I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:38:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: G7 Summit - Cornwall - June 2021  (Read 29648 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2021, 11:10:22 »

Blooming heck the County will be in all sorts of states in June. St Ives / Carbis Bay to host G7 summit of World Leaders in June.

(and yes I am pinching myself)

https://twitter.com/CornwallLive/status/1350401159513559040
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:19:04 by RailCornwall » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 12:10:14 »

Social event? Yeah right...whdn has a G7 event ever had a social event surround it?

The area will be on complete lockdown and a security bubble with only accredited personnel allowed within. Residents will be acceedited to their properties, yes, but others won?t get within 25 miles frankly.

There?s also the protest element that they?ll want to keep out too. At least its being held before school holidays, so accomodation providers won?t be complaining they?ll only be selling to the press that week.

As for a social occasion, I think not
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 13:43:34 »

Geoff DC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 13:54:47 »

looks like a media blackout on this as all media references now bring up a 404
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 16:48:46 »

Maybe thats why the track has been replaced on the St Ives branch. They are expecting Joe Biden to want to go for a train ride.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 17:54:41 »

Maybe thats why the track has been replaced on the St Ives branch. They are expecting Joe Biden to want to go for a train ride.

That's the pic we want!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 18:00:44 »

Can the runway at Newquay Airport cope with Air Force One?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 18:06:37 »

Land's End Airport (LEQ» (Land's End Airport - about)) is closer and now has asphalted runways

Up to 2014, all of the airport's runways were grass. During the winters of 2012/13 and 2013/14 the airport closed for long periods when the runways became waterlogged, and flights were temporarily moved from Land's End to Newquay. In May 2013, ISSC and the Council of the Isles of Scilly submitted a bid for finance from the European Regional Development Fund for runway resurfacing at Land's End, together with various improvements at St Mary's. In May 2014, the European Commission gave its approval. The cost of the planned asphalting at Land's End was stated to be GBP-2.6M, for which the European fund's contribution was GBP-1.3M. The airport closed on 4 July 2014 for the asphalting of two runways, with Skybus flights diverted to Newquay, and it reopened on 29 July.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 18:31:28 »

I think the answer is yes - so long as it's not got too much fuel on board (so no flying direct back home). After all, it's still the old RAF (Royal Air Force) St. Mawgan runway. But for Land's End, a negative fuel load would be needed - or else "Air Force One" would be something much smaller relabelled for the occasion.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 20:01:56 »

Cornwall Live lead text ....

Cornwall has been chosen to host the international G7 leaders? summit in June in what is likely to be a landmark first meeting between world leaders since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

It comes after speculation grew in recent days and was then confirmed by the government earlier today before being formally announced tonight.

Organisations across Cornwall have welcomed the news, pledging an event that will leave a lasting social and economic legacy to benefit all of the county's residents.

The major three-day international event will see leaders from the UK (United Kingdom), Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States, as well as invited leaders from Australia, India, and South Korea attend. It could also be Joe Biden's first trip to the UK as President of the US.

The event will host world leaders at Carbis Bay, with neighbouring St Ives and other sites in Cornwall, such as Falmouth, hosting international delegates and media ? with organisers determined to make this an event for all residents in Cornwall to experience and share.

The Prime Minister Boris Johnson has spoken of the upcoming event, describing it as "a crucial summit".

It will be the 46th meeting of the G7 leaders. The 2020 event, set to take place in the United States, was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Mr Johnson said: ?As the most prominent grouping of democratic countries, the G7 has long been the catalyst for decisive international action to tackle the greatest challenges we face. From cancelling developing world debt to our universal condemnation of Russia?s annexation of Crimea, the world has looked to the G7 to apply our shared values and diplomatic might to create a more open and prosperous planet.

?Coronavirus is doubtless the most destructive force we have seen for generations and the greatest test of the modern world order we have experienced. It is only right that we approach the challenge of building back better by uniting with a spirit of openness to create a better future.

?Cornwall is the perfect location for such a crucial summit. Two hundred years ago Cornwall?s tin and copper mines were at the heart of the UK?s industrial revolution and this summer Cornwall will again be the nucleus of great global change and advancement. I?m very much looking forward to welcoming world leaders to this great region and country.?

Julian German, leader of Cornwall Council, said: ?This is a fantastic opportunity to showcase the best of Cornwall and the UK on the world stage, and to build our strength and prosperity at home.

?For those reasons we are determined that this event delivers a lasting legacy for our residents, inspires our young people and shows how we can play our part in bringing the world together after the unprecedented challenges of the pandemic ? and bringing together all parts of the UK together, leaving no-one and nowhere behind.

?We want a lasting legacy that maximises inward investment, translating our moment on the global stage into trade. A legacy that helps Cornwall bounce forward and make its full contribution to the country?s ambitions in areas like space and satellite, floating offshore wind and other sources of clean energy, and globally significant geo-resources including lithium to power our future.?

Chief Constable Shaun Sawyer QPM, of Devon & Cornwall Police, added: ?I am delighted that Cornwall will be hosting this landmark event for the United Kingdom in an area that is not only one of the safest in the country, but also combines breath-taking scenery and innovative businesses with exceptional local hospitality.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 20:06:58 by RailCornwall » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 20:53:06 »

Perhaps a special charter train could be provided from London to convey some of those attending ?
Greener than flying, despite being diesel powered.
Connecting with Eurostar services perhap ?
Possibly another charter from the North/Scotland, that one could be electric part of the way, which ticks a green box.

Most world leaders expect to fly pretty much everywhere, but some at least could try the train.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 21:06:17 »

I think the answer is yes - so long as it's not got too much fuel on board (so no flying direct back home). After all, it's still the old RAF (Royal Air Force) St. Mawgan runway. But for Land's End, a negative fuel load would be needed - or else "Air Force One" would be something much smaller relabelled for the occasion.

Air Force 0.1? 🙂
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 21:07:18 »

Most world leaders expect to fly pretty much everywhere, but some at least could try the train.

I expect Boris will cycle there straight from Downing Street.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 21:18:22 »

To avoid Covid issues, I'd expect they'll all fly into Newquay Airport or RNAS Culdrose and fly out from them both at the end. I'd expect Biden's entourage to use Newquay and he'll probably helicopter down the coast to land very close to the Tregenna Castle if not in the grounds. I'd expect the recreational trip to be to St Michaels Mount or Lands End which will be easy to secure. I'd expect the Branchline to be out of Public Service for the event and a day or so beforehand. You can't really keep that open with it's proximity to the Carbis Bay Resort location. St Ives and Carbis Bay will almost certainly be residents and delegates only for the duration.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 21:23:28 by RailCornwall » Logged
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 21:50:50 »

To avoid Covid issues, I'd expect they'll all fly into Newquay Airport or RNAS Culdrose and fly out from them both at the end. I'd expect Biden's entourage to use Newquay and he'll probably helicopter down the coast to land very close to the Tregenna Castle if not in the grounds. I'd expect the recreational trip to be to St Michaels Mount or Lands End which will be easy to secure. I'd expect the Branchline to be out of Public Service for the event and a day or so beforehand. You can't really keep that open with it's proximity to the Carbis Bay Resort location. St Ives and Carbis Bay will almost certainly be residents and delegates only for the duration.

I have to say I think you are wrong about the branch line needing to be closed but we'll see. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: