Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:28:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Torquay Station  (Read 5173 times)
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« on: January 25, 2021, 20:59:16 »

Not sure where to put this.

Torbay planning portal today has plans for lifts to be installed within the existing stairwell towers.

https://www.torbay.gov.uk/newpublicaccess/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QCKNG3QIHOE00&activeTab=summary
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 23:39:09 »

I had hoped that had been quietly forgotten. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:15:08 by RichardB » Logged
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 06:00:25 »

Torquay station by Robert, on Flickr

Third largest town in Devon, behind Plymouth and Exeter,  soon to be a three station town. Edginswell plans changed to include lifts instead of ramps. It benefits mothers with prams as well as the usual suspects, elderly and disabled.

Half a million passengers a year, grade II listed. Would benefit those passengers who park their car on platform 2 side (free) or bus passengers on platform 1 side.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:14:39 by REVUpminster » Logged
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 09:23:41 »

Third largest town in Devon, behind Plymouth and Exeter,  soon to be a three station town. Edginswell plans changed to include lifts instead of ramps. It benefits mothers with prams as well as the usual suspects, elderly and disabled.

Half a million passengers a year, grade II listed. Would benefit those passengers who park their car on platform 2 side (free) or bus passengers on platform 1 side.

I of course agree about the importance of Torquay but there is already level access to both platforms and it is easy to drop off and pick up by car on both sides.  Anyway, it's happening now.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 11:01:02 »

Looking at the plans (including 11 pages dealing with bats - though "no bats were actually seen roosting or commuting") they look in keeping.   Torquay is not the only station with good level access on both sides, but a step-only footbridge.  Near to where I live, Trowbridge is the same; you can get round - but quite a walk - on the level outside the station and over the nearby road bridge. 

Issues we have at Trowbridge:

1. People changing trains headed on journeys such as
- Melksham to Bradford-on-Avon, Bath Spa, Keynsham, Bristol Temple Meads
- Bradford-on-Avon to Melksham, Chippenham and Swindon
have to cross the bridge and if they are unable to or have prams, luggage, etc, can be an issue.

2. Anyone who's wheelchair bound and drives themselves to the station has (at one end or other of their day) a long way to wheel themselves round.

3. Getting a taxi when arriving from the south if you are not nimble can be a bit of a struggle

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51:50 »

The difference between Trowbridge and Torquay is that people do not regularly change trains at Torquay. There is certainly a case for improved facilities at Trowbridge but not so much, in my opinion, at Torquay

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:56:20 »

The difference between Trowbridge and Torquay is that people do not regularly change trains at Torquay. There is certainly a case for improved facilities at Trowbridge but not so much, in my opinion, at Torquay

But at Torquay the entrance / exit to and from the beach area is on the opposite side of the station to anyone travelling North, so there will be hundreds of people going across the station in peak summer time
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 14:11:15 »

The lifts are not going to shift many of those hundreds.  We should not forget that there is a step free access to the up platform using the adjacent road overbridge which has a footway.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 10:19:32 »

torquay roads by Robert, on Flickr

It is still quite a walk for someone pushing a wheelchair or pram or luggage and the slope is not as gentle as it looks.

I suspect this is to do with People of Reduced Mobility rules. Maybe  Paignton which is busier can get away with no lifts as all trains depart, but not terminate, from platform 2.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:33 »

Just to go slightly off-topic. The photos bring back memories. In the 1950s we lived in Hennapyn Road and one can just see its beginning in the aerial view. I used to walk down to the station with my Ian Allan locomotive books.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 12:40:59 »

The lifts are not going to shift many of those hundreds.  We should not forget that there is a step free access to the up platform using the adjacent road overbridge which has a footway.

Obviously, but it is about assisting those that need the lift
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 13:01:48 »

Looking "the other way" ... how much traffic do you want / could a lift handle?   It might be only a very small percentage of passengers, but if the passenger flow is big enough ...

A search - and this may be out of date - gave me the following underground stations which are "lifts only" although they all (surely) have emergency stairs too.  Not sure where I'm going with this - apart for suggesting that lifts can and could handle considerable traffic.  I suspect Covent Garden might be the busiest, though I have used Lancaster Gate and Queensway at some quite busy times!

Belsize Park
Borough
Caledonian Road
Chalk Farm
Covent Garden
Edgware Road (Bakerloo line)
Elephant and Castle
Gloucester Road (Piccadilly line)
Goodge Street
Hampstead
Holland Park
Holloway Road
Kennington
Lambeth North
Lancaster Gate
Mornington Crescent
Queensway
Regents Park
Russell Square
Tufnell Park

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 13:52:48 »

The Underground lifts at those stations above are far bigger than anything GWR (Great Western Railway) has or needs at it's stations. All those stations have stairs. Torquay, Edginswell, Dawlish will get lifts like the Docklands Light Railway or the smaller lifts at stations like Waterloo, Canary Wharf. where there are escalators
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 17:19:39 »

Always used the stairs at Lancaster gate in the past. Last time I was there in 2019 they have stopped that exept in emergency.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 09:40:45 »

Torbay approved the plans on 1 April 2021. 2 public objections, none from Historic England.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: