14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:34:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Evaluation of new Avocet & Tarka Line Timetables  (Read 15889 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 16:28:34 »

They were rough before he started messing with them Wink
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 16:36:37 »

They were rough before he started messing with them Wink
Wouldn't say he helped the problem though.  Cheesy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 22:09:33 »

Erm, thanks, lads!

Could you perhaps enlighten the rest of us, please, and explain what happened to this particular 'idiot' who apparently caused criminal damage to a train?

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 22:17:16 »

Nothing, got off at Exeter Central.
And as it was 4 car and in front unit it was more unlikely for the guard to see him.
He could have only been about 10 though.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 22:31:06 »

Still eligible for a clip round the ear, though?   Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 01:00:34 »

I wish!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 08:23:59 »

Co-incipiently the guard was in possession of a BR (British Rail(ways)) metal ticket gripper Wink
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 00:20:41 »

to be fair if they dont break down the 142's are quite fast my only issues with them are overcrowding and they need updating another problem is if you hook up 2 142's yes there is more seating capacity but it must be a nightmare for the guard swithing between the two units and they dont know whats going on in the other unit, also when like with a few unlucky passsengers the other day from exeter st davids to exmouth they anounce if you are alighting at st james park (a station which is actually in a great location and im suprised is doesnt see more use) please sit in the front two carrages its a bit too late when you have started moving.......

atleast the 150's and 153's are designed to be doubled up

im guessing that the coupling and the unique design of the pacer would make the addition of a centre carrage highly unlikly?.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 04:50:11 »

to be fair if they dont break down the 142's are quite fast my only issues with them are overcrowding and they need updating another problem is if you hook up 2 142's yes there is more seating capacity but it must be a nightmare for the guard swithing between the two units and they dont know whats going on in the other unit, also when like with a few unlucky passsengers the other day from exeter st davids to exmouth they anounce if you are alighting at st james park (a station which is actually in a great location and im suprised is doesnt see more use) please sit in the front two carrages its a bit too late when you have started moving.......

im guessing that the coupling and the unique design of the pacer would make the addition of a centre carrage highly unlikly?.
There are about 15 new guards newly started at Exeter resulting in a lot more 'spare' capacity, so you should see alot more of the multiple 142's double manned from now on.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 08:22:10 »

4 car 142s are a god send. Paignton's Sunday 1720 to Exmouth was pretty much full and standing by Torre, as a 4 car unit. If that had been a 150, it would have been a big squeeze! I cannot remember the last time I actually had to stand on a 142, whilst standing under the days of Wessex was a common occurrence! I'd love to see some passenger figures since the introduction of the pacers as it would appear that passenger numbers are comparatively higher than before. 

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 12:14:02 »

last week i made 6 journeys on the exeter-exmouth line stood up twice train was packed all but one of the times, dont get me wrong in a way i do see this as a good thing the railways being busy however i can see how it would be off putting to anyone trying the train for the first time especially with children
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 17:43:22 »

Slack is needed in Devon, 142s simply cannot keep to 150 timings unless driven aggressively.

Two points.

Firstly we do not drive "aggressively". Whilst I'm not suggesting that all drivers at Exeter are Mother Theresa, there is a strong ethic of professionalism. Adherance to professional driving standards is quite strictly monitored.

Secondly services which are diagrammed for 142 operation are timed appropriately.

We do our best with the equipment we are given.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 18:22:35 »

Didn't suggest they were, just saying that on the old timings (note the age of the post), extra slack was needed.

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 22:07:08 »

i have alot of respect for the drivers in devon never had so much as a sharp stop or too fast over points, i have applied for a job with fgw i hope i get it
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 22:55:08 »

Quote from: qwerty
Whilst I'm not suggesting that all drivers at Exeter are Mother Theresa, there is a strong ethic of professionalism. Adherance to professional driving standards is quite strictly monitored.

Apropos of nothing in particular, what is Todger up to these days? Is he still driving Nuclear Trains in Cumbria?  Shocked

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: