Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:57:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Take the bus (or train) for you vaccination appointment  (Read 5623 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 16:30:12 »

I got my letter on Thursday 4th February, the middle week of the announced three-week slot for cohort 4 (70-75 plus clinically extremely vulnerable), and pretty much what I expected. It said I had a choice of waiting for my GPs to phone me, and was still thinking about whether to wait or try to book on line when I got that call the next day. I was offered a slot at 5:04 on the following Monday; I was told they had reduced slots from 5 to 4 minutes because us "younger ones" were quicker and more agile!

That worked fine, other than there being a queue outside the centre in Wokingham - and it was still snowing slightly. No-one seemed too miserable, though, because the queue moved fast enough at two a minute; and of course that means any slight mismatch in the rates of joining and being admitted can make the queue grow too.

I was also rather thrown by being injected standing up, adding an extra complication to finding the bare shoulder I had wrapped in many layers before going out. Even more so it made rewrapping said shoulder while walking away tricky, and while marshals were numerous on the way in there were none to be seen on the way out. So that, poor signage of the exit, and the fact I was already thinking ahead to making a quick dash into Waitrose (next door) meant I forgot I was supposed to sit on one of their chairs for 15 minutes. Mind you, I don't recall ever having a reaction to a vaccine, and had none to this (Oxford/AstraZeneca) one.

My sister, in Reading, was expecting much the same for cohort 5, and got the same letter I did before its official start on 15th February. However, on the day before, it was announced that the remainder of cohort 6 ( 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions) was being put in the same slot and GPs were doing those as a priority. The 65-70s were expected to book on line for the major centres, and those without cars would use public transport.

I saw some comments around then that the organisers were surprised how many 70-80s preferred to wait for their surgery to call. They expected those with cars to mostly prefer to use them to go to a major centre, keeping warm and avoiding any problems with walking. My sister (and I suspect many others), having spent the last year avoiding public transport, and not having a car, was unimpressed. And I wasn't keen to take her by car (despite being a support bubble) if it meant being away from the nearest known toilet for well over an hour.

And last week there was a news item that Berkshire was lagging in its vaccination rate, with someone a bit official saying they would need more vaccines and to persuade the hesitant. No mention of the most obvious reason, which was that the Reading centre (Madejski) first announced as opening in January didn't actually start until 22nd February (bookings available from 24th). Even then it was hard to get a slot there, due to the backlog, so most offers were for the other "nearby" ones at Slough, Basingstoke, or Oxford. The pharmacy centre at Marlow was also available more than you might expect - possible because there were few takers from longer distances.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks things settled down and at the start of March it was possible to book at the Madejski for the 11th. Now, when the stadium opened its car park was used for an RBC(resolve) park and ride as well. There were also specific buses to the RBH for hospital staff and patients, which I attempted to use (to avoid driving back from the eye clinic after cyclopeagia and dilation).  The hospital buses didn't last long, and RBC dropped this park and ride after the Mereoak one (further out on the A33) opened in 2015. Of course it's still listed on a lot of sites as a functioning P&R (Park and Ride).

So, can you get out to the Madejski by bus? Up to a point yes - get near to there, but not get back! Reading Buses only list match-day buses, and obviously they are not relevant for at least two reasons. RFC do say you are welcome to use their car park gratis outside match days, but don't mention how to find a bus. There are route buses along the A33, and if you get the right stop it's less than half a mile to walk even with B&Q in the way. But those buses don't stop there - or anywhere close - on the way into town.

Then there are the Green Park Greenwave buses, which stop a bit closer but need a bit of research to locate the footpath through to Brook Drive. And the timetable is aimed at getting workers into Green Park and back out, and not so helpful mid-day.  What about buses into the Madejski car park specifically for being vaccinated? Such services exist in some places, but not in Reading - which is a bit odd, given the semi-municipal status of Reading Buses. I've just found a page labelled Wokingham Healthwatch (who?) about going to the Madejski centre, and that has a link to a map of bus stops. It's the Royals' map for match-day buses! I may have to have words with them ...

In the end I did provide a taxi service, and on leaving she was asked if she had come by car and was told to sit in the car for the 15-minute observation period. But that Wokingham Healthwatch site says once you've been done you're free to go - by implication even if driving. Has the 15-minute wait been officially dropped?
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 16:59:51 »

Both my wife and I were asked if we were driving and told to wait for 15 minutes if so, but to leave immediately if we were a passenger.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 17:40:15 »

In Reading groups of GPs (Primary Care Networks if your are into the current jargon) have some good set-ups round town which have been working well.

I have just had my second jab cancelled to be re-booked later. Presumably the NHS was a bit too keen and didn't do the correct gap between first and second jabs for its staff. So I will not be going to Wokingham Hospital tomorrow as expected.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 21:23:50 »

Had my second injection of government compliance/Microsoft nanobots yesterday. Tongue

And exactly the same reaction as the first dose. Been unwell since last night with hot and cold flushes, muscle aches, shakes and a thumping headache.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 07:28:51 »

Had my second injection of government compliance/Microsoft nanobots yesterday. Tongue

And exactly the same reaction as the first dose. Been unwell since last night with hot and cold flushes, muscle aches, shakes and a thumping headache.

Had my second jab on Tuesday (Pfizer), I was fine after the first one, but this time I developed a bit of a headache and was a bit shivery - a paracetamol and half a bottle of red wine (not Port!) seemed to sort me out though. Must have been the Bordeaux variant.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 09:38:42 »

Had my second jab 2 weeks ago (AZ).  No side effects.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: