Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:59:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: George Lane Bridge Wyre Piddle  (Read 17083 times)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2021, 17:13:21 »

Your intrepid reporter has been out today to look at the bridge that is to be replaced in May.

This picture is looking south twards the villege centre. One of the problems is that the wall on the west side is leaning in.

Another one is the beams are badley rusted.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 20:19:29 »

It's hardly pretty but there's something quite satisfying about that bridge (apart from the state it's in); it's a railway bridge over a muddy minor road that looks exactly like a railway bridge over a muddy minor road.  Smiley

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 21:33:20 »

Walked out that way Yesterday the 26th of April and the contractors have just statrted preparing the site for their compound.
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 18:33:59 »

I travelled on the line today for the first time in several months and I discovered there is a speed restriction north of Evesham, just a short distance past where the single track begins. Is this bridge replacement the cause of it or is that something else?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 18:44:59 »

That’s due to the condition of the track over Charlton level crossing, so not related to bridge works.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 20:21:17 »

Over many, many years, there's just been too much piddle against the west brick wall, and too much piddle from toilets on the trains travelling above.

That's why wyre now having to replace that bridge.

CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 17:11:42 »

Your Intrepid reporter has walked 12 miles today to bring the Coffee shop up to date on the works in progress between Evesham and Pershore.

First of all the main Job at George lane Wyre Piddle. The new bridge has been lifted into place by a massive King lifting crane. Now they have to rebuild the embankments this will require 40,000 tons of stone I am told.

Then a distant view of the crane also showing the temporary road constructed to site.

The second job is rebuilding or replacing the small span on the Evesham side of the river Avon bridge at Fladbury. The main bridge was replaced in the 50s/60s but this small span that allows the farmer to access the fields beyond the bridge was left at that time.

A view of the Fladbury job from the road bridge in Fladbury village west of the Avon.

There is also an RRV (Road Rail Vehicle) access point at the site of Fladbury Station west of the road bridge.

A smaller job is Trackbed repairs at Sidings lane crossing Charlton.

There is a temporary access road from Sidings lane to the river bridge site.

After all this walking your reporter had to adjourn to the Gardeners arms in Charlton for Sausage and chips. All I need to do now is find out how to submit my lunch expenses claim to the Coffee shop.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 11:36:33 »

Your Intrepid reporter has walked 12 miles today to bring the Coffee shop up to date on the works in progress between Evesham and Pershore.

Your 12-mile walk was probably faster than the RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) route via Honeybourne. I applaud GWR (Great Western Railway) for their new scenic tour of the Cotswolds, but it would be nice if some Honeybourne passengers actually used it so that the rest of us felt better about the detour inflicted on us...
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 11:55:41 »

I just wish GWR (Great Western Railway) was running more of the direct services from Worcester via the Golden Valley line. Currently we have 2 early morning and 1 late evening. It is possible to travel both ways direct from Worcester to Paddington avoiding the RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) but it would be a long day. I assume lack of drivers with route awareness is the reason why?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 13:02:04 »

I just wish GWR (Great Western Railway) was running more of the direct services from Worcester via the Golden Valley line. Currently we have 2 early morning and 1 late evening. It is possible to travel both ways direct from Worcester to Paddington avoiding the RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) but it would be a long day. I assume lack of drivers with route awareness is the reason why?

What are connections like from London - Cheltenham Spa trains into Bristol - Gloucester - Worcester trains, and vice versa? Aren't there "via Evesham" prices which might put people off the more expensive "Any Permitted"?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bleeder4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 13:07:43 »

What are connections like from London - Cheltenham Spa trains into Bristol - Gloucester - Worcester trains, and vice versa? Aren't there "via Evesham" prices which might put people off the more expensive "Any Permitted"?
My assumption is that "Via Evesham" tickets from Worcester are being accepted on the direct trains via the Golden Valley line for the duration of the line blockade. It would be a pretty poor show from GWR (Great Western Railway) if that wasn't the case!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 13:50:43 »

My assumption is that "Via Evesham" tickets from Worcester are being accepted on the direct trains via the Golden Valley line for the duration of the line blockade. It would be a pretty poor show from GWR (Great Western Railway) if that wasn't the case!

for Friday this week ... from GWR's ticket sale web site:
Anytime Single 06:24 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains), 09:24 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - £106.10 (via New Street and Euston)
Anytime Day Single 07:30 WOS, 09:59 PAD - £94.80 (direct train via Kemble)
Anytime Day Single 08:04 WOS, 11:24 PAD - £45.80 (bus and then train via Evesham)

At the time of writing, Advance fares on offer at £44.80 on the direct train via Kemble, and at £44.10 on bus-train via Evesham

Whether Revenue Protection and/or Train Manager would sanction you for using a "via Evesham" ticket and pursue the matter right through the system is doubtful;  it really wouldn't look good in the papers ... but technically you would be travelling without a valid ticket for the route you were taking.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 15:32:45 »

Whether Revenue Protection and/or Train Manager would sanction you for using a "via Evesham" ticket and pursue the matter right through the system is doubtful;  it really wouldn't look good in the papers ... but technically you would be travelling without a valid ticket for the route you were taking.

From the Man in Seat 61 on routeing and tickets:-

But don't worry, under the National Rail Conditions of Carriage you're entitled to travel on a different route from the one shown on your ticket (assuming it's not a train-specific Advance ticket, of course) on payment of a 'change of route' excess fare.  This is the difference, if any, between the fare paid for the original route and the cheapest walk-up ticket valid for the train & route now being taken.

So I don't think technically one is ticketless. Same as travelling on a peak train with an off-peak ticket.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 15:42:44 »

It looks like there isn't an any permitted fare from Worcester Stns to London Terminals. The choice seems to be:
  • via Evesham (SOR £91.60)
  • WMR & LNR Only (ADT £105.00)
  • Via H Wyc & Birm (SOR £127.20)
  • Evesham/Stroud (SOR £189.60)
  • via Birmingham (SOR £206.20)
Does this mean that it's forbidden to go one way via Birmingham and the other via Evesham/Stroud?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 17:16:55 »

Does this mean that it's forbidden to go one way via Birmingham and the other via Evesham/Stroud?

No - it means you need to buy single tickets each way rather than a return. On most (all?) of the fares quoted, the SOR is twice the SOS anyway.

So I don't think technically one is ticketless. Same as travelling on a peak train with an off-peak ticket.

Agreed - liable to be charged a significant amount - as I read it, not just the difference in fares but a whole new fare?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: