08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:29:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] A daily picture from my recent travels
[73] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[64] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[62] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[52] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail fare rises '21 - up by 2.6% but not until March  (Read 7951 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 18:17:46 »

In todays budget, the planned increase in road fuel duty was dropped, as has happened previously.

The government regularly speak of the need to green the economy, yet every year rail travel becomes more expensive, whilst road transport becomes cheaper.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 20:22:48 »

That’s now a decade that fuel duty has been held without rising!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 06:44:56 »

the planned increase in road fuel duty was dropped

In my simplistic view of things I would have thought now would have been a good time to increase road fuel duty, to nudge drivers towards the greener alternatives that are supposed to happen by the end of the decade. Or is that another agreement that will be dropped?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 06:46:25 »

That’s now a decade that fuel duty has been held without rising!

Average (petrol) cost 119p / litre
I've seen quote that duty + VAT (Value Added Tax) add up to 60% of (petrol) fuel costs.
Prices in general have gone up by 31% in the last 10 years
A typical car burns 7 litres per 100 km
The average car is driven 7400 miles per year. x 8 / 5 to get kms
There are 33 million cars on the road

>>> 119 * .6
>>> 72 * .31
>>> 22.32 * 7
>>> 74 * 8 / 5 *156.24
>>> 185 * 33000000
>>>

So (at current rates) just over 6 billion pounds per annum is reduced off what the income would have been from fuel duty and VAT compared to what it would have been if these taxes had been inflation linked.  Put another way, if you're an average petrol car driver, you're saving £185 pounds per year.

Figures are, or course, very roughly calculated indeed ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 10:36:53 »

Maybe, but fuel hasn't....

2011: petrol 133.65p, diesel 138.94p.

Actually dropped in price by nearly 10p/litre

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 10:55:27 »

Indeed - that's very much in confirmation of the analysis.  Fuel prices have been held down to some extent (the majority, as most of the price is tax) by tax policy and tax not rising in line with inflation.  We could have a real 'game' here playing with stats by the conclusions will almost inevitably be **1 that billions of pounds that the exchequer could be collecting from the motorist are not being collected, **2 that government policy has helped in no short measure in making driving private cars with fossil fuel engines more attractive in real terms compared to ten years ago, and **3 that the signal given by the freezing of duty is that government support for zero carbon is patchy at best.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 18:39:04 »

And of course quoted fuel prices are genuinely representative, being the average price actually paid at a number of filling stations.
Train fares are arguably less representative since they only include the regulated fares. Actual fares have increased by greater percentages in many cases.
Examples include  altering the boundary between peak and off peak fares such that more peak fares are paid.
And increasing unregulated first class fares by a lot more than the average.

There is also a general view that trains have in many cases got worse, with worse overcrowding, reduced reliability and inferior on board facilities.

Cars on the other hand have got cheaper and better specified, AS WELL as using cheaper fuel.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 19:28:20 »

I don’t disagree with some of Broadgage’s points, but it should also be said that Advance purchase tickets becoming much more widely available have reduced prices prices in real terms at certain times of the day, and on many routes a more frequent, and in some cases faster, service now operates of course.

On the roads, traffic has generally increased leading to longer and less predictable journeys in many cases, with improvements to the road network only partly compensating.  So, swings and roundabouts in some respects.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 21:04:29 »

Indeed - that's very much in confirmation of the analysis.  Fuel prices have been held down to some extent (the majority, as most of the price is tax) by tax policy and tax not rising in line with inflation.  We could have a real 'game' here playing with stats by the conclusions will almost inevitably be **1 that billions of pounds that the exchequer could be collecting from the motorist are not being collected, **2 that government policy has helped in no short measure in making driving private cars with fossil fuel engines more attractive in real terms compared to ten years ago, and **3 that the signal given by the freezing of duty is that government support for zero carbon is patchy at best.

Do you think that the fall in the price of oil may have something to do with cheaper petrol?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2021, 13:52:44 »

Yes of course falling oil prices are one reason for cheaper petrol, but that should be a reason to increase fuel duty, not to freeze it for years.

In my view road fuel should be increased in price by AT LEAST the same percentage as rail fares.
If we are serious about the climate emergency, then petrol/diesel should increase in price at a greater rate than train fares.

We cant end road transport overnight, but a start could be made by increasing fuel duty.

More expensive fuel also improves road safety, as drivers tend to slow down to save fuel.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2021, 22:39:51 »

Yes of course falling oil prices are one reason for cheaper petrol, but that should be a reason to increase fuel duty, not to freeze it for years.

In my view road fuel should be increased in price by AT LEAST the same percentage as rail fares.
If we are serious about the climate emergency, then petrol/diesel should increase in price at a greater rate than train fares.

We cant end road transport overnight, but a start could be made by increasing fuel duty.

More expensive fuel also improves road safety, as drivers tend to slow down to save fuel.

Fuel duty is hugely inflationary as most goods are transported through road haulage, so raising it would have a big impact on everyone including (disproportionately) the poorest.

Given where we are just now, not in your future fantasy world where road transport has been ended,do you really think that's such a good idea?

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2021, 00:43:39 »

The government needs to raise money to pay for public expenditure in general, and for the costs of the pandemic in particular.
I would consider fuel taxes to be preferable to alternatives such as an increase in the VAT (Value Added Tax) rate, or in income tax, or other general taxes.
Taxing road fuel would encourage alternatives such as walking, cycling, electric vehicles, buses and railways.

Present and recent past government policies are having the effect of deterring rail travel due to the ever rising cost, and encouraging road transport as it becomes cheaper. Should be the other way around in my view.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:27:58 by broadgage » Logged

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2021, 08:17:36 »

The government needs to raise money to pay for public expenditure in general, and for the costs of the pandemic in particular.
I would consider fuel taxes to be preferable to alternatives such as an increase in the VAT (Value Added Tax) rate, or in income tax, or other general taxes.
Taxing road fuel would encourage alternatives such as walking, cycling, electric vehicles, buses and railways.

Present and recent past government policies are having the effect of deterring rail travel due to the ever rising cost, and encouraging road transport as it becomes cheaper. Should be the other way around in my view.

As you seem to have shifted from the need to "green the economy" to a need to raise money to pay for "public expenditure in general", you may wish to consider that the most effective way to do that is via income tax, which is progressive and raises far, far more money very quickly and easily, without being inflationary or unfairly penalising the poor.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2021, 15:23:28 »

I have not shifted from a "need to green the economy" but mentioned the general need for HMG to raise revenue as an ADDITIONAL reason to tax road fuel, in addition to taxing a polluting transport choice.

New registrations of petrol or diesel burning cars are to be prohibited in not that many years time, so we should perhaps be discouraging use right now.
I would like to see a relatively modest annual increase in road fuel prices. Perhaps about 2% over the inflation rate. If oil prices fall, then increase the tax such that the retail price rises by about 2%. If oil prices increase moderatly, then impose a smaller tax rise such that the retail price still rises  by about 2%. If oil prices increase greatly, then freeze the tax.

Rail fares by contrast should not in my view increase by more than the inflation rate.
There is a general public perception that rail fares are hugely costly and also very complicated. The actual fare payable is often considered to be a matter of luck rather than being determined by a logical process.

I have previously proposed a great simplification of fares, with only three different fares payable for any particular journey.

I see no merit whatsoever in allowing discounted travel on services known to be overcrowded, simply becuase the ticket was purchased weeks in advance.
I likewise see no merit in charging a punitively high fare for last minute travel on a lightly used service.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 16:49:58 »

I have not shifted from a "need to green the economy" but mentioned the general need for HMG to raise revenue as an ADDITIONAL reason to tax road fuel, in addition to taxing a polluting transport choice.

New registrations of petrol or diesel burning cars are to be prohibited in not that many years time, so we should perhaps be discouraging use right now.
I would like to see a relatively modest annual increase in road fuel prices. Perhaps about 2% over the inflation rate. If oil prices fall, then increase the tax such that the retail price rises by about 2%. If oil prices increase moderatly, then impose a smaller tax rise such that the retail price still rises  by about 2%. If oil prices increase greatly, then freeze the tax.

Rail fares by contrast should not in my view increase by more than the inflation rate.
There is a general public perception that rail fares are hugely costly and also very complicated. The actual fare payable is often considered to be a matter of luck rather than being determined by a logical process.

I have previously proposed a great simplification of fares, with only three different fares payable for any particular journey.

I see no merit whatsoever in allowing discounted travel on services known to be overcrowded, simply becuase the ticket was purchased weeks in advance.
I likewise see no merit in charging a punitively high fare for last minute travel on a lightly used service.

Broadgage do you get the principle that if you discourage someone from buying something by making it more expensive to the point that they reduce or stop, your revenue falls?

Do you also understand that this is not just about cars?

It's about the haulage industry that transports virtually everything we need in this country, and that by increasing their costs you will create inflationary pressure that reduces the purchasing power of money for everyone, including Government but especially affecting the poor on lower and/or fixed incomes?

That was the point of my earlier post, which you have either ignored or perhaps not understood.

Do you understand that our fuel duty on diesel is already way higher than the European average? and that many EU» (European Union - about) countries even provide rebates to hauliers, which in turn means British hauliers are less competitive?

Do you also realise the effect this has on businesses, and that ultimately people will have less money to spend on (for example) rail journeys?

You seem to like to see things in very one dimensional, black and white terms, whether it's road or air travel (or buffets!) but unfortunately it just ain't that simple.

Perhaps read a bit of Adam Smith with your Port tonight...............and consider how, when you've ended road transport, as is your stated aim, will that bottle of Cockburns get to your local Aldi without it?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 16:58:43 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: