Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:47:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathrow Express 332s  (Read 7896 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2020, 14:10:17 »

Seems to be hard to track down previous stuff about this, (the upcoming operation of HEx by GWR (Great Western Railway) 387s is covered in the TfL» (Transport for London - about) section Huh for some strange reason), but this morning saw two 332 units hauled to Sims at Newport for scrap.  Another was taken by road to be scrapped a few weeks ago.

I?d anticipate they?ll all be gone by Christmas.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 14:23:23 »

Seems to be hard to track down previous stuff about this, (the upcoming operation of HEx by GWR (Great Western Railway) 387s is covered in the TfL» (Transport for London - about) section Huh for some strange reason), but this morning saw two 332 units hauled to Sims at Newport for scrap.  Another was taken by road to be scrapped a few weeks ago.

Paul

Noting the potential need for a thread move. Hands full at the moment but will take a look afterwards.

Going wider, noting pictures of class 153 units (? carriages) in "long term store" in Burton-on-Trent; reminds me off where we started with 153s in store at Eastleigh while there was a cry for more services in certain places.   

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 14:29:46 »

I think they're keeping a few until early next year to allow for any cock-ups during the transition phase, but training and testing of the 387s is largely complete I believe.  Complete enough to run a full service at least.

Obviously a young age to send a train for scrap at just over 20 years, especially an EMU (Electric Multiple Unit), but they are in a pretty knackered state. 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 15:41:50 »

Parts are being recovered for use in the similar west Yorkshire units

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 17:37:16 »

Paul

Noting the potential need for a thread move. Hands full at the moment but will take a look afterwards.

The other board was renamed less than to years ago  see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21106.0. Grahame's rationale was:
As of 24th February (2019 for anyone finding this is the archive), some Coffee Shop boards have been re-arranged.  This board which was formerly Heathrow Express, Connect etc has been widened to cover any and all Transport for London services ... bearing in mind just how many of our members connect onwards to TfL services, and how TfL services are coming onto the lines out from Paddington too.   Heathrow services which are moving or have moved to GWR will be rehomed under Thames Valley Branches

So should it have been transport in London, rather than Transport For London? Heathrow is at least in Greater London ...
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 18:56:32 »

It does seem a little daft bearing in mind that a lot of money is being spent on the considerably 319s turning them (very slowly!) into 769s.

I have no doubt there is a practical reason why they could not have been converted, or indeed why someone could not add ancillary diesel engines to 387s to fill the same need. I'll let those who understand these things explain!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 19:00:25 »

It does seem a little daft bearing in mind that a lot of money is being spent on the considerably 319s turning them (very slowly!) into 769s.

I have no doubt there is a practical reason why they could not have been converted, or indeed why someone could not add ancillary diesel engines to 387s to fill the same need. I'll let those who understand these things explain!

Perhaps the main reason is that there are too few of them (14), with too little in common with other fleets to make them a good prospect for maintenance.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 20:06:48 »

Perhaps the main reason is that there are too few of them (14), with too little in common with other fleets to make them a good prospect for maintenance.
Also they are only equipped with the Western's version of ATP (Automatic Train Protection). If they were to be used anywhere else then that would have to be stripped out and replaced by AWS (Automatic Warning System)/TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System). For only 14 units would that be worth it?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 20:10:55 »

The units have had problems with the bogies, the body shells are quite badly corroded.  At 20 years old hey would be due for a half life overhaul about now which BAA perhaps do not wish to fund, also the depot at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) has to go to make way for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) which BAA would have to part fund the build of a new depot plus all the route clearance involved.  Whereas the 387 operated by GWR (Great Western Railway) for BAA is a much more cost effective option

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 20:13:02 »

Also they are only equipped with the Western's version of ATP (Automatic Train Protection). If they were to be used anywhere else then that would have to be stripped out and replaced by AWS (Automatic Warning System)/TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System). For only 14 units would that be worth it?

Given the likelihood of many other EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) being surplus to requirements in the next couple of years that are younger, in better condition and more suitable, I think the answer is definitely no.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 12:39:32 »

Thread probably needs a rename / merge ...

From Breaking Travel News

Heathrow Express launches first fleet refresh in two decades

Heathrow Express has launched a newly refurbished fleet of 12 Class 387 trains, the first refresh since the service launched over 20 years ago.

In keeping with Heathrow Express? sustainability values, the fleet has been up-cycled from GWR (Great Western Railway), with upgraded interiors fitted out to a high and exacting standard.

The trains also have regenerative braking which mean trains slow by electric motor rather than brake shoes and discs.

Article continues ... on passenger facilities ...

Passengers will also have a more comfortable journey with more space for wheelchair users, double the number of toilets and a continuous gangway through the whole train.

Replacing the old Class 332s, the new fleet will provide Heathrow passengers with an unrivalled 15-minute journey with an even better and more reliable journey with plenty of space, luggage storage and fast on-board 4G enabled Wi-Fi, which will work continuously across Heathrow.

The modern interiors include USB plugs with every plug socket, making it easier for international passengers to charge devices while they travel.

Every carriage has more and improved TV screens showing live flight and rail connection updates, daily news highlights and shopping deals at Heathrow.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 13:31:58 »

And better acceleration and an extra 10mph top speed to help slightly with punctuality.

I still don't think Heathrow Express will be running for too long after the Elizabeth Line services start up, unless as part of the Western Rail Link to Heathrow...though that has gone a little quiet lately.

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 16:03:57 »

Hadn't realised HEx had on-board toilets. Certainly not needed on that length of journey but I suppose for their target market (some of whom will pay an extra tenner for First Class for a 15 minute journey on a train that's rarely crowded even in normal times) it probably helps to go on the move as it were having dashed to the train from a taxi, rather than wasting precious time using the facilities at either end!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 16:10:44 »

And better acceleration and an extra 10mph top speed to help slightly with punctuality.

I still don't think Heathrow Express will be running for too long after the Elizabeth Line services start up, unless as part of the Western Rail Link to Heathrow...though that has gone a little quiet lately.

You could be right, although they may retain a semi fast service to Heathrow

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 07:04:55 »

Hadn't realised HEx had on-board toilets. Certainly not needed on that length of journey but I suppose for their target market (some of whom will pay an extra tenner for First Class for a 15 minute journey on a train that's rarely crowded even in normal times) it probably helps to go on the move as it were having dashed to the train from a taxi, rather than wasting precious time using the facilities at either end!

But no toilets on the Elizabeth Line, for a far longer journey. If you have dashed from the car park to the train on the commute (sorry should this be in the historical topic) it could be a long time to cross your legs before you can use the facilities at the other end.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: