Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:23:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lineside works near Sandhurst station  (Read 5110 times)
RichT54

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2022, 10:40:25 »

Last weekend I noticed that some supplies had been left at intervals along the banks of the cutting just north of Sandhurst station.

They consist of packs of short concrete castings with a capital Ι cross section, packs of longer concrete castings with a plain rectangular cross section, plus packs of concrete mix. They were still there today - see the attached photos.

What will they be used for? The only thing I could think of was new cable ducting, perhaps for signalling?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 11:20:59 »

Currently the line is controlled by Wokingham signal box to a mile short of Farnborough North (near Synhurst footpath crossing). That means signals only - the crossover at Blackwater is operated by a ground frame, and there are no other points. With the recontrol from Wokingham SB (Signal Box) to Feltham RSC going on at the moment, there is a lot of work being done in many different places, some of it hard to relate directly to signalling. So this might be some of that work.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 14:31:23 by stuving » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 11:23:30 »

I can't be sure, but they look more like supports for ballast or embankment toes. A bit like gravel boards without a fence above. The flat panels slot into the i posts. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 21:40:33 »

Hmm.  If they have any left over, those would also be bluddy useful in my back garden: I'll make them an offer.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 23:27:10 »

I can't be sure, but they look more like supports for ballast or embankment toes. A bit like gravel boards without a fence above. The flat panels slot into the i posts. 

I sort of thought that too. But why are those post/beams made with a (stonehenge-style) little tenon on one end a matching mortise in the other? Further research finds that this is a "bobble finished top": just an alternative decoration to a pyramid, but it's usual for both of these to be put on both ends.
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 08:39:00 »

I have attached a couple of extra photos in case they help. One shows a closer view of the ends of the i-beams/posts.

The other is the view looking north. There are further sets of supplies along the left side of the cutting. There are also a number of blue and white objects or markings at intervals along the right side of the tracks. It's difficult to tell what they are, as the photo was taken on my phone and doesn't show enough detail. The blue object at the bottom of the photo looks like a damaged sign, but may be different to those on the right. The larger blue area on the bridge is graffiti.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 08:44:43 »

Support to the embankment toe does look like a possibility I have seen such elsewhere. 
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 08:58:18 »

I've had a look at some of my earlier photos and the blue/white objects on the right weren't there in August 2020, but were there in September 2021, so perhaps not related to the current works.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 12:59:29 »

The white with blue top items are rectangular drainage catch pits, they have a similar access function to the kerbside gullies for roadside drainage, a place where they can get in and clean out the drains.

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 21:34:01 »

I have attached a couple of extra photos in case they help. One shows a closer view of the ends of the i-beams/posts.

The other is the view looking north. There are further sets of supplies along the left side of the cutting. There are also a number of blue and white objects or markings at intervals along the right side of the tracks. It's difficult to tell what they are, as the photo was taken on my phone and doesn't show enough detail. The blue object at the bottom of the photo looks like a damaged sign, but may be different to those on the right. The larger blue area on the bridge is graffiti.

Concrete gravel boards, used to hold back embankment base,  Used for a number of reasons some are, to just hold back the base of an embankment, the allow the instillation of cable trough route or to provide a walking route

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 09:59:47 »

The works are now under way between the footbridge and the Church Road bridge in Little Sandhurst.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 17:02:34 »

The works are now under way between the footbridge and the Church Road bridge in Little Sandhurst.

Looks like a fairly standard gravel board install to protect the trough route from embankment encroachment, it is also posible it is being installed in readiness for an additional trough route

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 10:38:57 »

Looks like a fairly standard gravel board install to protect the trough route from embankment encroachment, it is also posible it is being installed in readiness for an additional trough route

There were no workers on site this morning, but sections of temporary fencing have been erected between the tracks and the existing trough.

When I went passed on the train on Friday, I noticed there were much longer sections of the same type of fencing extending several hundred yards southwards from Crowthorne station.

I have attached some photos taken from the footbridge in Little Sandhurst.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 15:07:10 »

There were no workers on site this morning, but sections of temporary fencing have been erected between the tracks and the existing trough.

When I went passed on the train on Friday, I noticed there were much longer sections of the same type of fencing extending several hundred yards southwards from Crowthorne station.

I have attached some photos taken from the footbridge in Little Sandhurst.

Fencing is known as Vortox fencing, it provides a temporary fenced work sit, so no additional staff protection against trains is required

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: