Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:42:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: More new investment - but is the Treasury looking for excuses to miss off OHL?  (Read 5113 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 14:57:45 »

Any new lines should in my view be electrified at 25 KV.
Absolutely Broadgauge!
[/quote]

Very interesting as what is considered a "new" line.  And I will beg a couple of exceptional situations

Oxted to Uckfield, and Guidford to Reigate - happy with 750v third rail.   Also more arguably lines on the western periphery of third rail such as the Waterside line. Also Ashford to Hastings. And Newport and Ventnor should they happen.  Should Lostwithiel to Fowey re-open, isolated 25kV would seem perverse while the nearest other electric trains are Newbury or Bristol Parkway. Run National  Network or Go-op trains to Minehead, sharing the same line and infrastructure costs with WSR (well, we can dream) and I would be happy with batteries or even (!) fossil fuel for the first handful of years.

But - for the majority of cases ... utterly OHL (Over-Head Line) from day 1.   Oxford to Bedford (AND Didcot to Oxford).  Portishead. etc.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 18:33:56 »

New conductor rail installations are effectively prohibited except perhaps in the case of VERY minor additions such as adding another platform at a station already equipped with conductor rail, or doubling an existing single track conductor rail route.

Whilst there is no law that states in so many words "no more conductor rail installations" There IS a de facto ban via general health and safety law.
For a new installation, someone, somewhere has to "sign off" a new conductor rail installation as being "as safe as reasonably practical" That person would be liable to prosecution, perhaps years later when a trespasser is electrocuted.

And yes in the case of Minehead I would be satisfied with fossil fueled trains initially, with battery power or even electrification in the longer term. "Heritage Over-Head Line Equipment" ("Heritage OHLE") perhaps !

Edit:VickiS - Clarifying acronym
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 14:39:27 by VickiS » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 07:08:59 »

New conductor rail installations are effectively prohibited except perhaps in the case of VERY minor additions such as adding another platform at a station already equipped with conductor rail, or doubling an existing single track conductor rail route.

Whilst there is no law that states in so many words "no more conductor rail installations" There IS a de facto ban via general health and safety law.
For a new installation, someone, somewhere has to "sign off" a new conductor rail installation as being "as safe as reasonably practical" That person would be liable to prosecution, perhaps years later when a trespasser is electrocuted.

And yes in the case of Minehead I would be satisfied with fossil fueled trains initially, with battery power or even electrification in the longer term. "Heritage OHLE" perhaps !

New exposed conductor rail electrification (ie NR» (Network Rail - home page) Southern Region) are not prohibited.   

The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) however require any such new electrification to be fully compliant with the Electricity at Work (1989) Regulations.  no "grandfathered" practices would be permitted.

NR recent policy for Electrification has had its words amended to reflect the ORR position, the ORR position has not really changed it was more NR policy.

To make a new exposed conductor rail electrification compliant with the EaW Regs are not easy to achieve but not impossible just expensive

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 08:22:26 »

Whatever the legal situation, I do recall a Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) director speaking of third rail problems one icy winter day. In essence, he said that if Network Rail (NR) was to introduce electrification for the first time, third rail DC (Direct Current) would not be the method of choice, but we are stuck with it for the foreseeable. When the rest of the country is 25 KV AC, replacing the third rail can be the next job.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 14:40:57 by VickiS » Logged

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 17:45:08 »

Agree, third rail is a non optimum choice for long distance main lines.
The former Southern Railway network is said to be the largest in the world, in terms of both total route miles, and distance in miles to the most distant parts.

It was never properly planned, but "just sort of grew"
In the early days of the Southern, electric power was clearly preferable to steam for inner suburban routes due to the rapid acceleration from the many stops, and the absence of light engine movements at London termini.
Electric trains then gradually spread to outer suburban routes and even to the south coast.
The cost of electric outer suburban services was reduced by the capital already sunk in the inner suburban routes.
Each extension therefore made perfect sense on its own, but considered as a whole did not make sense if compared to overhead electrification.

They had better get a move on in changing to 25 KV overhead, before English Heritage list the conductor rail!

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 20:52:32 »

Remember the the Brighton line correctly chose overhead before the more prolific South Western swamped them on Grouping and one system had to prevail.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 22:25:00 »

LSWR (London South Western Railway) weren't the only ones. In Paris, the banlieu ouest suburban network of Gare Saint Lazare was electrified with 750 V DC (Direct Current) third rail in the 1920s. I thought that was short-lived, due to the adverse effect of ice, but it was used until thew 1960s. (I was probably thinking of ground pick-up for trams!)

The whole network was changed over to 25 kV OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") in 1967-77, with all the attendant clearance works, bridge rebuilding, etc. The height of French trains isn't an issue - it's the extra height for the OLE that matters. So it can be done. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 08:38:05 »

Remember the the Brighton line correctly chose overhead before the more prolific South Western swamped them on Grouping and one system had to prevail.

Those were the days! How much quicker it would be to get electrification done on stepladders by the Peaky Blinders.

Now, please!
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 15:28:58 »

How much quicker it would be to get electrification done on stepladders by the Peaky Blinders.

I guess you are thinking of the picture on first page of this https://www.thepwi.org/technical_hub/technical_hub_files/section_meeting_presentations/9_september_2020_-_managing_overhead_line_ole_on_network_rails_western_route_-_darrel_tiddy_elena_ionescu

I have also seen a photo taken in the 1980s of work on OHL (Over-Head Line) with ladders.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 16:18:44 »

Here is the 1980 photo somewhere on the ECML (East Coast Main Line)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 17:36:08 »

I expect they knocked the speed limit down to 100mph past the site.  Grin

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 19:35:19 »

For a moment I thought someone was standing on the roof of that 125 sorry High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)).

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 14:44:06 by VickiS » Logged
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 20:36:33 »

For a moment I thought someone was standing on the roof of that 125 sorry HST (High Speed Train).
IC (Inter City)125. It even says so on the power car, that train is an InterCity 125. It is also a HST, but HST is just High Speed Train which depending on the definition you choose to use can mean any train capable of at least 125mph in service. That means, for example, Voyagers, class 390s, 800s and InterCity 225s are also HSTs.

This is a cause of growing concern. If on the one hand no private passenger cars powered by petrol and diesel will be sold by/after 2030, it is exasperating that the tried, tested and almost universally used OHL (Over-Head Line) electric system is not being used here. If it's good enough for most of the rest of Europe, including many countries that are much poorer than us, why not here?
Agreed 100%. I am starting to worry that lines will be closed because we get to 2049 and still haven't electrified them and closure is the only way to decarbonise the railway by 2050. Then again, like with the PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility) deadline, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) may just grant a dispensation.

In the case of the Ashington/Blyth/North of Tyneside scheme, it screams out that this should be an extension of the Tyne Metro. If it could run with similar rolling stock, the savings of combining the maintenance and support overheads in the medium to long term alone will surely be substantial.
I disagree; the Metro (I assume) does not have toilets on its trains, and Newcastle-Ashington is further than Cardiff-Caerphilly/Taffs Well which I think should be the limit for TfW's toiletless tram-trains. Also, I forget whether the new Metro stock will have 25kv capability.

Will this money be spent on actually building railway infrastructure and purchasing rolling stock ? Or is it in fact funding for another round of studies, reviews, and consultations ?
Any mention of hydrogen concerns me a bit, since it can mean feasability studies about hydrogen, rather than building anything.

Any new lines should in my view be electrified at 25 KV. Battery power is in my view more applicable to EXISTING lines that are problematic to electrify due to limited clearances to existing structures or for other reasons.

This is at least the third time this has been launched, plus it has been cancelled  a time or two. We can assume that it will happen, and as TonyN points out, big work is under way.

I agree entirely about electrification, although having wires over just the new bit would be ridiculous. At the very least, the gantry bases should be put in ready, with sites for substations made ready. I thought it crazy that Filton Bank wasn't prepared in that way, as it was being practically rebuilt. Hydrogen is a red herring - the minister only mentioned it to wrong-foot anyone who was going to complain about emissions. He can now say "We're looking at it. Now, do you want a railway or a new road?".
Regarding East-West Rail, I think the sensible thing at this stage if you're not going to wire the lot is to wire Oxford - Bletchley. Didcot - Oxford is still due to be wired (it was defered rather than cancelled if I recall correctly) so there will be wires at that end anyway, Oxford-Bicester I think has already had the bridge work done as part of Chiltern's evergreen programme and Bicester - Bletchley doesn't have any passenger services currently that the electrification work would disrupt. GWR (Great Western Railway) would then be able to use 387s (or 769s in electric mode) on Oxford - Milton Keynes services and a regional express (ie. something like a 158, 175 or 444) bi-mode unit (which I think we need lots of in the UK (United Kingdom), so there are economies of scale to be had) could be used for the 1tph that is planned to project through to Bedford.

as a result of the inefficiencies of rolling stock procurement in the recent past we seem to have surplus electric stock sitting idle
I wouldn't say 'inefficiencies', I would say 'poorly planned and specified'. Even so, the big problem is the loss of faith regarding electrification - had the rolling programme once mooted following on from the Manchester-Liverpool/Blackpool triangle and MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) schemes materialised there would be homes for the cascaded EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 10:25:37 »

In the case of the Ashington/Blyth/North of Tyneside scheme, it screams out that this should be an extension of the Tyne Metro. If it could run with similar rolling stock, the savings of combining the maintenance and support overheads in the medium to long term alone will surely be substantial.

From SENRUG on 30th March

Another frustrating (online) meeting today with Council staff and their consultants. SENRUG remains highly disappointed that they are not taking on board any of SENRUG’s legitimate responses to the latest  Northumberland Line (Ashington Blyth & Tyne Line Re-opening) consultation. This leaves us in a difficult position. We very much support the re-opening itself, having campaigned for it for 15 years, and don’t want to take any action that will delay the re-opening date. But we nevertheless believe that 3 key and avoidable mistakes are being made at the design stage which will be costly if not impossible to rectify later. These are:

a) Stations designed for car users, not pedestrians or bus users. ...

b) Failure to design the northbound running line at Bedlington to have reversible signalling so that eventually trains from Newcastle via Morpeth could reverse in the platform ...

c) Failure to “design in” the need for future double tracking ...

We’re also disappointed that the Council seem to want to set up a new group of “Northumberland Line Champions” rather than work through SENRUG ...

Oh dear ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2021, 11:08:53 »

From SENRUG on 30th March

Another frustrating (online) meeting today with Council staff and their consultants. SENRUG remains highly disappointed that they are not taking on board any of SENRUG’s legitimate responses to the latest  Northumberland Line (Ashington Blyth & Tyne Line Re-opening) consultation. This leaves us in a difficult position. We very much support the re-opening itself, having campaigned for it for 15 years, and don’t want to take any action that will delay the re-opening date. But we nevertheless believe that 3 key and avoidable mistakes are being made at the design stage which will be costly if not impossible to rectify later. These are:

a) Stations designed for car users, not pedestrians or bus users. ...

b) Failure to design the northbound running line at Bedlington to have reversible signalling so that eventually trains from Newcastle via Morpeth could reverse in the platform ...

c) Failure to “design in” the need for future double tracking ...

We’re also disappointed that the Council seem to want to set up a new group of “Northumberland Line Champions” rather than work through SENRUG ...

Oh dear ...

The full a) reads as follows:

a) Stations designed for car users, not pedestrians or bus users. Ashington, Bebside and Seaton Delaval in particular have the station entrances set back a long way from the main roads and too far from the bus stops. There also seems to be an over-provision of car parking facilities at several stations.

This will actually be illegal under the new DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Bus Strategy, which requires that bus services call at the railway station, that bus stops are situated as close to the station entrance as possible, and that schemes and proposals that move bus services away from railway stations will no longer be allowed.

I dont know whether there is a "history" there, but on the Council apparently wishing to "set up a new group of “Northumberland Line Champions” rather than work through SENRUG", from my experience with helping to set up the improved TransWilts Rail service in 2013 - effectively a "reopening" in terms of the dire service it replaced - Wiltshire Council could have taken the view that they didnt want to work with people like grahame, Phil or myself because of previous "Save The Train" era criticisms.

Instead they fully integrated their publicity with ours, even going so far as to appoint me as their Travel Advisor Team Leader. It would be a shame if a similar level of co-ordination couldnt be acheived in this case.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: