Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:41:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 - TransWilts cancellation and amendment log  (Read 59925 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2021, 15:41:48 »

No problem there. Just catch the Cardiff - Birmingham service at Gloucester

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2021, 15:43:06 »

16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08
16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08 will be cancelled.
This is due to a member of on-train staff being taken ill.
Additional Information
Customers at Westbury and Trowbridge travelling to Chippenham or Swindon should travel on the 16:40 Gloucester service (16:46 from Trowbridge) and change at Bath Spa for the 17:45 service to London Paddington which calls at Chippenham (17:56) and Swindon at 18:10.

Road transport has been requested to run in place of this train service from Westbury to Chippenham, calling at Trowbridge and Melksham. Details will be provided here once confirmed.

17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:17
17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:17 will be cancelled.
This is due to a member of on-train staff being taken ill.
Additional Information
Customers at Swindon and Chippenham travelling to Trowbridge or Westbury should travel on the 17:33 Taunton service from Swindon (17:45 from Chippenham) and change at Bath Spa for the 18:03 service towards Weymouth which calls at Trowbridge (18:25) and Westbury (18:32). Tickets routed via Melksham will be accepted via Bath Spa.

Customers travelling to Melksham should change at Chippenham.

Road transport has been requested to run from Chippenham to Westbury calling at Melksham and Trowbridge. Details will be provided here once confirmed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2021, 16:10:58 »

Road transport has been requested to run from Chippenham to Westbury calling at Melksham and Trowbridge. Details will be provided here once confirmed.

Thanks, Bob ... updated a few minutes ago:

A Chandlers Coach Travel coach has been arranged to run from Chippenham to Westbury calling at Melksham and Trowbridge.

I'm actually headed home and was booked onto that train ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2021, 17:48:45 »

A Chandlers Coach Travel coach has been arranged to run from Chippenham to Westbury calling at Melksham and Trowbridge.

I was on the reverse of that - scheduled 16:25 service Chandlers coach from Westbury through to Swindon. Interesting chat with the coach driver. Coach just back from its only trip of the last 16 months - all the way to Spain for a compulsory wheelchair lift to be fitted, cost the company £30k per coach. All of its drivers furloughed, no other income. He had no idea how Chandlers are still going - they have no school contracts either. Our driver was cutting his hedge in Chapmanslade when he got the call at 3:45 to go to Westbury. Got to Melksham at around 10 past 5 (half an hour late) so it's probably not reached Swindon yet.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2021, 19:32:52 »

I was on the reverse of that - scheduled 16:25 service Chandlers coach from Westbury through to Swindon. Interesting chat with the coach driver. Coach just back from its only trip of the last 16 months - all the way to Spain for a compulsory wheelchair lift to be fitted, cost the company £30k per coach. All of its drivers furloughed, no other income. He had no idea how Chandlers are still going - they have no school contracts either. Our driver was cutting his hedge in Chapmanslade when he got the call at 3:45 to go to Westbury. Got to Melksham at around 10 past 5 (half an hour late) so it's probably not reached Swindon yet.

I had a much briefer chat with him at Chippenham, where he arrived at around 17:30 and dropped off a good handful of people ... asked him if he was headed back to Melksham - "yes, eventually, after I've been to Swindon"; Chippenham Station staff had told me 18:10 for the coach, which I think was distinctly optimistic - probably more like 18:30 after his round trip to Swindon. So that would have been 18:50 rather than 18:01 at Melksham.  Real Time Trains doesn't track Rail Replacement Buses, so that's just an educated guess.

My plan had been to arrive in Swindon at 16:57 (from Cheltenham Spa) and catch the 17:36 to Melksham for 18:01.   Warned of the cancellation ahead of time, I connect at Swindon into the 16:58 Bristol train (very tight!!!) and got to Chippenham for 17:15, on via the last Faresaver bus of the day at 17:36, 18:04 into Melksham Market Place.   Warned by the barrier staff at Chippenham that my rail ticket would not be accepted on the bus (stupid restriction as both trains and buses are essentially government contracts now!) I swiped my old foggies pass and contributed an extra shekel to the Pickfords.

Nine trains, three buses and two taxi journeys today.   Only the last leg went wrong; sadly, had I been asked to bet on which leg wouldn't work before the day started, that's would have been my first choice.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2021, 21:43:51 »

The only full departure screen at Melksham Station has been switched off for months. 

Just to clarify.  It hasn’t been “switched off” - which suggests a deliberate act - it has failed.  Various departments are looking at it to establish why it isn’t working but none have yet come up with a fix which is frustrating and it should have been fixed by now.  However it hasn’t - and won’t be - forgotten.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2021, 22:29:44 »

Quote from: grahame on Today at 06:41:17 am
The only full departure screen at Melksham Station has been switched off for months.

Just to clarify.  It hasn’t been “switched off” - which suggests a deliberate act - it has failed.  Various departments are looking at it to establish why it isn’t working but none have yet come up with a fix which is frustrating and it should have been fixed by now.  However it hasn’t - and won’t be - forgotten.

Dare I suggest that this would not have happened at one of the main stations on the network, and certainly not at Paddington?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2021, 22:33:22 »

Thank you, Bob.   But I do have to suggest that the person who wrote the advice to "check the station signs" was not aware, or perhaps had forgotten, or felt that Melksham wasn't important enough to offer correct information and wrote just for everywhere else.  Grin Grin

Information on why it's not working had not been previously provided - just "thank you for letting us know - [we'll look at it / we're working on it]" (edit - pm sent with details / "back after software upgrade" hinted). The WebTIS screen - which used to provide the information to people by the station gate - has been covered by a notice common to many (all?) such screens across the GWR (Great Western Railway) area. That switch off is - judging by that pattern of behaviour by the TOC (Train Operating Company) - a deliberate act.  Without any feedback, I and passengers really knew no better "why" when the other screen went off, while the other display on the same pole still works ... and does it really matter why ... there has been no live information about rail replacement buses, other alternative arrangement, or longer view beyond next two scheduled trains, for months ...

Dare I suggest that this would not have happened at one of the main stations on the network, and certainly not at Paddington?

You took words out of my mouth as I wrote!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:58:06 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2021, 06:02:13 »

08:48 Westbury to Swindon due 09:30
09:40 Swindon to Weymouth due 11:55

Facilities on the 09:40 Swindon to Weymouth due 11:55.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.

Do you remember the days when summer weekend day trips trains into Weymouth were 5 carriages, or even an HST (High Speed Train)?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2021, 08:26:42 »

July summary

520 trains scheduled to call at Melksham in July
- 46 of them were cancelled
- 54 of them were "significantly late" using GWR (Great Western Railway) definition - 5 minutes or more
- 340 of them were on time
- the remaining 80 were late, but less than 5 minutes late

Of the 474 that ran, around 10 (pairs we logged on 7th, 15th, 18th, 23rd and 27th July) were announced online as cancelled, but were later re-instated.

This performance is significantly below industry targets, and makes it hard to promote public transport use where one of the key things people are looking for is reliability.

Further detail, analysis, and outcomes at http://www.passenger.chat/25297 in our "Transport Scholars" area.  If you wish to be added to the Transport Scholars area, please send me a personal message or "like" this post, which I will monitor for the next 3 days.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2021, 13:39:52 »

This is due to a shortage of train crew.

18:39 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21

18:39 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21 will be cancelled.

20:47 Swindon to Westbury due 21:28

20:47 Swindon to Westbury due 21:28 will be cancelled.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2021, 13:49:32 »

Deja Vu ... looking back through some very old threads!

As requested in another thread, here is a log of the running of the 06:19 from Swindon since the timetable changes of last December.  ...

Note that you'll find occasional gaps in the log, and they are typically when there were problems with the trains and / or reporting system - for example for 22nd July when the whole system was in chaos and (of course) the train failed to run.  I also know there are instances where trains due to call at Melksham show up with "false positives" on this system - in other words, they are recorded as running a few minutes before they are due, but then get cancelled or just disappear off the radar.

What does this mean?  Well - the week commencing 22nd July.  I believe it didn't run on 22nd.  Another thread tells me it was cancelled on 25th.   This system admits it was cancelled on 26th .... so as far as I'm aware, it ran just twice that week and was cancelled three times.    The system claims it ran three times, was cancelled once, and didn't know once.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2021, 11:54:23 »

Additional Information
Customers at Westbury and Trowbridge travelling to Chippenham or Swindon should travel on the 16:40 Gloucester service (16:46 from Trowbridge) and change at Bath Spa for the 17:45 service to London Paddington which calls at Chippenham (17:56) and Swindon at 18:10.

A Pewsey Vale coach has been arranged to run in place of this train service from Westbury to Chippenham, calling at Trowbridge and Melksham. Please check the stations Onward Travel Information poster and wait for the replacement road transport at the designated stop.

Additional Information
Customers at Swindon and Chippenham travelling to Trowbridge or Westbury should travel on the 17:33 Taunton service from Swindon (17:45 from Chippenham) and change at Bath Spa for the 18:03 service towards Weymouth which calls at Trowbridge (18:25) and Westbury (18:32). Tickets routed via Melksham will be accepted via Bath Spa.

Customers travelling to Melksham should change at Chippenham.

A Pewsey Vale coach has been arranged to run from Chippenham to Westbury calling at Melksham and Trowbridge. Please check the stations Onward Travel Information poster and wait for the replacement road transport at the designated stop.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2021, 12:58:58 »

14:16 Westbury to Swindon due 15:02

14:16 Westbury to Swindon due 15:02 will be cancelled.

15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:55

15:14 Swindon to Westbury due 15:55 will be cancelled.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2021, 14:38:33 »

18:39 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21

18:39 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21 will be cancelled.

20:47 Swindon to Westbury due 21:28

20:47 Swindon to Westbury due 21:28 will be cancelled.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
  Print  

Jump to: