21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:49:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Big news in our town - what about yours - this Christmas  (Read 4286 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 26, 2020, 13:03:48 »

"Melksham - can you spell that?" ... A question I have been asked so many times over the years. Put in another way - put up the outline of the UK (United Kingdom) and ask contestants on Five Gold Rings or House of Games to locate Melksham and you'll get a pretty wide spray. Rarely makes the National News, but in these few days around Christmas when news is light, we've made it twice.

From the Swindon Advertiser

CHRISTMAS arrived early for a Quavers superfan from Wiltshire.

After declaring her love for the light and floaty snack via Twitter, Adele Keeble defeated more than 500 hopeful Quavers fans for the Walkers title and won a lifetime supply.

She was also given the chance to become the first person in the world to try the retro prawn cocktail and salt and vinegar Quavers before their hotly-anticipated return in January following nearly a decade off shelves.

The 52-year-old mum of one, from Melksham, who works as a software asset manager, has also been rewarded with a lifetime supply of the floaty light snacks.

And from The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

A partially-sighted woman, who has not put up festive lights outside her home, has been sent an anonymous Christmas card calling her "lazy" and a "Grinch".

Carrie Fielding from Melksham, Wiltshire, was sent the card, including a message saying all other neighbours in the cul-de-sac had "made an effort".

Ms Fielding said she "loves Christmas" but health issues had prevented her from putting up lights this year.

She responded by saying the "offensive" card had "failed to upset" her.

Ms Fielding, 56, said it was "a bit of a shock" when she received it.

[snip]

"If you had taken a little time to observe my household, you would see that I rely on a guide dog for my mobility.

"This might have given you a clue that I would find it hard to decorate the outside of my house," she added.

Ms Fielding said had since received an "outpouring of love and support" from her "true" neighbours, and had offers of help.

She said she had declined the offers, and instead accepted a donation to Bowerhill Barkers which raises money to provide guide dogs.

This one's really local to us. Another source indicates which online company printed the card to a customer's request and says that they have declined to tell their reporter who that customer was.  Lisa and I have had great fun speculating, knowing quite a number of people who live in Bader Park.  Actually, we have a pretty good idea based on cicumstantial evidence.

In this quiet news time over Christmas, what is the "Big" news in your town?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 13:17:17 »

Strangely enough I was flicking around the TV channels this morning and stumbled across a repeat of Antiques Road Trip. Part of it was filmed in Melksham. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 13:24:30 »

Strangely enough I was flicking around the TV channels this morning and stumbled across a repeat of Antiques Road Trip. Part of it was filmed in Melksham. 

If that was Michael Aspel, it was our front garden for the intro.   A story behind that because they didn't our permission and the first we knew was seeing the film crew in the garden!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 13:58:21 »

If you have to spell out Melksham, you could always emulate the late great Horace Batchelor by saying 'it's like Keynsham K_E_Y_N_S_H_A_M only you replace KEYN with MELK ! Roll Eyes
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 14:07:11 »

Here in West Berkshire it's Newbury's porridge mountain. It was caused by a Newbury Weekly News asking PepsiCo to donate some food for those in need this Christmas. Quaker Oats porridge was what they decided to provide, but an order for 1900 boxes became 19,000, when someone interpreted that as 1,900 boxes of 10 packets each! Good homes have been found at foodbanks, school and care homes.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 15:00:36 »

What does a porridge mountain become when it is made? You can't have a gravy mountain.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 15:25:24 »

What does a porridge mountain become when it is made? You can't have a gravy mountain.

That depends on how you make you porridge - or gravy, come to that. Just ask Tony Hancock!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 15:33:12 by stuving » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 15:36:09 »

Translated article from Le Telegramme:

Quote from: Le Telegramme
At Callac station, terminus for the station master and two drivers

Bernard Le Jeune, station master at Callac, hung up his whistle. Two conductors, Jean-Yves Le Magoariec and Titi Le Cam; also celebrated their retirement on Friday.

Friday, it was the last whistle and lifting of the starting handlebars for Bernard Le Jeune, station master in Callac, and for two of his fellow TER drivers: Denis Le Cam, alias ?Titi?, and Jean-Yves Le Magoariec, in the presence of Yann Le Chaix, head of department.

Bernard Le Jeune , 60 years old since December 5, is a local figure in Callac, both professionally, and at cycling and association levels, notably with his involvement in the PLB muco. He returned on January 4, 1982 to the Breton network, in Paimpol. He stayed there for a year before being transferred to Callac on January 1, 1983. Thirty-eight years spent serving users or customers, with one concern in mind: to offer them a quality service and to keep the station running. the best.

?Serious, always ready to provide information, to find the best match, all with a smile,? they say of someone with the rail network in their blood. His grandfather knew the steam locomotive and his father Yves was station master at Callac, replacing Fran?ois Harnay, former deputy mayor of Callac and father of a named Carole, who was to become Bernard's wife. and, later, the first woman mayor of Callac.

Jean-Yves Le Magoariec, from Callac, was hired in 1983 and in 1984 became a freight train, railcar and TER driver. He will also be a trainer for young recruits. He drove his last train on April 1.

Denis Le Cam was also a driver. Returned in September 1985, he spent 35 years driving the various machines entrusted to him during his career, without any accident. ?During my career, I was able to appreciate the contact with the customers, with the young people who came to see how the machine worked and I was able to observe nature and the magnificent landscapes which changed colors with each season, from Carhaix in Paimpol ?.

Trainees have been recruited, and I had the pleasure of observing them in action over the last week, hopefully securing the continued staffing of Callac station for the foreseeable future.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 17:45:02 »

Big hole in Bristol
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-55453260

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 18:06:46 »

Big hole in Bristol

I see The Council are looking into it  Grin

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 18:09:46 »

If that was Michael Aspel, it was our front garden for the intro.   A story behind that because they didn't our permission and the first we knew was seeing the film crew in the garden!

I think you are referring to Antiques Roadshow rather than Road Trip.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: