09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:17:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling Stock discussion - Cardiff to Portsmouth  (Read 19316 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 20:05:06 »

"The new IETs (Intercity Express Train) will provide greatly increased capacity, not only on the routes served by the new trains, but also by freeing up existing stock for use on other routes"

Jam tomorrow.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2022, 14:22:04 »

Today, I travelled by train for the first time since Covid - WMN» (Warminster - next trains) to SAL and return. By chance, I sampled both the "old" and the "new" within a couple of hours. I have to say that absolutely nothing seems to have been to done to try and improve the "experience" for the passenger since I last travelled 2 years ago.

First leg was in a 4 car (2 X 165) train. This is best described as shabby in the extreme, the seats were ingrained with dirt and many of the cushion corners were actually worn through, the vinyl flooring was covered in dirty ingrained muddy footprints. It all made the notice on Warminster station about all the extra cleaning being carried out to be......shall we say...optimistic ! I sat in a 2 + 2 section of the train, but of course the seats were the standard, uncomfortable, 165/6 narrow ones.
The return was also in a 4 car (2 X 158). It was refurbished internally, comfortable 2 + 2 seating throughout and sparkling clean. It may have been where I was sitting but it was noticeably quieter inside than the 165. However, the outside was pretty grubby, with the fog outside as well, I couldn't see a great deal. I have long wondered if GWR (Great Western Railway) actually have a carriage wash, perhaps SWR» (South Western Railway - about) could earn some money by offering to wash their rolling stock as it passes through Salisbury ?.

Again, it prompts me to ask (myself, as no one in GWR seems to listen............ or care) just who thought that 165/166s were an anywhere near suitable replacement for the 158s. The 158s had one problem - they weren't long enough. The 165/6s are worn out and filthy dirty, have (in the main) 2 + 3 seating and do not offer a through corridor. They are grossly unsuitable for a cross country service of 3.5 to 4 hrs duration. They were designed for commuter work with runs of an hour or so. GWR's "excuse" about offering "more seats" sounds as unconvincing as someone saying "it wasn't a party".

If any non-railway person had travelled with me to today, they would have thought I was barking mad if I were then to have told them which of today's trains was actually being replaced by which !!

I have serious doubts about my future rail travels, my 3 year Railcard runs out in May (2 wasted years on that - no refund !!), shall I renew it........................?

PS: I have just ordered a new Fiesta ......................
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2022, 14:44:59 »

First leg was in a 4 car (2 X 165) train. This is best described as shabby in the extreme, the seats were ingrained with dirt and many of the cushion corners were actually worn through, the vinyl flooring was covered in dirty ingrained muddy footprints. It all made the notice on Warminster station about all the extra cleaning being carried out to be......shall we say...optimistic ! I sat in a 2 + 2 section of the train, but of course the seats were the standard, uncomfortable, 165/6 narrow ones.

The Turbo fleet is currently in the process of being refurbished with almost 'as new' interiors and they look very nice internally, though no alterations to the seating layout have been made for reasons previously discussed.  The 2-car 165s are being done first, 118, 122, 123 and 126 have been completed.  119 is currently at Wolverton.

The extra cleaning is focussed on 'touch point' cleaning - i.e. grab handles, door buttons and so on which passengers touch and where there is a small chance the virus might be lurking.  It's quite hard to keep flooring clean this time of year, especially if anti-ice treatments have been applied to platforms as they would have been over the last few nights.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2022, 18:43:45 »

Asked to check likely conditions for a fragile traveller, looking at Salisbury today, 5 out of 14 services before 6:30pm  between Portsmouth and Cardiff are shown as 2 carriages, 3 are 5 carriages and the remainder, 3 carriages. One of the two carriage services originated at Brighton. One of the three carriage service intended to start from Brighton but ran to and from Southampton. A twitternaut has posted a photo of a very full service.

https://twitter.com/ClaireWrightInd/status/1517532703008165890

Is the intention, on these services, to now provide three carriages or five? The fragile traveller may have the choice of travelling via Southampton or via Dorchester (they're travelling Bath to Poole and back) but not sure if that option may be better or not - and the online planner has suggested a change at 'Upwey'...

Mark
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2022, 22:18:59 »

Upwey requires changing platforms over a footbridge. If time allows better to go to Weymouth.
GWR (Great Western Railway) planner gives Weymouth or Dorchester West, depending on the service, though Dorchester West to South is a 15 minute walk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 22:24:08 by bradshaw » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2022, 05:54:59 »

Upwey requires changing platforms over a footbridge. If time allows better to go to Weymouth.
GWR (Great Western Railway) planner gives Weymouth or Dorchester West, depending on the service, though Dorchester West to South is a 15 minute walk

What about ticket validity via Weymouth though.  An easement allow doubling back if you're travelling from Branksome or east thereof to Maiden Newton or north thereof, but does not appear to include Poole (the original question) nor intermediate stations between there and Dorchester

300356 Routeing Point
Customers travelling from Bournemouth or Branksome via Dorchester West may travel via Weymouth. This easement applies in both directions.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2022, 18:01:21 »

It has been confirmed that the removal of the Brighton GWR (Great Western Railway) services will mean a unit that’s freed up will be used to strengthen one of the existing PMH<>CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) diagrams from the timetable change.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2022, 15:35:10 »

This, reported in the Salisbury Journal as "making this change means GWR (Great Western Railway) can strengthen the busy, hourly Cardiff to Portsmouth *service* to five carriages."

Also, the phrase we've seen before: "to avoid duplication of services" and finally "The operator says very few people make the full journey from the Gloucester area where the services start" - which itself begs a couple of questions.

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/20133673.great-western-railway-launches-railway-summer-timetable/

Good photos from Twitter record the last day headboards, which give the start date for the service as long ago as nineteen thirty. I'm trying to recall where they ran - Brighton to Penzance? Brighton to Cardiff?

https://twitter.com/becciroake/status/1525021597425446917

Having imagined that given the train service along the south coast, quality connections would be available in place of the through trains, checking the timetables, while the alternative to the morning train is... ok... the replacements for the 17:00 from Brighton are all over the place, with the choice between a 16:30 involving a 50 minute wait at Southampton (can't think what that reminds me of)  or an 18:00, quick change at Fratton but still 25 minutes slower to e.g. Bath Spa.

Mark
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2022, 20:51:47 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the available “unit per day” no longer heading off to Brighton does very little except replace the unit written off in the Salisbury accident.  Just the usual spin?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2022, 21:00:06 »

Having imagined that given the train service along the south coast, quality connections would be available in place of the through trains, checking the timetables, while the alternative to the morning train is... ok... the replacements for the 17:00 from Brighton are all over the place, with the choice between a 16:30 involving a 50 minute wait at Southampton (can't think what that reminds me of)  or an 18:00, quick change at Fratton but still 25 minutes slower to e.g. Bath Spa.
I had a 30 minute connection at Southampton this morning and believe me that was more than the time I wanted to spend there. Awful station.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2022, 21:59:29 »

I had a 30 minute connection at Southampton this morning and believe me that was more than the time I wanted to spend there. Awful station.

I can think of worse (Newport and Severn Tunnel Junction both stick in the mind) - perhaps we should have a poll.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: