Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:51:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton  (Read 87295 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2021, 12:20:28 »

Btw, isn't it time to add Okehampton to the list of services in the title 'Shorter Journeys in Devon' along with Barnstaple, Exmouth etc? :-)

Your wish is my command...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2021, 21:48:50 »

Btw, isn't it time to add Okehampton to the list of services in the title 'Shorter Journeys in Devon' along with Barnstaple, Exmouth etc? :-)

Your wish is my command...

Hope it felt as good to add it as it does to see it there!!
:-)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2021, 22:38:59 »

Glad to see the usual mess applies to the fares to Okehampton.

I looked up fares from Pershore on brfares.com and found that there is a via Worcester fare. Off peak return £44.90 with Senior railcard. Its not clear if this means Via Worcestershire parkway as well.

However even when the National rail enquiries journey planner gives me a journey via Worcester Shrub hill the fare given is the not London fare. £64.60.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 22:55:16 by TonyN » Logged
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2021, 23:20:34 »

Train every hour Saturday. Wonder what stock and if short forms occur elsewhere. Soon find out.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2021, 06:07:57 »

Train every hour Saturday. Wonder what stock and if short forms occur elsewhere. Soon find out.

I have seen pictures of a 150 being specially spruced up ... and understand it's one of two getting that treatment.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2021, 06:44:20 »

I have seen pictures of a 150 being specially spruced up ... and understand it's one of two getting that treatment.

150233  looked like it went through the train wash Wednesday and had a sign stuck on the front of which Grant Shapps took a replica back to London. Need more than one unit today. There are fou turbos down here, Two have already started the Paignton- Exmouth run on the first two trains. Thursday and Friday the other two were operating Barnstaple - Exeter and one of the 158s did the Paignton Exmouth.

added at 0650 150233/221 has taken the first train to Okehampton this morning.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2021, 10:51:17 »

It looks to have all gone to plan this morning, so far.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2021, 11:07:36 »

Even managing to sensibly plan in a visit from the Rail Head Treatment Train first thing.

Brilliant news to see it up and running.  I'll be visiting as soon as I get chance.  Let's hope for two things: 1) The service is reliable.  Few crew shortages or capacity/infrastructure problems.  2) The service is well used.  Nothing will send a clearer message of positivity towards others with reopening ambitions.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2021, 11:48:19 »

Even managing to sensibly plan in a visit from the Rail Head Treatment Train first thing.

Brilliant news to see it up and running.  I'll be visiting as soon as I get chance.  Let's hope for two things: 1) The service is reliable.  Few crew shortages or capacity/infrastructure problems.  2) The service is well used.  Nothing will send a clearer message of positivity towards others with reopening ambitions.

The real test will be in a couple of months. The opening popularity, followed by potential Christmas shoppers will have worn off and the tourist season will not have started.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2021, 23:43:40 »

Glad to see the usual mess applies to the fares to Okehampton.

I looked up fares from Pershore on brfares.com and found that there is a via Worcester fare. Off peak return £44.90 with Senior railcard. Its not clear if this means Via Worcestershire parkway as well.

However even when the National rail enquiries journey planner gives me a journey via Worcester Shrub hill the fare given is the not London fare. £64.60.

"Via Worcester" will be via the Worcester group: both town stations (plus Droitwich Spa in theory; I don't think you can use it in practice). WOP has not been added to the group, which is one of the routeing points for WOP, the others being Cheltenham Spa, Oxford, and Bromsgrove.

The issue is why that via Worcester fare is not found, even for a journey via Worcester. At first sight it looks as if it might a lack of adjustments to allow for OKE, or WOP, or both, as new stations. But the failure to route with a change at WOP is more likely to be just a matter of connection times, and  the same missing fare happens if you are only going to Exeter. From Worcester, you do get offered the change at WOP, as well as going to Cheltenham to change (onto the same train). That looks odd, but is simply due to the nearly 1 hour wait from the former being enough to offset the extra change. I suspect that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have not defined that fare correctly in some way.

Leaving aside the overall level of fares set by XC, there are other oddities that suggest they don't look very closely at what they are doing. One I spotted is for Worcester-Exeter, where XC set the only two fares. One is routed "via Bristol", and an anytime single is £120.10 - high even by XC's standards. The other is routed "not via Birmingham", and that SOS is £64.80, and that is the only fare found by the OJP (Online Journey Planner). Is there any practical route avoiding Bristol for the other fare to apply to? Common sense says no, and the Routeing guide (for once) agrees. Mind you for Cheltenham-Bristol GWR (Great Western Railway) set the only fare, and it's very much cheaper, so splitting undercuts both of these.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 23:37:10 by stuving » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2021, 09:16:35 »

From Hitchens Blog in the Mail on Sunday

Putting right a terrible wrong

I see the Transport Minister and e-scooter fan Grant Shapps has been dressing up as a character from Thomas The Tank Engine, waving a green flag and blowing a whistle.

He was reopening a railway line in Devon, a line running across the top of Dartmoor, where a kindly driver once let me, aged 12, have a go at the controls of his train.

This tiny restoration of a small part of a lost line fills me with rage. It should never have been closed. It is not nearly enough. It was so beautiful I still sometimes dream of travelling on it again, 50 years after it was ripped up. It was a full-sized express main line between London and Plymouth, still badly needed every summer and every time the other route, along the sea, is washed away by storms at Dawlish.

The reinstatement of such lines, and there are so many of them, would do far more good to far more people than silly high-speed vanity projects such as HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). We have let the car and the lorry rule this country far too long, spreading noise, ugliness and filth over town and country alike. The closure of railways in the 1960s was a terrible mistake and there has never been a better time to put it right.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2021, 20:18:17 »

I had a look at the ticket machine at Pershore today and the via Worcester fares are available.

I note that the Journey planner gives a weekday journey leaving Pershore at 07:58 via Worcester foregate street. (Always prefered by journey planners because Platform interchange by lift is available even though in this case both trains are likley to use the same platform at both Shrub Hill and foregate street). The fare given is the not London super off peak £64.60 price It is very unlikley that the machine will sell this ticket before 08:20 on a weekday.

I have been caught by this snag before with off peak tickets on the 07:58. There are a number of journeys that can be made by taking this train to Parkway or Worcester stations, that have valid off peak tickets. However GWR (Great Western Railway) insist you need an anytime ticket to get to Worcester on this train
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 20:26:15 by TonyN » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2021, 11:42:36 »

On the travel to work timed train from Okehampton this morning, seven passengers.

https://twitter.com/BusAndTrainUser/status/1462682492058710017
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2021, 17:43:21 »

On the travel to work timed train from Okehampton this morning, seven passengers.

https://twitter.com/BusAndTrainUser/status/1462682492058710017

Obviously a lot of people working from home in that area!

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2021, 09:50:35 »

Here's today's 09 24 ex Okehampton. 

https://twitter.com/DCRailPart/status/1463078465364713474
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: