Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:40:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: G7 Summit - Cornwall - June 2021  (Read 29638 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 17:26:52 »

The US is looking to procure something new, probably based on a Dreamliner 787.

The replacements for the VC-25's will be 2x 747-8's as far as I know. I think the airframes are already built (as Boeing is only making 747 freighters now, and that is due to end soon) and parked in a desert somewhere. Ironically, Wikipedia suggests they were destined for now bankrupt Russian carrier, Transaero.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 18:15:51 »

British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)) Spotlight local news are reporting the the hotel to be used has known for some time.

British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) local news availble for TWENTY FOUR hours only on the i-player thingy

Edit:VickiS - clarifying acronym
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 15:16:07 by VickiS » Logged
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 19:35:52 »

I have been wondering what route would be taken by a through train from Paddington to St Ives (which appears to be the nearest station to Tregenna Castle), if a special train were to be run.

Looking at Google maps in satellite view, I see there is a crossover just to the west of St Erth station. So I suppose a train from Paddington would run through St Erth station on the down line, stop west of the crossover, reverse over the crossover onto the up line, pass through St Erth again and then take the branch.

Would the signalling permit such a manoeuvre? Would there be any gauging issues on the branch? It looks as though the platform at St Ives would take a five-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.); if not, selective door opening could be used.

This is doubtless a pipe-dream, but President-elect Biden is known to be an enthusiast for rail travel, as we discussed here, so perhaps he would be supportive of such a plan.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 20:05:55 »

I have been wondering what route would be taken by a through train from Paddington to St Ives (which appears to be the nearest station to Tregenna Castle), if a special train were to be run.

Boris, I'm sure,  could cycle to Paddington.  Not sure how other leaders would get onto the rail network.

Prior to 2013, there was an airfield at Filton that would probably have been long enough, with a railway track close to the runway and although there's no regular service along there, the line does take diverted passenger trains and I'm sure a platform could have been built - indeed it would have made an excellent rail / air interchange more generally.   And the IETs (Intercity Express Train) run close to there - little issue with gauging issues.

Looking at Google maps in satellite view, I see there is a crossover just to the west of St Erth station. So I suppose a train from Paddington would run through St Erth station on the down line, stop west of the crossover, reverse over the crossover onto the up line, pass through St Erth again and then take the branch.

Would the signalling permit such a manoeuvre? Would there be any gauging issues on the branch? It looks as though the platform at St Ives would take a five-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.); if not, selective door opening could be used.

Don't know - but it could certainly bounce back at Penzance if not.   There are through trains from Penzance to St Ives and back at the start and end of the day.   The branch issue would be the length of the carriages around corners for clearance, but well-broadcast trouble spots such as Narbeth tunnel turned out to not be a problem.

This is doubtless a pipe-dream, but President-elect Biden is known to be an enthusiast for rail travel, as we discussed here, so perhaps he would be supportive of such a plan.

Yep - but also a busy man so you have to find somewhat to get him onto the railway 'towards' the West Country, and where the terminal / aircraft to train transfer would be easy - alongside would have been good at Filton ... I can only think of one other airport where it would be really close.   There's a 7,500 foot runway here, and a perimeter gate off the taxiway a few yards from the station.   Problem - very long way from St Ives and more than a bit run down ...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 20:17:52 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 20:17:32 »

Stand by for half the Royal Naval frigates and destroyers to be in the area,

What ! Both of them Huh
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 21:05:53 »

they will fly into Newquay and helicopter to the hotel. They won't arrive on a 150.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 22:29:11 »

Boris, I'm sure,  could cycle to Paddington.  Not sure how other leaders would get onto the rail network.

I had assumed Heathrow, but there is then the issue of accessing the rail network, as you say. If not Heathrow Express to Paddington, perhaps the remains of the Colnbrook branch could be used, or maybe Windsor & Eton Central could be commandeered? I suppose the problem is that the leaders would arrive from different countries at different times, so maybe the special train should be for the press corps and entourage only.

Prior to 2013, there was an airfield at Filton that would probably have been long enough, with a railway track close to the runway and although there's no regular service along there, the line does take diverted passenger trains and I'm sure a platform could have been built - indeed it would have made an excellent rail / air interchange more generally.   And the IETs (Intercity Express Train) run close to there - little issue with gauging issues.

Indeed -- and there was the North Filton Platform.

Don't know - but it could certainly bounce back at Penzance if not.   There are through trains from Penzance to St Ives and back at the start and end of the day.   The branch issue would be the length of the carriages around corners for clearance, but well-broadcast trouble spots such as Narberth tunnel turned out to not be a problem.

Yes -- going via Penzance would certainly be possible, and might be the only way if a loco-hauled service were used, unless double-headed.

Yep - but also a busy man so you have to find somewhat to get him onto the railway 'towards' the West Country, and where the terminal / aircraft to train transfer would be easy - alongside would have been good at Filton ... I can only think of one other airport where it would be really close.   There's a 7,500 foot runway here, and a perimeter gate off the taxiway a few yards from the station.   Problem - very long way from St Ives and more than a bit run down ...

Ah -- Tees-side Airport to St Ives? Well, there's a first time for everything!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 22:34:17 by Kempis » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 22:48:41 »

Joe Biden is no stranger to trains. He has been called Amtrac Joe. 
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2021, 23:28:40 »

they will fly into Newquay and helicopter to the hotel. They won't arrive on a 150.

Well, I said it was a pipe-dream!

But, purely as a matter of academic interest, I would be glad if anyone with local knowledge, or access to a track diagram, could confirm or correct my speculation as to access from London to the St Ives branch.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2021, 23:40:26 »

But, purely as a matter of academic interest, I would be glad if anyone with local knowledge, or access to a track diagram, could confirm or correct my speculation as to access from London to the St Ives branch.

1941 and 1958 diagrams: https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S1086-12.pdf
from https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S1086.htm

Not sure of current stuff - 2nd bay lost from 1958 but otherwise similar??

Edit to add - http://www.svrsig.org/diags/S1086.htm - changes in 1964

Further edit Picture showing shunt signal still in place dated 6/2012

Not sure if shunt operations are only allowed for empty trains or additionally for
... special trains
... regular passenger trains
... trains conveying people of PM level
... trains conveying people of Queen or President Of The United States (POTUS (President Of The United States)) level

Edit:VickiS - clarifying abbreviation
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 15:24:38 by VickiS » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2021, 23:56:39 »

https://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/121-st_erth

Would need a reversal, but possible.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 01:50:46 »

Can the runway at Newquay Airport cope with Air Force One?

I think the answer is yes - so long as it's not got too much fuel on board (so no flying direct back home). After all, it's still the old RAF (Royal Air Force) St. Mawgan runway. But for Land's End, a negative fuel load would be needed - or else "Air Force One" would be something much smaller relabelled for the occasion.

I've flown into Sint Maarten in the Caribbean which is an infamous 7,500ft runway. They take scheduled 747s so the 9,000ft runway at Newquay should be easy. The VC-25A (military version of the 747-200) has better engines than your average jumbo and STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) (Short Take Off & Landing) capabilities I believe. It also has a classified system that allows it to achieve cruising height very quickly. That was used for the first time with the President Of The United States (POTUS (President Of The United States)) on board on 9/11. They wanted to get Bush off the ground ASAP. The two planes have a higher maximum cruising altitude as well. They flew close to that on the day so that they would have greater warning of anyone on an intercept course.

This isn't the only plane that will be used on the visit. There's the C5 Galaxys that will bring over the motorcade/VH-60N, a C32 used for Secret Service personnel etc. Occaisionally an E4B Nightwatch accompanies the president too though not often to the UK (United Kingdom). And finally there's a chance a VC-20C will come over too. That's an Air Force Gulfstream that's used as an emergency backup for the VC-25A.  Can operate from a smaller runway and has enhanced communication gear on board. Normally lands at a different airport to the President so Exeter would be likely.

Edit:VickiS - clarifying abbreviation
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 15:27:36 by VickiS » Logged
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 07:14:59 »

It was Royal Air Force (RAF (Royal Air Force)) St Mawgan and handled the biggest aircraft and is also Spaceport Cornwall as a base for Virgin orbit. If Trump was still president he might have been sent on a sub orbital flight.

Of course it might not be Biden who comes, the way the comedians talk, but President Kamala Harris!

Edit :VickiS - clarifying acronym
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 15:28:16 by VickiS » Logged
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 07:26:07 »

If they want to get the American aircraft carriers in, or the Queen Elizabeth (leaks permitting) keep an eye out for the Royal Navy Hydrographic Service checking that nobody is going to scrape their keel.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 08:35:33 »

Indeed, Filton Airfield still had two platforms last time I looked. It just doesn't have an airfield any more.

Oh, I dunno. Lick of paint...

TeesValleyLine Tees-side Airport2
Adam Brookes (Adambro), CC BY-SA 2.5 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5>, via Wikimedia Commons

...then a 9-hour ride on the train if you're lucky with CrossCountry. The Japanese premier will have spent longer in the air.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:53:56 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: