Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:38:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: "Climate campaigners should block road-building not HS2"  (Read 23290 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2021, 11:04:48 »

Huge waste of fuel in the retail and leisure sectors. Thinking in particular of permanently open shop doorways and the popularity of outdoor heating.

This one's easy. Buy electric outdoor heaters, and switch to a green tariff. You get a picture of a wind turbine on the bill, and the knowledge that the more you use, the better the world is.

Or alternatively, wear a vest.

Vests are VERY last century and are only worn by a few old farts like me. The young might wear a "base layer" but only for outdoor sports, not for going shopping or to the pub.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2021, 11:21:06 »

Vests are VERY last century and are only worn by a few old farts like me. The young might wear a "base layer" but only for outdoor sports, not for going shopping or to the pub.

The young aren't the ones who tend to feel the cold the worst.

I have vests down as one of the items that will make a comeback during this decade for those who are reaching the age where wearing one will help. Though they may need an inspired advertising campaign for that to happen.

Edit: Fixed quotes - RS
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:40:21 by Red Squirrel » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2021, 11:40:28 »

Huge waste of fuel in the retail and leisure sectors. Thinking in particular of permanently open shop doorways and the popularity of outdoor heating.

This one's easy. Buy electric outdoor heaters, and switch to a green tariff. You get a picture of a wind turbine on the bill, and the knowledge that the more you use, the better the world is.

Or alternatively, wear a vest.

What - with a backless, strapless cocktail dress?  Grin

It's never done me any harm.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2021, 12:53:07 »

I have vests down as one of the items that will make a comeback during this decade for those who are reaching the age where wearing one will help. Though they may need an inspired advertising campaign for that to happen.

Calling old things by new names is often a way to make them appeal to a demographic to which they were previously unattractive. Well known examples include "lucozade" and "isotonic sports energy drink".

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2021, 13:16:37 »

Well known examples include "lucozade" and "isotonic sports energy drink".

Or 'trolley' and 'at seat service'.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2021, 15:42:45 »

IME (in my experience) it is not easy to find proper short sleeved mens vests these days. Most so called short sleeved vests are in fact T-shirts and not very suitable to wear as an under garment. I purchased proper vests from a German supplier via fleabay.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 16:02:30 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2021, 19:58:40 »

I know we get the odd bit of thread drift from time to time, but male lingerie has to be one of the more esoteric (not erotic) diversions.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2021, 20:42:38 »

I know we get the odd bit of thread drift from time to time, but male lingerie has to be one of the more esoteric (not erotic) diversions.

My image of Broadgage as a rough, tough, manly type, ripping a huge steak apart & quaffing several bottles of Port at a single sitting has taken a blow from which I doubt it'll ever recover, knowing now as I do that underneath that mean exterior sits delicate Teutonic hosiery.

We can only pray, in line with his principles, that it wasn't imported by air?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2021, 21:26:40 »

My image of Broadgage as a rough, tough, manly type, ripping a huge steak apart & quaffing several bottles of Port at a single sitting
Not to mention siphoning off several gallons of petrol and diesel with his bare teeth, regurgitating them from his ironclad stomach into jerry cans beaten from old Fray Bentos cans with sticks.

has taken a blow from which I doubt it'll ever recover, knowing now as I do that underneath that mean exterior sits delicate Teutonic hosiery.

Surely not. I mean, Airtex isn't a German brand...

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2021, 21:34:32 »

If the garments were flowen in, by an experimental use of food waste to fuel the aircraft, surely:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56408603

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2021, 21:37:24 »

My image of Broadgage as a rough, tough, manly type, ripping a huge steak apart & quaffing several bottles of Port at a single sitting has taken a blow from which I doubt it'll ever recover, knowing now as I do that underneath that mean exterior sits delicate Teutonic hosiery.

Young sir, you are again prone to slight exaggeration.
I am only somewhat tough, somewhat manly, and not particularly rough.
My dimensions could be best described as "sufficient".
I certainly enjoy Port and would be very surprised if this is imported by air, cargo ship more likely.
I also enjoy fillet steak and roast beef, these are produced locally with no question of air transport.

The vests purchased would not be described as either lingerie, or as delicate.
https://www.hermko.de/hermko-3847-3er-pack-herren-extralanges-kurzarm-shirt-10cm-unterhemd-mit-1-4-arm-aus-100-baumwolle/a-38473 These are the ones, extra long as I am tall as well of sufficient girth.
Simple, plain white all cotton, suitable for everyday use. And NOT T-shirts.
I know not what transport mode was used, but they took weeks to get here which suggests not air.

I heat my home largely with locally produced logs, reasonably green. Also off peak electricity which is greener as well as cheaper than day rate electricity. I use some paraffin which is not green, but only about 20 liters a year.
I am about to try some "eco coal" a patent smokeless fuel that is made largely from olive stones, an unavoidable by product of the olive oil industry.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2021, 05:28:13 »

Your desire to the 'save the planet' — laudable though it certainly is — has now plunged a whole population into poverty.

The choice, it seems, is: Do we risk plunging the population into poverty, or just give up and have no population at all? We've got just under 9 years to decide.

I agree, the situation is serious and requires action to substantialy reduce fossil fuel use. Actual physical reductions, not trading, offsetting, or exporting the fuel use.
There is not the time to agonise over which industries (such as airlines) or which countries (such as those whose main income is from fossil fuels) will be adversely affected.

If action is not taken, then many coastal cities, and entire low lying nations are at risk from rising sea levels. Many other places are at risk from extreme weather destroying lives and property.
Actions should include discouraging flying and driving, and encouraging rail transport, preferably electric.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2022, 16:25:39 »

I've been greatly surprised by the lack of coverage of Saturday's attack on a Lafarge cement works near Marseiile (Bouc-Bel-Air). Even in France it has not had that much national coverage, and so far the only English language article I can find is Breitbart News!

But this does represent a significant step up in the level of damage - and cost - caused by such events. The organisers (an ad-hoc grouping) claimed 200 activists took part, and of course made a video of themselves. The PPE they wore makes this look like a third-rate sci-fi movie, but it does bear out what they say they did. That included taking an axe to electrical cables and equipment cabinets, sacking offices, and setting fire to large vehicles, and the more symbolic emptying cement on the ground and tagging the walls. It looks to me like millions in cost terms, plus loss of output.

This particular plant does raise more environmental issues than just those inherent in making cement at all, as it burns old tyres for fuel. Lafarge will say they are doing a service in getting rid of them and can do it more cleanly, and they are not fossil fuel. But sulphur emissions are also above the usual limit because the rock they roast contains a lot, so by strict application of the rules it ought not to be operating.

More pictures at actu.fr.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2022, 18:20:16 »

Meanwhile, heading back towards HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)):

The LARGEST Earth Friendly Concrete (EFC) Pour in UK (United Kingdom) to Date | London Euston, HS2 | John F Hunt

Working for HS2’s station Construction Partner, Mace Dragados joint venture (MDJV), John F Hunt Ltd completed the 232m3 concrete pour in early September.

Supplied by Capital Concrete, our use of the innovative, green ‘Earth Friendly Concrete’ reduces the amount of carbon embedded into the concrete, saving over 76t of CO2 overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1AEL0XM8Ws

Details of this product are, I presume, here: https://earthfriendlyconcrete.com/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2022, 14:29:58 »

Hardened criminals?

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: