail was developing an ^eco station^ concept where stations become a ^beacon of local sustainable development.^

Here is an interesting archive link.....
http://www.transport2000.org.uk/news/maintainNewsArticles.asp?NewsArticleID=6

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 14:24:45 »

I was involved in an email exchange with Dr Salversen in his previous role with the Association of Community Rail Partnerships.  But he / they shared with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) the dubious honour of being negative in the extreme and looking to brush off our approaches / look forward for improvements.  I could understand why I got the attitude from the DfT - after all, we were appealing against a decision just made but I was flummoxed by Dr Paul.   In hindsight, perhaps he had already moved on in spirit and was looking at the best way to forward the interests of his upcoming employers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:58:09 »

I was involved in an email exchange with Dr Salversen in his previous role with the Association of Community Rail Partnerships.  But he / they shared with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) the dubious honour of being negative in the extreme and looking to brush off our approaches / look forward for improvements.  I could understand why I got the attitude from the DfT - after all, we were appealing against a decision just made but I was flummoxed by Dr Paul.   In hindsight, perhaps he had already moved on in spirit and was looking at the best way to forward the interests of his upcoming employers.

I got a similiar brush off from Richard Burningham (e-mail below dated 26/02/2006) , who has run the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership for over eight years. He was referring to the CANBER (Campaign Against the New Beeching Report) website (link below.)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/G1517

Dear Lee,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I've had a look at your website and I've got to say, with great respect, that I think you're wrong.

I've been running the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership for nearly eight years. We promote six branch lines across the two counties - most of which inevitably top any press list of lines at risk.  As you can imagine, I watch very carefully for any sign of a change in Government or railway policy which may threaten any of these lines.

There is no chance whatsoever of the Government taking the action you describe. I have it from the lips of Department of Transport officials that while the Government is interested in saving money (after all the subsidy is now something like 5 times the amount BR (British Rail(ways)) received), it is absolutely not interested in closing lines.

Instead, as you may know, we have the Community Rail Development Strategy which is all about developing these lines.  We have three lines taking part in a national pilot in the South West and my colleagues and I are working hard with the rail industry, our local authority partners and others to implement the strategy.   Last year the strategy allowed the introduction of a half-hourly service on the St Ives Bay line which led to large increases in patronage and revenue.

I notice you have included press releases expressing concern about the First Great Western timetable proposal for December.  I too am concerned about these and am working up alternative proposals to put to First.  First themselves have told me they will be as flexible as the franchise specification allows - something I and others are talking to the Department of Transport about.

These proposals are nothing to do with closures or anything like it - in fact, despite the fact we have these problems with some of the timetable proposals, the new franchise itself safeguards many of the improvements secured over the last few years, not least all year Sunday services on some Cornish branch lines.

I hope this helps.  I really can assure you that there will be no "New Beeching Report" or anything like it next year or as far ahead as I can see now.  What we do need to do though is get a lot of these current timetable proposals changed and there is still just over a week for people to respond to the timetable consultation.

Yours,

Richard Burningham,

Manager, Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

I am in possession of reports commissioned by the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) / DfT which consider potential closures in some detail. Frankly , I found his attitude to be somewhat patronising.

Here is an interesting archive Christian Wolmar article which mentions Dr Paul Salvesen (link below.)
http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/articles/rail/533.shtml

"Therefore, I would suggest that my friends at ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) should not try to shoot the messenger."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 14:16:16 »

I don't recognise Mr Burningham's viewpoint / view in our area ....

I notice you have included press releases expressing concern about the First Great Western timetable proposal for December.  I too am concerned about these and am working up alternative proposals to put to First.  First themselves have told me they will be as flexible as the franchise specification allows - something I and others are talking to the Department of Transport about.

I think First have mislead Mr B ... at least they would have been doing so if they made those comments concerning the Westbury - Swindon service.   The HAVE been as flexible as the specification allows by moving the trains to the extreme ends of what the franchise allows ... so that the train can be taken OFF the line to provide servies on other lines at the peak time.  This is against the spirit of the specification, but it is a correct stament to say that First have been as flexible as possible ... in the interest of their own costs and profit rather than of the passengers.

These proposals are nothing to do with closures or anything like it - in fact, despite the fact we have these problems with some of the timetable proposals, the new franchise itself safeguards many of the improvements secured over the last few years, not least all year Sunday services on some Cornish branch lines.

Our timetable improved by 250% in 2001, and as a result the ticket sales grew 8 fold. The service levels have now been reversed, with the new timings abbysmal, and the extra traffic lost.  And the service has fixed that dreadful service - unless for some miracle - for 10 years.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 15:14:42 »

I don't recognise Mr Burningham's viewpoint / view in our area ....

I think First have mislead Mr B ... at least they would have been doing so if they made those comments concerning the Westbury - Swindon service.   The HAVE been as flexible as the specification allows by moving the trains to the extreme ends of what the franchise allows ... so that the train can be taken OFF the line to provide servies on other lines at the peak time.  This is against the spirit of the specification, but it is a correct stament to say that First have been as flexible as possible ... in the interest of their own costs and profit rather than of the passengers.

It should be remembered that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) changed the Westbury - Swindon service specification to allow FGW (First Great Western) to do this. See link below.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1688.msg4720#msg4720

Our timetable improved by 250% in 2001, and as a result the ticket sales grew 8 fold. The service levels have now been reversed, with the new timings abbysmal, and the extra traffic lost.  And the service has fixed that dreadful service - unless for some miracle - for 10 years..

There has to be some doubt , in my view , whether the Westbury - Swindon service will last until the end of the franchise , given that passenger figures have already dropped dramatically.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: