Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:45:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Government cuts rail infrastructure budget  (Read 2551 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 04, 2020, 05:21:31 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

The government has cut ?1bn from the rail infrastructure budget following the chancellor's Spending Review.

Rishi Sunak had previously promised record infrastructure investment as part of the government's "levelling up" agenda.

Until now, Network Rail's "enhancement" budget for the five year period from 2019-24 had been set at ?10.4bn.
But, this week rail minister Chris Heaton-Harris said that the budget would now be ?9.4bn.

That has put a question mark over some long-planned improvements to rail infrastructure.

And the rail industry has raised concerns that the budget could be cut by as much as 10% overall if the government tries to claw back some funding that it was unable to spend this year, partly because of the pandemic.

The cuts were not mentioned in Spending Review documentation, which stressed record investment in strategic road and rail projects.

The shortfall is likely to leave some projects without funding. Meanwhile, the government is believed to have told the industry to concentrate on so-called "Northern Powerhouse" rail and reversing the Beeching cuts, which closed thousands of miles of railway in the sixties. Both plans featured in Boris Johnson's manifesto.

Since the start of the pandemic, the government has spent billions subsidising the rail network, so that trains were able to continue running during lockdown, even as commuters stayed at home.

Article continues

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 07:01:32 »

Speak with forked tongue?
The PM said the "ambitious" target would see the UK (United Kingdom) cutting emissions faster than any major economy so far.

And he urged other world leaders to follow his lead at a virtual climate summit on 12 December.
from
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55179008
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 07:20:38 »

Network Rail has been anticipating that a budget cut for enhancements and renewals was likely.  The review of the project portfolio was carried out in April.   Percentage cuts and various levels were allowed for.

I expect NR» (Network Rail - home page) will announce they are disappointed about the cuts, but understand the situation the economy is in and will work to reduce the impact this will have.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:29:07 »

On the other side of the equation the recent 'Project Speed' introduced by Andrew Haines, Network Rail's Chief Executive, is intended to speed up project design and execution and reduce costs. Somewhere I have read recently (though I am afraid I can no longer find the reference) that using 'Speed' principles two years and some ?25million  have been taken out of the proposal to reopen the line to Okehampton to regular passenger services.

If this can be repeated for other proposals/projects then this (real or proposed) reduction in funding may not be quite so severe in practice as one might think at first sight.

I hope that I am not being overly optimistic.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 14:08:56 »

Okehampton reference is in December edition of Modern Railways

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 16:35:25 »

On the other side of the equation the recent 'Project Speed' introduced by Andrew Haines, Network Rail's Chief Executive, is intended to speed up project design and execution and reduce costs. Somewhere I have read recently (though I am afraid I can no longer find the reference) that using 'Speed' principles two years and some ?25million  have been taken out of the proposal to reopen the line to Okehampton to regular passenger services.

If this can be repeated for other proposals/projects then this (real or proposed) reduction in funding may not be quite so severe in practice as one might think at first sight.

I wonder what using "Speed" principles could have saved on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and Crossrail?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 17:51:03 »

I wonder what using "Speed" principles could have saved on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and Crossrail?

Neither of which are Network Rail project

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 19:01:32 »

Neither of which are Network Rail project

Should that prevent the sharing of good practice in the same industry with colossal amounts of public money at stake?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 19:05:55 »

If Network Rail are only just adopting it, how can it be described (yet) as 'best practice'?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 19:46:33 »

On the other hand, perhaps Crossrail construction should have been slowed down...

From Construction News
Political pressure to start work meant that design problems on Crossrail were not addressed properly, its chief executive has said.

Reflecting on lessons learned from the London rail project, Mark Wild said political pressure to speed up start times should be resisted on future schemes.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 20:35:07 »

On the other hand, perhaps Crossrail construction should have been slowed down...

From Construction News
Political pressure to start work meant that design problems on Crossrail were not addressed properly, its chief executive has said.

Reflecting on lessons learned from the London rail project, Mark Wild said political pressure to speed up start times should be resisted on future schemes.

I am a firm believer in designing the whole thing before you start. The worst example of where this was not done that I can think of is WCML (West Coast Main Line) upgrade of the 1990's where Railtrack committed to providing increased line capacity without even working out what work would be needed to achieve it!

Clearly you also need to work out the best option for a scheme.

However, the amount of work required to plan a simple project is much less than a project like HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). AIUI (as I understand it) project speed is about applying an appropriate governance to a project depending on its complexity. So I would guess less saving possible on Crossrail (except perhaps all the delay caused by political arguments about which direction it should go at the East and West ends) than for say Portway Parkway Station. 

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 07:56:45 »

The big stumbling block to the Andrew Haines "revolution" of GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) and NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s project delivery process, is more likely to be the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and not the internal railway industry

Andrew Haines is asking all of NR to be "revolting"  Shocked  Revolting in terms of challenge the process of getting projects and maintenance delivered without compromising safety, the DfT and ORR are known for being ubercourteous to extreme and not the quickest in responding. 

4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 12:33:56 »

Okehampton reference is in December edition of Modern Railways
Yes, thank you!

My copy of MR (Midland Railway) arrived - about a week later than the normal monthly schedule - after you posted. I obviously read the reference in Roger Ford's monthly email preview a couple of weeks ago. The issues with getting older...!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 15:28:45 »

Probably delayed by the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) requiring a correction to their Stonehaven accident coverage....
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 16:22:50 »

My Modern Railways arrived yesterday, I had rung them on Monday and it appeared that many subscribers were having the same problem.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: