Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:08:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.12.2020 - Some old timetables, but where for and just how old.  (Read 4083 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 18:56:00 »

As regards the actual timetables, no 5 has stations that are notably evenly spaced as well as being close together. That, its length, and the poor Sunday service suggest it is mostly a commuter line* in a large town or small city, but I can't place it yet.

*The fact that there are no more trains at rush hour times still confirms this to me. I remember just how poor the timing of some commuter services were just at the times you need them.

Possibly 1980s.

MANY thanks for your feedback of the quiz; I might reuse this particular formula again some time before Christmas.  I have a couple of member who have offered to do GUEST DAYS ... help further with variety, and such fun to set and (I am told!) to answer  Grin. ... a couple more offers would be gratefully accepted too.

Right ... number 5. Classic single train shuttling up and down; I don't know how much commuter traffic there was - but sadly there was not enough total traffic and the service no longer runs, the tracks have been torn up, and you'll see sad pictures on "disused stations".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 19:21:55 »

I think no. 3 is Maidenhead-High Wycombe - you've already given the date - early sixties - which stylistically looks right as well.

Yes ... just had time to confirm before my next meeting. Here are the full timetables in each direction, summer of 1963.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 21:21:31 »

I'm going to have a very wild guess that 6 is somewhere in the USA.

Sounds plausible, because of the use of train numbers at the top of each column, plus ?[redacted] time? - suggesting a country with various time zones.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 21:23:28 »

I think No. 7 is from North America and quite recently. The wording 'Rail Station' is not East Atlantic English and I swear I read the word 'Transit' on the page behind - in reverse of course. Was it 2018 you and your good lady took the cruise?

But you can also read ?Wiltshire? on the back - so it?s closer to home.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 22:48:58 »

I am underwhelmed by guesses too - please free to make multiple guesses

On that note, there is something about No. 1 that suggest Yeovil possibly even Swindon (and dare I say Melksham) down to Weymouth. It is the sparce Sunday service with just the last two stations served. Time: in the 1990s. The letter 'b' looks like a request stop notation of sorts

Looking back at the data, I can see that pattern - but it's a long way from there.  "Something about the pattern", yes, indeed.  The first part of the route shown in the table now has a much better service (though not faring well under Covid) correction - it's closed - I misread the bit torn off but the rest of the line has been closed - that was within a few years of the timetable I have shown. The final section now offers a heritage service.   Almost a microcosm of how the sparse services have gone and the more frequent ones have built up - wasn't it "twice the number of passenger journeys being made by train, but I half the route mileage"?

I have just gone back and corrected my hint, which was - err - plain wrong.  Sorry folks.

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 00:04:51 »

I'm going to have a very wild guess that 6 is somewhere in the USA.

No. 6, Shipping lines had timetables like that with fixed places and return times reading bottom up. 1930s my guess.

I think No. 7 is from North America and quite recently. The wording 'Rail Station' is not East Atlantic English and I swear I read the word 'Transit' on the page behind - in reverse of course. Was it 2018 you and your good lady took the cruise?

No. 6 is indeed in the USA.    My wife and I did indeed take a cruise to that country last autumn, but the timetable 'sampled' was purchased in Birmingham (England) the previous spring.  Much more recent than the 1930s.

I think 6 is the Chicago Burlington & Quincy between Chicago and Kansas City. Trains 35/36 and 55/56 are the Kansas City Zephyr and the American Royal Zephyr respectively. Presumably the era is immediately before Amtrak, so 1960s?
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 00:49:55 »

2 is Par - Newquay. 1962ish
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 02:23:34 »

Yes, it is. Right in both aspects. Summer of 1963 - same book as the Maidenhead to High Wycombe table. Quite a rarity in the examples I have looked at, as most services have been totally lost or greatly improved over the last 60 years.  Perhaps with a return of a morning commutable / day out from Newquay train, then maybe Mid-Cornwall Metro, we'll see this line following that same (the more positive) trend in coming years.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 02:33:12 »

I think 6 is the Chicago Burlington & Quincy between Chicago and Kansas City. Trains 35/36 and 55/56 are the Kansas City Zephyr and the American Royal Zephyr respectively. Presumably the era is immediately before Amtrak, so 1960s?

Spot on ... and 1966

Really amazed that I can take a random, interesting-looking page from an obscure overseas publication that a vendor was offloading cheap, strip out all the key words and have a member identify it exactly. Truly we have some  impressive members here.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 02:45:13 »

Here is an update - refreshing the timetables not yet worked out.

2. Par - Newquay, 1963. RichardB

3. Maidenhead - High Wycombe, 1963, Stuving

6. Chicago - Kansas, 1966, JontyMort

7. Westbury - Swindon, 1992, bobM

9. Uckfield and East Grinstead to Crodon, Tonbridge, London - JontyMort and RichardB

All remaining un-identified timetables are from Great Britain, though only one is former GWR (Great Western Railway).  Two of them remain mostly (but not totally) open; three have gone as lines between the places, though at least one station on all three of them remains open for other services to other places. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:06:23 by grahame » Logged

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:25 »

Really amazed that I can take a random, interesting-looking page from an obscure overseas publication that a vendor was offloading cheap, strip out all the key words and have a member identify it exactly. Truly we have some  impressive members here.

<blush> I think I might have been struggling if you hadn?t left the word ?City? in ?Kansas City?. The thought process was that (i) it couldn?t involve the Rockies - because the speeds are quite high (ii) the Washington-NY-Boston route was out because the frequency wasn?t enough and you wouldn?t really call that eastbound and westbound (iii) so the speeds, orientation, and distances indicated the plains - for which the natural starting point was Chicago Union. Then there are not that many ?Cities? and the distance to Kansas City looked about right.

I?m in full Amtrak mode at present, and as a gesture of confidence have re-booked my New York-Chicago-San Francisco run (Lake Shore Limited/California Zephyr) for next October - it should have been this year.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 13:14:22 »

Yes, it is. Right in both aspects. Summer of 1963 - same book as the Maidenhead to High Wycombe table. Quite a rarity in the examples I have looked at, as most services have been totally lost or greatly improved over the last 60 years.  Perhaps with a return of a morning commutable / day out from Newquay train, then maybe Mid-Cornwall Metro, we'll see this line following that same (the more positive) trend in coming years.

Quite an interesting timetable.  Trains crossed at Roche but within a year the loop was lifted reducing the capacity. 
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 14:00:50 »

Is 5 the Exmouth branch, before the new stations started appearing?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 14:06:58 »

Is 5 the Exmouth branch, before the new stations started appearing?

It isn't - though the journey times look roughly right.  Look much further east, and this one's not (G)WR

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 17:57:55 »

On 9, the two rows of connection times - but clearly not long distances - are suspicious. I reckon the penultimate row of through train times is London Bridge, the last line of through times is Cannon Street and the two lines below are Waterloo East and Charing Cross.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: