06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 08:09:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Riveria Sleeper Carriages Suspended again  (Read 6100 times)
lj3
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2020, 14:46:57 »

Just spent close to an hour sifting through the complicated and conflicting information on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website regarding the Night Riveria sleeper over christmas. Gave up and decided to phone ticket sales only to be told that the Night Riveria Sleeper bookings have been suspended over christmas whilst they review cabin sharing policies. I asked why the website and journey planner/timetables havn't been updated to be told that this "has only just happened."

I don't see any particularly good reason for this, coronavirus rules havn't suddenly changed and surely they can just sell one berth per person or for people in the same bubble? Caledonian Sleeper seem to manage just fine.

I just get the impression that some operators aren't interested in attracting passengers back to the railways at all.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 20:31:01 »

Just spent close to an hour sifting through the complicated and conflicting information on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website regarding the Night Riveria sleeper over christmas. Gave up and decided to phone ticket sales only to be told that the Night Riveria Sleeper bookings have been suspended over christmas whilst they review cabin sharing policies. I asked why the website and journey planner/timetables havn't been updated to be told that this "has only just happened."

I don't see any particularly good reason for this, coronavirus rules havn't suddenly changed and surely they can just sell one berth per person or for people in the same bubble? Caledonian Sleeper seem to manage just fine.

I just get the impression that some operators aren't interested in attracting passengers back to the railways at all.

Are people still expected to share cabins with strangers on the sleeper?
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 21:04:05 »

No, not a requirement. Night Rivera always allowed single occupancy.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 21:13:03 »

Closure by stealth.
GWR (Great Western Railway) can not drop the sleeper on a whim as it is a franchise requirement. However frequent closures, part closures and downgrades will help by reducing patronage to the point where dropping it is easier to justify.

And when it does run, making it a connecting service via Reading does not help either.

Surveys will show that;

1) Only a small percentage of passengers use it.
2) Most customers would prefer something else.
3) An at seat sleeping arrangement would be preferable.

The survey may have already been done.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 01:19:10 »

When over Christmas are you looking at? From what I remember the sleeper always stops running over Christmas. This year it's not running from 24th December to 2nd January.

If it's before the 24th December, you should still be able to book over the phone via an amended booking system that's been put in place due to an issue with the existing system (so can't be done online or ticket offices at the moment).
lj3
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:22:00 »

I was looking at the 22nd, which still shows up on journey planner, realtimetrains, etc, and you can in theory purchase a ticket for it it looks like, but on phoning gwr i'm told its seated only with no sleeper berths available.
The night riveria page says to phone to book berths. I can't find any mention of it on the "paper" timetables page, (or indeed any dedicated london to cornwall paper timetable any more??)
The engineering works page says nothing about it stopping, nor does the coronavirus page.

I tend to agree with broadgage, closure by stealth. maybe it only serves GWR (Great Western Railway) to run it in peak summer holiday season to catch the holiday crowds now? Whats next, overnight bus replacement service from cornwall to london? Angry

When GWR say "due to a problem with our reservations system" I'd love to know what that actually means. And when the advisor said to me the cancellation has "only just happened", I wonder when exactly management decided this...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 10:14:15 »

I have done a bit of investigation and been told the suspension is not virus related but due to a problem with the national reservation system.  It is certainly the intention to have reservations available for pre-Christmas services but when they will be on-sale is not known yet.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:29:57 »

I have done a bit of investigation and been told the suspension is not virus related but due to a problem with the national reservation system.  It is certainly the intention to have reservations available for pre-Christmas services but when they will be on-sale is not known yet.

I would have thought that most people will have made their Christmas plans by now ... and it's a bit late to start advertising / booking a sleeper service, even if it's in the next few days.  On a local level, we have noted that if a train is flagged up as "not running" but never the less turns up, it typically conveys few passengers.  Not clever, especially if people are being told "no" as told to lj3 ... even if the answer should really be "not yet" as told to bobm.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 12:31:15 »

I think it was possible to book the sleeper for pre-Christmas journeys until around a week ago so some may have already been able to complete their travel plans.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 17:48:33 »

The issue with the booking system has now been fixed and berths can be booked through the usual channels again.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 21:36:10 »

What have the sleepers loadings been like in recent months?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 16:42:17 »

What have the sleepers loadings been like in recent months?

Less than dozen  per train, one of those lovely new purpose designed modern Hitachi trains could carry many times that figure.

(the sleeper has a maximum capacity of 60 during the week, sometimes increasing to 75 at weekends, the "real, representative average is reportedly about 40 passengers. "less than a dozen on average" sounds better when trying to withdraw the service. "less than a dozen" is absolutely true provided that the average incudes enough days on which the service was not available and therefore carried no one.)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 17:15:21 »

With franchising now dead, any decision on whether it should continue of not will be in the hands of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (or their successor in the form of some kind of national rail body that's being mooted) and within the management contracts they prescribe.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 22:26:19 »

Trying to book for early February, and struggling. 
lj3
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 17:28:39 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) claim the sleeper is running and bookable again, but the daily journeycheck advice says that the sleeper will be replaced by a """high"" speed" train each day. so they are continuing to let people book sleeper berths with no intention of actually running the sleeper train?
I wonder what its like trying to sleep on a BRIGHT hitachi train? do the lights even dim or turn off?  Huh
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: