I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:32:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which on-train catering offerings would you most likely patronise?  (Voting closed: December 31, 2020, 01:46:07)
07:04 - The Continental Buffet by Pret a Manger - 3 (2.4%)
08:04 - Pullman Breakfast - 21 (16.5%)
09:04 - The Coffee Shop, run by our team - 14 (11%)
10:04 - McDonald's late breakfast wagon - 7 (5.5%)
11:04 - Wetherspoon's - 10 (7.9%)
12:04 - Toby Grill - 9 (7.1%)
13:04 - Taco Bell and KFC Combo - 3 (2.4%)
14:04 - Polly's Tea Room - 6 (4.7%)
15:04 - Afternoon tea from The Savoy - 3 (2.4%)
16:04 - The Ivy - 5 (3.9%)
17:04 - Burger King - 9 (7.1%)
18:04 - Oriental Buffet - 10 (7.9%)
19:04 - the "Rosy Spectacles" - menu to celebrate the BR (British Rail(ways)) Sandwich - 4 (3.1%)
20:04 - The Ritz Club - 1 (0.8%)
21:04 - "The Office" Tavern Car - 12 (9.4%)
22:04 - The "Pig and Whistle" - 10 (7.9%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: On train catering - light hearted options to the West Country  (Read 5243 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:46:07 »

Imagine the ultimate privatisation of catering on trains - with a different product offered on each of the West Country expresses out of Paddington for the summer of 2022. Each of these trains calls at Reading, Taunton, Tiverton Parkway, and Exeter (where it overtakes the semifast from Paddington each hour, which carries on to Paignton), Newton Abbott, Totnes, Ivybridge and Plymouth, many running on into Cornwall.    There is time to eat between London and Taunton which will make the service attractive to members who use that as their railhead.

Select up to the eight catering products you would like the most to try.

Menu suggestions welcome.  Waistlines not guaranteed to be unaltered if you try out lots of these.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:11:15 »

Lisa has just suggested that we provide catering on the semi-fasts too ..

06:24 - Kick Start from Starbucks
07:24 - Costa Coffee
08:24 - International House of Pancakes
09:24 - Irish Breakfast
10:24 - Late Irish Breakfast
11:24 - Crackerbarrel
12:24 - Harry Ramsden's
13:24 - Domino's
14:24 - Mr Kipling meets Ben and Jerry
15:24 - Cheese and Wine party by "Cheddar Gorge"
16:24 - Bloomin Onion from Outback Steakhouse
17:24 - Hooter's Happy Hour - all you can eat wings
18:24 - Red Lobster
19:24 - Before eight and other sweet novelties
20:24 - Gin tasting sponsored by Gordon's
21:24 - La Creperie Flambe - make you own

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:02 »

May I suggest member broadgage takes charge of OUR catering section.
Guaranteed to be a great success, which in turn would remove all the other caterers.

Vote broadgage NOW  Wink

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:49:05 »

Sorry if it sounds like a comment on a local election, but
None of the above
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:59:25 »

I think the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) might object to their members wearing low cut tops or bikinis to deliver food to your seat.  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 10:20:19 »

I think the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) might object to their members wearing low cut tops or bikinis to deliver food to your seat.  Grin

Ah ... I love the wings in Hooters.  And so does Lisa - it was her idea to have them take one of the catering slots.  They opened a restaurant in Birmingham many many years ago - one of a few in the UK (United Kingdom) and short lived - and Lisa and I happened to be there just as it opened.  She found herself interviewed on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Midlands Today (I think it was) as the only woman customer in the place ... as it happens, a favourite from the USA where we ate there frequently in Naples.

The view suggested for the RMT takes a steroetype - quite a common one, I will admit, but there is that other view. You'll see the stereotype in early scenes in "Blended" and come to learn later in the film why all may not be as you had assumed.

I'm so glad that Hooters are pencilled in for the semi-fast not the express.  Gives me a chance (at least in my dreams) to sample their wings on my way home to Wiltshire rather than whistling through on some darned none-stop train.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 11:31:46 »

Ah ... I love the wings in Hooters. 

Tut, tut - I thought Dennys would be more your style !!  Cheesy Cheesy
Andy E

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 17:11:30 »

Well, as we are considering trains to the Westcountry, surely we should be considering a purveyor of Pasties.😀
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 17:52:37 »

Well, as we are considering trains to the Westcountry, surely we should be considering a purveyor of Pasties.😀

...to say nothing of cream teas ("both ways") or cider!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 17:58:25 »

...to say nothing of cream teas ("both ways") or cider!

All prepared scones that have not yet been eaten must be turned over as the train crosses the Royal Albert Bridge.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 18:15:24 »

What about scones that are half eaten as the train crosses the bridge ? Sounds messy to turn over a half eaten one.

Clotted cream or jam on first, depends IMHO (in my humble opinion) on the relative textures of the two products, not on the location. Put the firmest on first. Trying to apply very solid clotted cream over runny jam is futile, as is solid jam over runny cream.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 20:37:30 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 23:11:22 »

Wot, no morning offer (before 11:00) of Gregg's bacon roll + coffee?
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 06:40:14 »

Trying to apply very solid clotted cream over runny jam is futile, as is solid jam over runny cream.
I withdraws my vote for member broadgage! (Been watching Worzel Gummidge, apologies)
Local Cornish produce would produce nothing runny; it would always be firm.
Jam first.  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:47:26 by GBM » Logged

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 08:28:14 »

May I suggest member broadgage takes charge of OUR catering section.
Guaranteed to be a great success, which in turn would remove all the other caterers.

Vote broadgage NOW  Wink

Beat me to it - but I think people may quickly tire of a menu consisting of Fillet steak and Port?

Wink
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 09:45:32 »

Beat me to it - but I think people may quickly tire of a menu consisting of Fillet steak and Port?

Wink

Perhaps a free Port with every steak!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: