Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:58:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Offensive Weapons Act 2019  (Read 9762 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 11, 2020, 10:19:01 »

The possession of certain items which many regarded as offensive weapons is now prohibited ... and others such as certain ceremonial or historic pieces must now be kept in private.  I don't think we have many members who have habitually carried swords with them on trains ... but for that tiny minority who do, may I point you to the compensation scheme (here) which offers you GBP for a knuckle duster, GBP 20 for a telescopic truncheon and GBP 15 for a curved sword ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 10:25:34 »

Right now I'd give 2 quid for my dagger shaped letter opener.   Was here yesterday and now can't find it at all!!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 18:53:49 »

I believe metal hair combs were outlawed at the same time as knuckle dusters. Apparently used to be sharpened to leave a nasty mark on people.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 18:54:22 »

I don't think we have many members who have habitually carried swords with them on trains ... but for that tiny minority who do, may I point you to the compensation scheme GBP 15 for a curved sword ...

That reminds me of when in 1985 I was flying from Edinburgh to Heathrow with a group of others from my RN ship. One of the party was our First Lieutenant who was attending a wedding that weekend. He actually got as far as the aircraft door carrying his (very expensive) dress uniform sword !! After a discussion with the cabin crew they took it from him and put it in the crew coats locker. He was back on board on Monday I so presume he didn't have too much bother coming back with it either. I don't think he would surrender that for 15 quid !!   It was certainly not uncommon to see swords being carried on trains.
I suppose back in those (g)olden days people still possessed common sense.....
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 20:29:15 »

A few years earlier in 1962/3/4 I was a member of the college shooting club. Once a week we used to collect our 0.22 Martini target rifles from the college armoury, a couple of steel boxes of ammunition, targets and so on and take the 137 bus from Battersea Park Road to Sloane Square and walk to the Duke of York Barracks in the Kings Road with the guns over our shoulders.

The same on the way back a couple of hours later.

Nobody batted an eyelid...
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 20:51:21 »

I keep all my keys on my Swiss Army Knife and take it anywhere apart from if I take a flight, then it's strictly just a loose door key.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 22:33:23 »

It's become a bit of a problem over the last few years when wearing ones Kilt in public.
The usual wearing of the skean duh tends to be frowned upon.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:21:15 »

You can buy what look to me like knuckle dusters from amazon and from fleabay, generally called "hand grips for go-pro cameras" or some other harmless sounding item.
amazon regularly sell pepper spray which has been illegal in the UK (United Kingdom) for as long as I can remember.
Baseball bats are actually sold as "self defence equipment" by some on line suppliers without even any pretence of sporting use.
Some otherwise sensible websites have adverts that say [your location] police recomend always to carry this new self defence tool" with a link to an  illegal stun gun or pepper spray, or a flick knife concealed in a fake cellphone.

Also readily available on line are "Asps" or extenable batons, which AFAIK (as far as I know) are illegal to carry in public the UK, and MAY be iellegal to posses. "extenable outdoor tool" or even "extenable flag pole"  are a couple of the more inventive descriptions. Asp is in fact a trade mark, but the term is often applied to any make of etendable baton.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:40:56 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 08:02:15 »

You can do some nasty damage with a Port bottle and a crystal ball too!!!  Wink
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 13:30:15 »

You can do some nasty damage with a Port bottle and a crystal ball too!!!  Wink

Indeed, but I never have. I am not a violent person and consider violence very much a last resort. Some of the youth these days seem to regard "a good punch up" as being part of a night out.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 15:11:33 »

A small part of the youth these days regard a punch up as part of a night out, as do a small part of the not-youth. That has long been the case and in fact rates of violent crime not just in the UK (United Kingdom) but worldwide seem to be declining. One theory is that this is a positive result of the removal of lead from petrol. It was way back in the 70s when pop stars like Elton John, The Jam and Thin Lizzy sang lyrics such as 'Saturday night's alright for fighting', 'lights going out and a kick in the balls, that's entertainment' and 'if the boys wanna fight, you gotta let them'. The 70s and 80s were the heyday of football violence, and the organised hooligan squads (such as The Intercity Firm... ) seem to have disbanded. So I really don't think it's fair to blame 'the youth these days'.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 16:52:24 »

I think that the problem these days is that the youth have ready access to weapons and/or are more willing to use weapons. A fist fight CAN be fatal, but usually is not, a knife fight is often fatal.

Drugs gangs have ready access to firearms and regularly use them. As they say in Peckham "eats (peri peri chicken), shoots (a rival), and leaves.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 17:12:42 »

A small part of the youth these days regard a punch up as part of a night out, as do a small part of the not-youth. That has long been the case and in fact rates of violent crime not just in the UK (United Kingdom) but worldwide seem to be declining. One theory is that this is a positive result of the removal of lead from petrol. It was way back in the 70s when pop stars like Elton John, The Jam and Thin Lizzy sang lyrics such as 'Saturday night's alright for fighting', 'lights going out and a kick in the balls, that's entertainment' and 'if the boys wanna fight, you gotta let them'. The 70s and 80s were the heyday of football violence, and the organised hooligan squads (such as The Intercity Firm... ) seem to have disbanded. So I really don't think it's fair to blame 'the youth these days'.

It's actually not restricted to a night out, it goes on all day.

Knife crime is at a record high - sticking a blade in someone is not seen as a particularly big deal in some areas - pretty much the equivalent of a left hook.

As a pal of mine who recently retired from the Police commented to me "when we're called out to a fight and it's just two blokes in a pub car park going at it it's like a breath of fresh air"

...........tends to be encouraged by drill/gangsta rap "music" these days rather than the type of bands you mention, in the case of the Jam at least the lyrics were intended to be ironic.

Oh and the football hooligans are still there, just older and under the radar these days.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 17:28:42 »

I'd say there's a difference between gang wars and drunken punch ups on a night out. The former is targeted (though bystanders are often hit as well) and purposeful; a war rather than a fight. The Offensive Weapons Act is probably partly at gang wars but also at terrorism.

Oh and the football hooligans are still there, just older and under the radar these days.
Can't be! It's all the youth!

Just remembered a very old example of drunken violence. One the wall of what must have been a bar in Pompeii, there is a sort of cartoon, complete with speech bubbles, depicting the landlord throwing out two men (age unclear) fighting over a game of dice.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 17:36:49 »

The situation is not being helped by social media. Every time I look at Facebook my feed has clips from violant films. Most are modern day American cowboy films. The only difference is instead of horses they drive pickup trucks and Harley's. Of course these days the women join in the fight as well.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: