08:36 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 08:52:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Combo quiz - one of each type - 22nd Dec 2020  (Read 4007 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 06:59:07 »

1 is Southminster, Essex.  After some thought and detective work, helped by remembering my involvement professionally with one of the housing sites you can see!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 07:32:57 »

1 is Southminster, Essex.  After some thought and detective work, helped by remembering my involvement professionally with one of the housing sites you can see!

Correct - quite a small town for a good service - unusually, runs every 40 minutes (I know of only one other line with a similar frequency).  I suspect the service is justified to this level as a dormitory town, and because of other towns and villages along the branch.

Open season - please post any remaining answers that you know ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 08:06:02 »

12 Portsmouth and Southsea

15/12/71 A Hymek hauled Cardiff Portsmouth Harbour train ran into the back of a Victoria Portsmouth Harbour EMU (Electric Multiple Unit). Hymeks where not fitted with BR (British Rail(ways)) AWS (Automatic Warning System) and this was criticised by the Inspector. Thet where replaced by Class 31s on this route shortly after this.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 08:18:45 »

9. That's Claridge's London Hotel ... Taunton! Claridge had the hotel from 1900-1913, so it seems odd he was still using an advert referring to "new proprietorship" in 1911. Also, he was keen on motoring, as the picture shows - so it's a bit hard to see why it offers "stabling" but not car garaging. Did it come from a railway timetable, perhaps?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 08:23:42 »

5. Coffee shop passenger forum *

* Other word orders are just about possible
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 08:35:08 »

9. That's Claridge's London Hotel ... Taunton! Claridge had the hotel from 1900-1913, so it seems odd he was still using an advert referring to "new proprietorship" in 1911. Also, he was keen on motoring, as the picture shows - so it's a bit hard to see why it offers "stabling" but not car garaging. Did it come from a railway timetable, perhaps?

Yes, and yes ... from Bradshaw, 1911

12 Portsmouth and Southsea

15/12/71 A Hymek hauled Cardiff Portsmouth Harbour train ran into the back of a Victoria Portsmouth Harbour EMU (Electric Multiple Unit). Hymeks where not fitted with BR (British Rail(ways)) AWS (Automatic Warning System) and this was criticised by the Inspector. Thet where replaced by Class 31s on this route shortly after this.

Correct in place and source of data too.

5. Coffee shop passenger forum *

* Other word orders are just about possible

Yep ... I wonder how many people were looking for physical places  Cheesy

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 08:58:33 »

Do you think the disassembled multitude are suffering from a bit of quiz fatigue? After all, from a picture a day last year, it's roughly a dozenfold jump in the QQ (question quantity) for this.

But another "easy" one is 13: Cruachan. Well, it's that wee loch with a dam across it, and then there's the airstrip just to the south ... hang on, that's in Loch Awe (or maybe the river)! So it's other of those water features, such as a pontoon for a fish farm.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 09:27:33 »

Do you think the disassembled multitude are suffering from a bit of quiz fatigue? After all, from a picture a day last year, it's roughly a dozenfold jump in the QQ (question quantity) for this.

But another "easy" one is 13: Cruachan. Well, it's that wee loch with a dam across it, and then there's the airstrip just to the south ... hang on, that's in Loch Awe (or maybe the river)! So it's other of those water features, such as a pontoon for a fish farm.

"Falls of Cruachan" rather than "Cruachan", but, yes, it is.   The loch in the hill is part of the pumped water / stored power system which is used to generate power (and quickly) at times of peak need and then in essence turned into reverse when there's excess power on the grid to pump water back up again.   I'm not sure how much the level in the lower loch - Loch Awe - rises and falls during this operation, but I suspect the upper lochan sees dramatic changes.  There are one or two similar schemes in North Wales (Tan-y-grisiau and Dinorwic) and one due to open on 1st April next on Shippea Hill.

Quiz fatigue?   Maybe - massive subject I've been looking at (goes wider too); there has been a degree of syncronisation from day to day, but this particular quiz (22nd) that we're writing in was a last-minute stand-in - the "hot spare".     I have been looking at visitor numbers, poster numbers, numbers of different people answering the quizzes, looking at those that I would have expected to be easy and hard before they went live, etc.; more to follow as the remaining quiz data responses come in.   And I will look at that in a separate thread, and in the wider context of what's going in across the world, in the UK (United Kingdom), on GWR (Great Western Railway) transport, and in many of our personal lives which has all been so different in 2020 that it's not realistic to use 2019 as a comparative / control in isloation.

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 09:34:14 »

3 is, I believe, Melksham
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 11:04:04 »

8: I believe is Pwllheli with a direct (ex LNWR (London North Western Railway)) service from Euston via Bangor, and Afon Wen (now closed). Pothmadoc was similarly served using running rights secured over the old Cambrian Railways by the LNWR. Date 1964?
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 11:35:23 »

4 Alston Branch?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 11:57:49 »

8: I believe is Pwllheli with a direct (ex LNWR (London North Western Railway)) service from Euston via Bangor, and Afon Wen (now closed). Pothmadoc was similarly served using running rights secured over the old Cambrian Railways by the LNWR. Date 1964?

You are so close - just a shilling from the bullseye!

4 Alston Branch?

It isn't, Tony ... it's something (even) more unconventional

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 18:39:40 »

You are so close - just a shilling from the bullseye!

Then I shall revise it for Penychain - the Butlin's holiday camp east of Pwllheli
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 18:51:29 »

Oh, and as 15 is a binary question, I am going for 'something else'. Smiley

Commodore pet 64 (1978) taught me everything ...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 19:04:59 »

Oh, and as 15 is a binary question, I am going for 'something else'. Smiley

Commodore pet 64 (1978) taught me everything ...

Fond memories.  Was the spark on which I founded my business.  Wrote a program in Locomotive Basic to work out football league tables and other stats.  Remember what a revelation it was when a chip came out which speeded up how quickly it stored data to the cassette tapes.   I sometimes wish I had moved on to other programming languages but could never find the time.   Fast forward a few years and Graham could have taught me - in the same way he got me up to speed on website design.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: