Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:10:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 - TransWilts cancellation and amendment log  (Read 59947 times)
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 24, 2021, 06:45:29 »

Well, here's to £64.40 in Delay Repay. They've also cancelled the 0628 Swansea to Paddington for good measure. So even if the 0845 were running, I'd now miss it.

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 24, 2021, 07:24:26 »

Here we (don't) go .... AGAIN ....

07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19

07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
However, unlike yesterday, the 06:35 Salisbury - Cheltenham Spa being terminated at Swindon today (train crew shortage), seems likely to be riding to the rescue of the 08:45 Swindon - Westbury (which is fortunate in a sense as the Worcester to Weymouth doesn’t have the luxury of two units today, as it did yesterday).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2021, 08:50:45 »

Well, here's to £64.40 in Delay Repay. They've also cancelled the 0628 Swansea to Paddington for good measure. So even if the 0845 were running, I'd now miss it.

See you later ;-) ... the story of the 08:45 told in another follow up.  Interesting how the one you doubted ran, and the one you did not doubt ended up cancelled, but you would probably chose another word

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2021, 11:24:23 »

There you go, fixed that for you. Andrew Haines has grahame's phone number, and we will be expecting the call imminently.

I got to know - a little - Andrew when he was MD of Great Western Railway. That was long before he took on the wider role of Great British Railways. And I have a huge respect for him.  He has a mountain of issues to confront, which it would take me until Christmas to list, and I do not envy him that mountain.

In the UK (United Kingdom), we have a number of strong community, local, regional expertise and that community, outside of the conventional rail industry, Horseferry Road and political sphere could bring that expertise to help with perhaps radical progress if only it were allowed.  You jest, Lee, about Andrew Haines calling  and elsewhere I comment about asking Mark A to take on a role.  You yourself have more than a little to offer (and indeed you are doing so on the buses) and I could find some really excellent others - no shortage of candidates, many of whom are likely to be reading this (and I hope will know I am hinting at them!)

But ... it does require some brave decisions, and trust and a free reign to get on and do the darned job from those who have perhaps over-managed to the extent they have stifled improvement.  There are some really excellent people, but some work in really constraining systems.

Of course, we have been here before with putting forward just such a proposal shortly before the then similarly chronically reliability-challenged 5 trains each way per day TransWilts Rail service was slashed as a "quick win" back in December 2006 - see http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/open.html

Back then industry experts verified our figures as being credible, but were of the view that a locally run "Open Access" local rail service would not be possible in the then prevailing rail climate. However, our figures did end up being far closer to the actual ones recorded when a similar enhanced service was eventually introduced in December 2013 than those put forward by the official consultants.

Fast forward to December 2021, and now it's the figures that are up the swanee everywhere due to Covid, but Section 26 of the GBR (Great British Railways) White Paper says "It will be easier to design the geographic and financial size of contracts to reflect local markets and needs, and to reduce barriers to entry for new and innovative bidders where this is value for money." and "Integration could also enable multiple, smaller operators to co-exist efficiently in a way that has not previously been possible."

It's a funny old world.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 24, 2021, 11:40:22 »

An illustration of just what a mess there is at the moment - and how anything that involved a connection is double jeopardy at the moment.

I would suggest an emergency timetable - fewer trains, with additional trains run as staffing and "train repairs" allowed.  Something with a built in robustness which didn't fall over like a pack of cards at the first piece of disruption.   Of course, I haven't had THAT call suggested elsewhere yet  Cheesy ... and everyone seems to be so busy fire-fighting that the niceties of keeping in touch with the users feels very limited at times.

Eight of those cancellations through the afternoon were down to a points failure somewhere past Avonmouth. No doubt that was the source of the misinformation about why Swansea trains diverted around the Severn Tunnel - the real cause being a points failure at Severn Tunnel Junction. Mind you, an incinerator train did get through, via Henbury. But even if that route was available for passengers, the through trans to Severn Beach probably needed cancelling anyway due to lack of staff.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 24, 2021, 12:14:49 »

I would suggest an emergency timetable - fewer trains, with additional trains run as staffing and "train repairs" allowed.  Something with a built in robustness which didn't fall over like a pack of cards at the first piece of disruption.   Of course, I haven't had THAT call suggested elsewhere yet  Cheesy ... and everyone seems to be so busy fire-fighting that the niceties of keeping in touch with the users feels very limited at times.

Be careful what you wish for. SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) have completely removed some TER services, notably five around Perpignan. When pressed, they said this was due not just to staff self-isolating but that the number of passengers had fallen too. Presumably they meant "below the level that made the service worth running at all". So far, buses are replacing them, though with passengers having less space per each. Of course that depends on the bus drivers being there ...
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: December 24, 2021, 12:39:24 »

Be careful what you wish for. SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) have completely removed some TER services, notably five around Perpignan. When pressed, they said this was due not just to staff self-isolating but that the number of passengers had fallen too. Presumably they meant "below the level that made the service worth running at all". So far, buses are replacing them, though with passengers having less space per each. Of course that depends on the bus drivers being there ...

I half agree and half disagree with stuving on this.

I must admit that when grahame posted that earlier, it sent a bit of a shiver down my spine. I would indeed be concerned that once you "temporarily" lose some TransWilts services from the timetable itself, there is a high risk that they will then be gone for good, with the remaining trains still considered low priority and thus still subject to cancellation as well. Certainly i have seen similar moves cause a spiral into terminal decline elsewhere.

On the other hand, it is important to note that what stuving describes is not typical everywhere in France. Here in Brittany we are unfortunately, as you would expect with the current Covid situation, having to cancel the odd local/regional service here and there due to staff shortages. However, we always quickly put on alternative transport and/or extra stops in other services, and it is a top priority to get the message out as quickly as possible through as many channels as possible, from station information right through to very swift Social Media posting.

However, we have no plans to remove any local/regional services from the timetable itself. For one thing, it would be counterproductive for the future given that passenger numbers have held up remarkably well on our patch.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #457 on: December 24, 2021, 12:43:06 »

18:34 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21
20:45 Swindon to Westbury due 21:26

20:45 Swindon to Westbury due 21:26 will be cancelled.

Never mind - there will be another one along on 27th December ... ah - that's all right - I can claim compensation:
If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #458 on: December 24, 2021, 13:15:10 »

Never mind - there will be another one along on 27th December ... ah - that's all right -I can claim compensation:
If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay

I wonder if someone has been reading the forum  Grin ... 

Additional Information

Replacement road transport has been requested to run in lieu of this train service between Westbury and Swindon via stations. Please check the stations Onward Travel Information poster and wait for the replacement road transport at the designated stop. The replacement road transport may run later than the advertised train times owing to the additional time taken by road between stations and the time required for loading and unloading at each stop.

One cheer, but better than none - road transport (bus, minibus or taxi) on this basis remains much inferior to a train service in the view of most passenger.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 24, 2021, 13:25:45 »

Of course replacing TER services by buses is something SNCF do routinely, on the grounds that "it's not worth running a train just for six people". It doesn't need disruption, and sometimes it's part of the normal timetable.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 24, 2021, 17:28:51 »

See you later ;-) ... the story of the 08:45 told in another follow up.  Interesting how the one you doubted ran, and the one you did not doubt ended up cancelled, but you would probably chose another word
Yes, ironic that the most reliable of the South Wales trains was the one cancelled! But the staff at Swindon were brilliant. They issued me with a supplementary travel authority and sent me via Bath (in First Class). With how busy the train between Bath and Westbury was, I was glad to have succeeded in avoiding Bristol Temple Meads on the little trains in the present circumstances.

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 24, 2021, 18:10:50 »

17:50 Gloucester to Warminster due 19:44 has been cancelled.

Posted 14 minutes after train should have departed from Gloucester.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #462 on: December 28, 2021, 08:00:37 »

07:37 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
08:45 Swindon to Westbury due 09:26

Facilities on the 08:45 Swindon to Westbury due 09:26.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 2.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #463 on: December 28, 2021, 11:44:25 »

Yes ... it really was 5 cars.  I was due to pop by the station just to check it was tidy and the 09:10 to Westbury was indeed a 2 car 158 leading a 3 car 158, operated single door at Melksham which was adequate for the handful off and handful on a windy, rainy Bank Holiday.

Station itself very much "switched off" - not a key day for new customers, but it needs to be a bit more open come the New Year.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 28, 2021, 16:57:25 »

No spare driver to split the two units and take 158958 to the sidings.   Split was done when the two came back from Swindon two hours later.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32
  Print  

Jump to: