Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:32:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: I would very much like to attend the Coffee Shop's AGM (Annual General Meeting) if ...  (Voting closed: February 17, 2021, 11:18:28)
... it was run in late August 2021 - 10 (4.8%)
... it was run in late September - 9 (4.3%)
... it was run in late October - 11 (5.3%)
... it was run in late November - 10 (4.8%)
... it was run on a weekday - 9 (4.3%)
... it was run on a Saturday - 16 (7.7%)
... it was run on a Sunday - 9 (4.3%)
... it was run morning - 9 (4.3%)
... it was run afternoon - 17 (8.1%)
... it was run evening - 5 (2.4%)
None of the dates/times is suitable - 0 (0%)
... it took place in the far West - 4 (1.9%)
... it took place in Exmouth - 6 (2.9%)
... it took place in Taunton - 8 (3.8%)
... it took place in the Bristol Area - 10 (4.8%)
... it took place in Didcot - 12 (5.7%)
... it took place on Zoom - 16 (7.7%)
None of these places is suitable - 0 (0%)
... it was JUST an AGM (Annual General Meeting) - 9 (4.3%)
... it included a Keynote Speaker - 12 (5.7%)
... it offered networking opportunities - 9 (4.3%)
... it linked to a visit / trip / special journey - 10 (4.8%)
I am a Coffee Shop member but will not attend the AGM (Annual General Meeting) in 2021 - 8 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Shop Forum AGM 2021 - date / time / location poll  (Read 4822 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 03, 2021, 11:18:28 »

We don't yet know whether we'll be able to hold an in-real-life AGM (Annual General Meeting) for the Coffee Shop this year, but chatting among the moderators we're looking forward to work out provisionally what might and might not work for members if we can.

As I write - February 2021 - we're in The Doldrums of a lockdown, and in the thick fog of not being able to see what's ahead of us once a breeze blows into our sails and lets us travel again.  Some of us have had little motivation to look ahead, waiting for things to return, others have taken advantage of the lack of leisure and family visit time to think and plan as best we can against all the unknowns.  All of us have found the last year life-changing and challenging, and on that base we need to be getting thoughts and ideas for the Coffee Shop together.  "If it ain't bust, don't fix it", but yet not overlooking ideas and opportunities. You'll find other threads now and coming along in our "Frequent Posters" area that will take this forward.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:13:48 »

Bump!

Can I encourage all logged in members over this weekend to please vote in our AGM (Annual General Meeting) poll at http://www.passenger.chat/24621 , even if your vote is "I will not be attending".   I do appreciate that this may be as much fun as voting for a police and crime commissioner, with a low turnout, but I would appreciate your vote however it goes.

Lastest forum stats ... from http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/about.html ...
Members logged in, last 8, 24 hours - 33, 102
Members, threads, posts - 2436, 21869, 298783

Thanks!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:25 »

Our AGM (Annual General Meeting) poll at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=24621 - closes in 2 days.  Looking for answers to three questions
* When and where should we run it?
* What (if anything) should we run alongside it?
* Would you like to come?

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 16:44:00 »

I would hope to attend if it is held in Taunton, less likely if held elsewhere.
Any day of the week is fine by me, but Saturday probably suits most others.

It would IMHO (in my humble opinion) be ideal if a GWR (Great Western Railway) representative could attend and answer questions. If so I promise not to ask excessive questions about catering, and not to call IETs (Intercity Express Train) rude names.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 12:38:56 »

Many thanks for your votes.   Correlating the answers in chunks:

I would very much like to attend the Coffee Shop's AGM (Annual General Meeting) if ...
... it was run in late August 2021   - 10
... it was run in late September   - 9
... it was run in late October   - 11
... it was run in late November   - 10

I would very much like to attend the Coffee Shop's AGM if ...
... it was run on a weekday   - 9
... it was run on a Saturday   - 16
... it was run on a Sunday   - 9

... it was run morning   - 9
... it was run afternoon   - 17
... it was run evening   - 5

... it took place in the far West   - 4
... it took place in Exmouth   - 6
... it took place in Taunton   - 8
... it took place in the Bristol Area   - 10
... it took place in Didcot   - 12
... it took place on Zoom   - 16

I am a Coffee Shop member but will not attend the AGM in 2021   - 8

29 members voted, of whom 21 would attend with the right mix. 16 out of 21 can attend on a Saturday, 17 out of 21 in an afternoon, 12 out of the 21 in Didcot and/or 16 out of 21 on Zoom.  Initial logic, then, suggests Saturday 23rd October or Saturday 30th October in Didcot (where I would initially look back to the venue we used there once before) looking to live stream on Zoom.

The survey does not give me any correlation data though - it is possible (though statistically unlikely) that the 12 who voted for Didcot includes every one of the five who could not attend on a Saturday, and from the remaining 7 none could make October.

... it was JUST an AGM   - 9
... it included a Keynote Speaker   - 12
... it offered networking opportunities   - 9
... it linked to a visit / trip / special journey   - 10

There will - almost automatically - be networking opportunities if we're able to meet up "in real life" and it feels obvious to look at timing in such a way that people who wish could visit the Didcot Railway Centre. There's also the potentially excellent opportunity to attact a keynote speaker with a venue in that area.

We are looking 8 months ahead and no major events as far as I can see - from ((here))

23 October 2021 United Kingdom Holidays & Popular Observances
Mole Day

23 October 2021 Popular Holidays & Observances Worldwide
1956 Revolution Memorial Day (Os Forradalom) - Hungary
Cox Plate Day - Australia
Mole Day - United States
1956 Revolution Memorial Day - Rest Day (Nemzeti ünnep - Pihenőnap) - Hungary
Day of Advertisement industry Workers (День работников рекламы) - Russia
Karaka Chaturthi / Karva Chauth (कर्क चतुर्थी) - India

30 October 2021 United Kingdom Holidays & Popular Observances
There are no major holidays or observances in the UK for this date.

30 October 2021 Popular Holidays & Observances Worldwide
National Candy Corn Day - United States
National Trick or Treat Day - United States
Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repressions (День памяти жертв политических репрессий) - Russia
That quote should be the ultimate test of the forum's extended character use!

Suggestion - to pencil in one of those two dates (moderator / admin team chat as to which over the next week or so), look at booking venue taking care to ensure we have a fallback if there are unexpected lockdown or other issues, look at a keynote speaker provisionally too.  Final thoughts / decisions when the May timetable is out or perhaps a bit later.

I am aware of the fare / routing issues from Taunton and beyond and can investigate options, but we need to note that we're not looking at a franchise operator really - more at a management contractor - and such things may be very quickly ruled out as impractical. But we can ask - and that might help people who really would prefer an AGM in the Western Peninsular zone too.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 12:42:27 »

Day of Advertisement industry Workers (День работников рекламы) - Russia
Karaka Chaturthi / Karva Chauth (कर्क चतुर्थी) - India
That quote should be the ultimate test of the forum's extended character use!

By George, I think he may have fixed it!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 14:44:15 »

I doubt that I would travel to Didcot, that however should not be taken as any criticism of the provisional plan to hold the meeting at Didcot.
Pleasing the majority should be the priority, not planning to suit me.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 08:40:08 »

I doubt that I would travel to Didcot, that however should not be taken as any criticism of the provisional plan to hold the meeting at Didcot.
Pleasing the majority should be the priority, not planning to suit me.
Might also rule me out, as train times up to April showing a five and half hour trip each way.
Also puzzled as would have thought a visit to the Railway Centre is a good half day or more?
Guessing the Centre visit would be in the morning with the AGM (Annual General Meeting) in the afternoon.
100% sure Mrs GBM wouldn't want an overnight stay at somewhere nearby whilst I 'shed-bash' all day Saturday.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 08:06:50 »

We have an issue with any IRL (in real life) meeting for such a geographically spread group.  21 voters will attend in the right circumstances but only 12 of those in Didcot and, yes, that looses us 9.  Problem is that when we look to do better - i.e. at different venues - we end up doing worse.

No rush over a few days or even a couple of weeks ... but looking at it.  The team will likely come up with something - perhaps further vote options. Any comments / ideas here (or by message) gratefully read.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 13:35:25 »

I would favour Taunton, partly self interest I know, but it does have the merit of reasonable train services to most other parts of GWR (Great Western Railway) land.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 18:00:27 »

I would favour Taunton, partly self interest I know, but it does have the merit of reasonable train services to most other parts of GWR (Great Western Railway) land.

To be fair, you could say the same of Bristol, Westbury, Swindon, Reading, Didcot, Exeter...

Personally I will be delighted if it is possible to travel anywhere! But I wonder if it might be possible to have some sort of 'hybrid' setup where those who can attend in person do so, whilst those who can't attend via Zoom?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 18:24:01 »

I wonder if it might be possible to have some sort of 'hybrid' setup where those who can attend in person do so, whilst those who can't attend via Zoom?

Totally yes - in fact YES or even YES - already planning with that in mind.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: