27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 04:31:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel advice - Christmas and tiers ... from 19.12.2020  (Read 5455 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2020, 23:56:30 »

Drove past Spencer's Sports and Social Club in Melksham today ... open and doing the first round of Covid vacinations. We may have infections climbing at the moment - and we need to take precautions to stop it climbing just as much as we can, but soon we're going to go over the crest and like a rollercoaster it may drop rapidly.

My best wishes to our MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site) elder statesman and his wife who had their injection today. And I look forward to seeing him - in real life - at the MRUG AGM (Annual General Meeting) on the approaches to next summer.  His words and wisdom, and those of our secretary and the rest of the team, will be so valuable as we open the shutters, brush off the cobwebs, and promote sustainable and enjoyable travel some time next year.

For the moment - message to all. Only travel if you need to. Keep it local. Wear your mask. Wash your paws. Socially distance.  You know it makes sense now that we have the flicker of the light at the end of the tunnel visible ahead.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 15:50:11 »

Looking to make sense of tiers from Saturday ... subject to correction and I will keep adding services.
However, it makes sense not to travel unless you have to.

4   Paddington
4    Reading
4   Didcot
3    Swindon
2   Chippenham
2 or 3   Bath Spa
3   Bristol

4   Paddington
4    Reading
4   Newbury
4   Hungerford
4   Kintbury
2   Bedwyn
2   Pewsey
2   Westbury
3   Frome
3   Bruton
3   Castle Cary
3   Taunton
2   Tiverton Parkway and beyond

4   Portsmouth
4    Southampton
4   Romsey
2   Salisbury
2    Warminster
2   Westbury
2   Trowbridge
2   Bradford-on-Avon
2 or 3   Bath
2 or 3   Keynsham
3   Bristol Temple Meads
3   Filton Abbey Wood
Wales   Welsh Rules

I am unclear on Bath - is it in with Somerset in 3, or remaining in 2??  Will come back to edit. Edit - almost certainly tier 2 for Bath and North East Somerset. That's a significant worry with regard to people travelling in from Somerset and South Gloucestershire catchments.

The Coffee Shop is virtual and we can mix online here.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 16:38:23 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 16:13:33 »

Official postcode check to find which tier you are in
https://www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-local-restrictions
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 16:24:01 »

Thanks ... utter confusion for Bath.  Official (I think) map showing 3, Postcode checker showing 2 ....  Taking a Swindon Postcode as a comparator, the checker correctly says 2 moving to 3, and map shows 3.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 16:40:49 »

Thanks ... utter confusion for Bath.  Official (I think) map showing 3, Postcode checker showing 2 ....  Taking a Swindon Postcode as a comparator, the checker correctly says 2 moving to 3, and map shows 3.

Hancock stated that Bristol and Somerset were in tier 3 and never mentioned N Somerset or BANES.  The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) now states ...Somerset (including N Somerset) is in tier 3 and is silent on BANES.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 16:54:50 »

He did mention North Somerset.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 16:56:21 »

Hancock stated that Bristol and Somerset were in tier 3 and never mentioned N Somerset or BANES.  The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) now states ...Somerset (including N Somerset) is in tier 3 and is silent on BANES.

Evidence is suggesting tier 2 for BaNES more and more to me ... updated map:

I will add it as the backdrop to maps once I'm sure.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 17:00:01 »

And North Somerset show as tier 3 on the map ... but North Somerset is not Bath and North EAST Somerset!

The people of Frome (Somerset) are revolting - picked up from social media:
This is ridiculous for people like myself who live in Frome. We are about 2 miles from the Wiltshire boarder. 9 miles from the bath and north east Somerset border.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 18:19:03 »

Evidence is suggesting tier 2 for BaNES more and more to me ...

And North Somerset show as tier 3 on the map ... but North Somerset is not Bath and North EAST Somerset!

If you put a BaNES postcode into the gov.uk site for 'What tier am I in, it shows as Tier 2 and not changing. If you put a (say) Clevedon or Templecombe postcode into the same page, it tells you that the tier is changing soon. So, you can safely assume that BaNES will remain as Tier 2
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 18:27:46 by PhilWakely » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 18:31:04 »

Why would anyone put a Templecombe postcode in?   Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 19:09:08 »

Why would anyone put a Templecombe postcode in?   Grin

Like those in Frome, I'm also somewhat inconvenienced by having close neighbouring counties in different tiers. Templecombe is just 2.5 miles from the Dorset border, and 8 miles from the Wiltshire border.

I use Stalbridge in Dorset a lot for shopping. There's an excellent independent supermarket there (Dike & Sons) full of local produce. Stalbridge also has a proper butcher. Decent Chinese and pizza/kebab takeaways. Also has my nearest petrol station.

Then there's Sherborne, with the only Sainsburys/Argos in the immediate area. Sherborne also has some scenic dog walking areas - the two castles and their grounds, and the meadow near the station. Not forgetting all its great independent retailers.

I can no longer visit those neighbouring Dorset towns. Although to get to Yeovil, whether by road or rail, means going through Sherborne, Dorset. Guess if I'm in the car I'll have to keep the windows wound up!

Then there's Wiltshire, just up the A357/A303 from Templecombe. I had booked a timed entry to Stourhead for a Boxing Day dog walk around the lake and gardens. Thankfully no charge as I'm an NT member. I can no longer make that visit thanks to the Moonrakers staying in Tier 2. Wurzels like me are no longer welcome!

Another interesting anomaly is I could theoretically drive across Dorset for a nice dog walk in the New Forest, which, like Somerset, is in Tier 3. Yet someone who lives in Dorset or Hampshire, outside the New Forest, cannot visit because they are in different tiers, Dorset 2, most of Hampshire 4.

The perils of living in border country.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 19:27:40 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 19:19:14 »

Bit like that in Swindon - Tier 4 to the right and Tier 2 to the left.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 19:25:43 »

Tier 4 to the right and Tier 2 to the left.

Isn't that a lyric from 'Stuck in the Middle with You' by Stealers Wheel?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 19:27:30 »

Bit like that in Swindon - Tier 4 to the right and Tier 2 to the left.

Wessex seems to be dappled, brindle or striped depending if you're using horses, greyhounds or zebras as your comparator.   I am trying to make sense of the crossborder rules - hopefully before the borders change again in another week.

Edit - correcting quoting
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 20:36:39 by grahame » Logged

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 19:30:27 »

If you put a BaNES postcode into the gov.uk site for 'What tier am I in, it shows as Tier 2 and not changing. If you put a (say) Clevedon or Templecombe postcode into the same page, it tells you that the tier is changing soon. So, you can safely assume that BaNES will remain as Tier 2

That should have read ....."will remain as Tier 2 until Boris and Matt finally agree to lock down the whole country early in the New Year"   Sad
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: