Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:07:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think the line from Cardiff-Swansea should be electrified for the IETs (Intercity Express Train)?  (Voting closed: March 01, 2021, 18:41:45)
Yes - 22 (84.6%)
No - 1 (3.8%)
Maybe - 1 (3.8%)
Depends on the cost - 2 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Cardiff to Swansea be electrified?  (Read 13139 times)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 23:22:26 »

Historical analysis suggests you loose between 42% and 46% of through journeys when you replace it with separate services with a change / connection. 

Are there a lot of through journeys between Manchester and Milford Haven (or even most points in between on the route taken)?

Can a case be made for 50 odd miles of electrification for one partly loaded train per hour?

Just a question, not an opinion.

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 08:46:24 »

Historical analysis suggests you loose between 42% and 46% of through journeys when you replace it with separate services with a change / connection. 

Are there a lot of through journeys between Manchester and Milford Haven (or even most points in between on the route taken)?

Can a case be made for 50 odd miles of electrification for one partly loaded train per hour?

Just a question, not an opinion.

OTC

I suspect there are many more sparse branches in countries like Switzerland that are elecrified for one, rather shorter that an IET (Intercity Express Train), train each hour each day.   I don't think that length of line is relevant as electrification costs and gains are both broadly proportional to the length.

Once Cardiff to Swansea is electrified, I would expect it to be more trains though - with Swanline locals running electric too.

But do remember Grayling's theorem that money can be saved by using bi-mode trains and cutting off electrification and the boundary, and Grayling's corollary that once the bi-modes have been bought, the case for electrification beyond is reduced because you are (by that time) running a part-electric route and have taken the gains from the electrified part that would be available to you if you only had single mode trains.

I doubt there are (m)any through journeys Manchester to Milford Haven - however - there are probably a substantial number of journeys across potential service break points (such as Crewe, Shrewsbury, Cardiff and Swansea)

Meanwhile ... from The Construction Index

Contractor Alun Griffiths has begun construction of a new, longer platform 4 at Swansea station is underway, following a month of demolition work to remove the old one.

The new platform will be 260 metres long, 13 metres longer than before, to allow GWR (Great Western Railway)’s new Intercity express trains to stop there.

So that allows a 10 car IET - 26 metres x 10 - right?

Also covered in Ground Engineering Plus.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:06:39 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 09:40:39 »

There might be through journeys from Manchester to Pembroke, both for the ferry and for beachy holidays.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 12:23:15 »

Meanwhile ... from The Construction Index

Contractor Alun Griffiths has begun construction of a new, longer platform 4 at Swansea station is underway, following a month of demolition work to remove the old one.

The new platform will be 260 metres long, 13 metres longer than before, to allow GWR (Great Western Railway)’s new Intercity express trains to stop there.

So that allows a 10 car IET (Intercity Express Train) - 26 metres x 10 - right?

Also covered in Ground Engineering Plus.

You might think that's an awful lot of civil engineering effort just to add 13 m to the end of a perfectly usable platform. You might think it's an even more awful lot of effort when you find out that P4 was already long enough for 263 m long trains as far as Network Rail was concerned (and the other three platforms are longer). However ...

The lengths in the Operational Rules are defined as
The table below shows the maximum length of train that may use each of the platforms at the following passenger stations. All lengths are in metres. The quoted lengths are the usable lengths from ramp to ramp unless specified.
The measurements take no account of the need for signal sighting. Trains longer than the quoted lengths will only be accepted subject to the authority of the Route Director.

And for terminating platforms as at Swansea, the length is specified as being "top of ramp to buffer stops". Which looks a bit contradictory, doesn't it?
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 11:56:54 »

"Investigation of the use of oil-electric sets on trains discloses, however, that for a line with a frequent service, it would appear more economical to take the oil engines off the trains and put them in fixed generating stations supplying electric current to the moving train. This would result in a smaller number of oil engines being required on account of the improved load factor, so that the first cost would be reduced, the efficiency increased, and the weight of the moving train reduced. Conversely, it is evident that where the traffic is light it would pay better to put the oil engine and electric generator on the moving train."

Diagram 1, Appendix 1, p57 shows the running and total cost comparison wrt ton miles per mile per annum.

Weir Report 1931, p11

OTC
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:05:09 by onthecushions » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 12:32:53 »

Diagram 1, Appendix 1, p57 shows the running and total cost comparison wrt ton miles per mile per annum.

Weir Report 1931, p11

OTC

Some good lessons and thoughts, but we should bear in mind that technology has moved on in 90 years and the outcomes may have changed.   Actually I suspect the same conclusions with different data, complicated by the fact that you now have both on one train.

On our member's mirror at http://www.passenger.chat/mirror/MoT_Elec001.pdf .  Original From https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Elec001.pdf at https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Elec001.pdf

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 23:10:56 »

Electrification onwards from Cardiff to Swansea is very much a part of Network Rail's long term, green / carbon zero agenda, and I would be very surprised to find a vote of members here to come up with a "don't do it" outcome. 

[SNIP]

In writing the above, I am not answering "should Cardiff to Swansea be electrified next?" - I look at Chippenham to Bristol Temple Meads, and Didcot to Oxford as top candiates, with Bristol Temple Meads to Bromsgrove and Basingstoke to Reading as also in my thoughts for the most immediate/first candidates in a rolling program.  I am not addressing the question "should we upgrade the line while we are at it?" either.
I will answer "should Cardiff to Swansea be electrified next?"; not in my opinion. Even looking just at the GWML (Great Western Main Line), Didcot-Oxford and the routes into Bristol Temple Meads (both via Bath and via Bristol Parkway, assuming the PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) via Bristol Parkway services haven't become a casualty of COVID) should come first. A key reason for that is that:
A rush to electrify without doing upgrades first adds significantly to the cost of those upgrades.  Someone once told me how much more Temple Meads Roof would if it was electrified first.  I can't remember the amount but it was very large!  I expect we could say the same about Bristol East Junction.  If improvements need doing to raise line speeds between Cardiff and Swansea then they must be done before electrification.
Between Cardiff and Swansea (and, in particular, between Cardiff and Bridgend) there are capacity limitations with a mix of slow (Maesteg and Swanline) services, freight and fast passenger services sharing just two tracks (with a few freight loops). That needs to be addressed before electrification.

May I pose a related question, would it be acceptable to break existing services so that only or predominantly, electric traction was used on this route?

Would changing trains at the limits of the wires be acceptable?
At Cardiff? I doubt it. It would however, I feel, make sense to terminate more services at Swansea. Manchester to Milford Haven is so hopelessly indirect that most who would be put off by needing to change would have been put off by the journey time anyway. Even Cardiff to Carmarthen is absolutely thrashed by the M4.

There might be through journeys from Manchester to Pembroke, both for the ferry and for beachy holidays.
Most of the through trains from Manchester go to Milford Haven not Pembroke Dock anyway - I think it's just one or two evening workings that go to Pembroke Dock. Even then, the ferry terminal is not obvious from the station and probably quite a long walk (I don't even know how to get to it). If you want a ferry to Rosslare Fishguard Harbour is probably a far better bet.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 09:42:06 »

If you electrify Chippenham to Bristol TM(resolve) you surely have to then electrify Bristol Parkway to Bristol TM too, if only for the huge number of empty stock workings every day to and from the depot.

And you’d get a nice electric route from Bristol to Cardiff too. And hopefully Swansea too in time.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 10:53:34 »

If you electrify Chippenham to Bristol TM(resolve) you surely have to then electrify Bristol Parkway to Bristol TM too, if only for the huge number of empty stock workings every day to and from the depot.

And you’d get a nice electric route from Bristol to Cardiff too. And hopefully Swansea too in time.

You don't "have to" ... but it makes sense to add Filton Bank fairly soon after Cockelbury Lane (east of Chippenenham) into Temple Meads. Also - should traffic requirements be such as to justify them - it would allow all-electric super fasts as planned via Badminton. I'm still going to throw in a vote for the Westerleigh to Bromsgrove case once Filton Bank is done, allowing all electric Bristol to Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow and Edinburgh via the West Coast.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: