Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:22:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton  (Read 87256 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2021, 11:58:31 »

There's an article in the "Home" section of today's Sunday Times about the line's re-opening "making this corner of the southwest of England a more practical proposition for buyers hunting for a dreamy combination of spectacular scenery and accessibility".

It includes details of properties for sale costing between £700k and £2.95m.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2021, 09:55:14 »

Not sure where the staff for the trains will live. All to familiar problem in the South and South West where people to provide local services, of any kind, are priced out of the market.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2021, 10:33:24 »

Not sure where the staff for the trains will live. All to familiar problem in the South and South West where people to provide local services, of any kind, are priced out of the market.

Indeed - I am fortunate where I am in Brittany that I live in a nice house, in the centre of a nice rural town, that is in the middle of some wonderful countryside, and not a million miles away from some world-beating coast, with public transport connections available to get me most places where I need to go relatively straightforwardly.

I suspect that I would be unable to afford to buy what I have here if I tried to purchase in an equivalent area of the UK (United Kingdom).

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2021, 08:03:39 »

Article in the Cornwall Railways site, news section today, with description of work being carried out

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2021, 17:24:15 »

Another update from Network Rail Western via Twitter

We are really pleased to announce that Wales and Western have set a new record for our region and installed around 11 miles of new track in just under 4 weeks on the Dartmoor Line as part of the Governments restoring your Railway initiative

https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1392501759403253761?s=21
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2021, 19:48:13 »

And how long has it taken to even think about relaying 3.5 miles of track on the Portishead line  ?
At least 1040 weeks by my reckoning !
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2021, 20:02:09 »

And how long has it taken to even think about relaying 3.5 miles of track on the Portishead line  ?
At least 1040 weeks by my reckoning !

In fairness, Okehampton was a long time in the planning. Once Portishead gets the nod, it won't take long. It does not have the advantage Okehampton had in being able to deliver rail and sleepers by rail, though. I don't think the existing track would be risked.

Now, please!
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2021, 07:35:04 »

There was a few second on Spotlight yesterday to say the track relaying had been completed.

This line must open before December. After all passenger trains, if not for covid, would have run last summer on Sundays even if at a lower speed.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2021, 08:12:34 »

Further pictures on the Cornwall Railway Society website this morning.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2021, 16:10:31 »

There was a few second on Spotlight yesterday to say the track relaying had been completed.

This line must open before December. After all passenger trains, if not for covid, would have run last summer on Sundays even if at a lower speed.

There is apparently a lot more work to be done. As for last summer, you are assuming that the track would have been passed fit for passenger traffic again. Some of those sleeps looked decidedly dodgy.

Now, please!
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2021, 17:12:32 »

True but would it have deteriorated that much in a year when you consider the weight of the freight trains carrying the sleepers compared to a 150. I think reported here or elsewhere a proving train went to Okehampton before all the freight. A derailed freight could have been a disaster. Maybe a proving train went first every summer Sunday before to check the track as a passenger crash would have been a bigger disaster.

As for the signalling improvements that's really down to manpower thrown at it.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2021, 16:22:37 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local news for south west england showing pictures of the ballast and track being laid at Okehampton.

BBC local news is available for 24 hours only on the i-player thingy
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2021, 21:30:08 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local news for south west england showing pictures of the ballast and track being laid at Okehampton.

Just watched it - thanks! It's at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000w8dx/spotlight-evening-news-15052021

and is available until 1615 on 15 May 2021.

Now, please!
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2021, 21:57:12 »

Just watched it - thanks! It's at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000w8dx/spotlight-evening-news-15052021

and is available until 1615 on 15 May 2021.
Till 16th May.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2021, 13:51:53 »

Till 16th May.

Darn - have I lost another day? Smiley

I love the shots of this huge machine, which with sleeper trucks must be a few hundred metres long and north of a thousand tonnes heavy, all being directed by a man walking backwards using a pad with with a couple of buttons.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: