Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:13:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Top ten worst places to live in England - comes to GWR land this year!  (Read 12852 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 26, 2021, 23:01:39 »

From I live Here - Top ten worst places to live in England.  Rather like Celtic winning the Scottish league, the winner is a foregone conclusion (and not in the GWR (Great Western Railway) area) and reading the list is a bit of fun because there's little around here. However, one of ours has made it to the top 10 this year:

Xxxxxxx is probably the only seaside town in England where ch@vs outnumber seagulls

If you don’t have a kid by the age of 20, are you really from Xxxxxxx?

Make sure you bring no valuables, as these will get stolen and if you happen to park in Xxxxxxx, then chances are you’ll have to get public transport home.

The local roads are more congested than the bowels of a Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) after a roast dinner. Seems like ***** aren’t the only group of people who are full of sh*t. Don’t be too unhappy though, it’s not like your GWR train service out of Xxxxxxx will be any faster.
Views expressed are quoted from that web site, and may not reflect mine.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 23:19:33 »

What would Basil say to that I wonder..
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 23:56:28 »

This topic ought to be in The Lighter Side.  Smiley

By the general rule of familiarity breeds contempt, the locals tend to talk their home town or village down.

Visitors can also talk places down due to things that happened to them when they were there. For example my adoptive mother had an absolute downer on Paignton and would never go there. That probably had a lot to do with when one day in the late 1950s we went on a day trip and it bucketed down all day, and a wasp got caught in her hair and stung her scalp. It would be very difficult to pin that on the mismanagement of the good Burghers of the Town...

I am reminded a little of the old joke about martyrs being rewarded in heaven with 24 virgins - except if they come from (insert place name of choice) because there aren't that many virgins there...

Wink
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 00:27:42 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 00:58:09 »

The media favourite for years was Jaywick on the Essex coast.  Smart money is on it's gentrification with the next five years. Buy now, buy low.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 08:07:06 »

From I live Here - Top ten worst places to live in England.  Rather like Celtic winning the Scottish league, the winner is a foregone conclusion (and not in the GWR (Great Western Railway) area) and reading the list is a bit of fun because there's little around here. However, one of ours has made it to the top 10 this year:

Xxxxxxx is probably the only seaside town in England where ch@vs outnumber seagulls

If you don’t have a kid by the age of 20, are you really from Xxxxxxx?

Make sure you bring no valuables, as these will get stolen and if you happen to park in Xxxxxxx, then chances are you’ll have to get public transport home.

The local roads are more congested than the bowels of a Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) after a roast dinner. Seems like ***** aren’t the only group of people who are full of sh*t. Don’t be too unhappy though, it’s not like your GWR train service out of Xxxxxxx will be any faster.
Views expressed are quoted from that web site, and may not reflect mine.

Always a safe bet!

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/swindon-5.html

Oh and Graham - you're a bit behind the times, be careful next time you're in Glasgow!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/table
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 11:28:20 »

I suppose I had better try and defend Torquay.  Property prices in Wellswood on a par with Salcombe and joint second to Sandbanks. Wellswood were any new property that is expensive, such as the planned 5* hotel, nearby flats on a closed girls school sail through planning.

New hotel near the front has been unable to open due to covid for months. Third new hotel at Corbyn Head ready to start for months. Million pound house for sale right behind. Buy now before you lose some of the sea view.

Two over subscribed grammar schools and an unusual CofE/Catholic combined secondary school. Soon to have a third station. Torquay United back in the league (need a bit of fantasy here) with a new multi venue stadium near the new station (another fantasy). It has one of the best hospitals in the country. My next door neighbour from a bowel cancer diagnosis to keyhole surgery and chucked out in four days was six weeks.

Shopping the council are planning to lose half of the retail space. Debenham's on the front recently closed owned by the council so will be developed probably with retail on the ground floor and flats/hotel above.

I did take exception to "If you don’t have a kid by the age of 20, are you really from Torquay?". The age should have been 16 and the town Paignton.

Torquay benevolently takes all the drug addicts from around the country to house in the cheap B&Bs, not the boutique B&B voted the best in the world.

Soon to have "new" trains replacing the 150s. 166s new down here. Lifts, sorry elevators, at Torquay and the new Edginswell. I wonder if Torre will get them; but it might upset the flashers as the schoolgirls use the stairs in their shortest skirts.

I think I'll have to move to Torquay from Paignton if it wasn't for Jim Davison calling it wrinkle city when he parked his yacht in the marina with all the other expensive boats. It was cheaper than a hotel when he appeared at the Princess Theatre every year. I forgot Torquay has two other theatres and a new 13 screen multiplex that has not opened due to covid.

Any questions?
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:49:07 »

I lived in Torquay in the 1950s when it still could claim to be the Queen of the English Riviera. We lived in Hennapyn Road, quite close to the station, and we quite often used a path crossing the railway to the sea-front.

Between 1999 and 2005 I visited a friend in Wellswood most months (travelling by train), and can recognise most of the criticisms made above.  I didn't think that the beaches were that great, many large houses had been converted into multi-occupancy with multiple bins kept outside. And in the summer it was difficult to get out of so as to reach Dartmoor.

My friend died from cancer in October but had excellent treatment from the NHS despite its necessary pre-occupation with Covid.

Her small cottage in Wellswood will be put on the market soon ... It's very close to Kents Cavern, which curiously we never visited, though we did go to most other tourist attractions in the area (including re-visiting the stone railway lines at Haytor).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 16:52:32 »

I am reminded a little of the old joke about martyrs being rewarded in heaven with 24 virgins - except if they come from (insert place name of choice) because there aren't that many virgins there...

Wink

Inverness?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 17:05:17 »

I quite like Torquay,

I was expecting st austell when I saw the topic title. St austell has a massive issue with most of the down and outs being housed in the town due to certain local facilities. Result walk through town and there’s people doing drugs in daylight in every empty shop doorway!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 00:05:48 »

Inverness?

If you're thinking of the same Barrack Room Ballad as I am, that only applied to those who went to the ball...

Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 12:43:51 »

Perhaps it should have been ... having it elsewhere tends tomato it more significant than it should be.

By the general rule of familiarity breeds contempt, the locals tend to talk their home town or village down.

True - you fill find similar pages for Bath, Salisbury, Trowbridge, Chippenham and Royal Wootton Bassett ...

Visitors can also talk places down due to things that happened to them when they were there. For example my adoptive mother had an absolute downer on Paignton and would never go there. That probably had a lot to do with when one day

Indeed.  I have mixed memories of Torbay

Torquay: A wonderful Community Rail Annual Award event there - not because of the party or awards (don't think we won any gongs that year!) but because of the networking, because of the chance to see so much of the local rail enviorment organisers by the Devon and Cornwall partnership (far prefer a 153 to a kettle to Kingswear!) and because of a brilliant, brilliant talk on a sustainable town development and what has been done in The Netherlands. Perhaps the most effective speaker (no, "performance") I have even seen.

Paignton: A meet-up with friends from around the world - we took over a hotel and Lisa and I provided internet access from a Sun workstation and mobile phone ("Brick") there - a couple of decades ago.  A good week, but so sad that the memory is of an aggressive pensioners couple walking side by side up a narrow pavement on a busy road. Lisa, I and Tyler (step son, aged about 9 or 10 at the time) walking toward them. We went single file but they didn't - Lisa and I stepped into the road, Tyler moved to walk past on the pavement edge but they pushed him off into the road with a "haven't you been told to respect your elders" comment and nearly into the path of a lorry ...

Lesson to self. NEVER act like that horrid old couple; always check what I do and say.   Twenty years later, it's still our memory of Paignton.  Unless it's been re-developed, I could probably take you to that road, but I've forgotten where the hotel was.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:49:36 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 12:57:10 »

Perhaps it should have been ... having it elsewhere tends tomato it more significant than it should be.

Defiantly should be the lighter side.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 13:40:48 »

Must get to the bottom of this; if the elderly couple had london or Birmingham accents they were local. Anything else and they were visitors.

In the last 20 years there has been no development in the Paignton central area at all until last year with the construction started of two hotels fronting the esplanade.

Park Hotel 23 February 2021 by Robert, on Flickr

The first due to open this July but with covid that will be tight. The other was August but is behind schedule. Being built by the same Singapore investor building the 5* hotel in Torquay and one at Corbyn Head. All costing £120m +. This year the Paignton Picture House is being restored to the time Agatha Christie was a cinema goer

Paignton was killed 20 years ago when Nortel finally closed it's giant electronics factory and 5000 jobs were lost. Torbay was one of the few areas where the population did not grow between the 2001 and 2011 census.

In the last 10 years, as in Torquay all development is on the outskirts. Paignton ring road being widened to four lanes in the area of the derelict Nortel factory which has been demolished and replaced by big stores such as The Range and The Food Warehouse and eventually 250 homes. Hundreds of other homes have been built off the ring road and the South Devon College has expanded to be one of the biggest employers in Paignton with campuses in Torquay, Newton Abbot (which I noticed was also in the top 50), and Kingswear with a marine academy.
There are a lot of scouse accents in these new homes using stand only Lidl, Aldi, Sainbury superstore. Asda, and a Morrisons superstore just off the ring road. Another thousand homes are due to be built off the ring road in Paignton alone. I expect the 2021 census will reveal an increase in population of Torbay by 4000-6000 keeping it just ahead of Exeter which is the faster growing city in the four counties of the South West.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 13:59:07 by REVUpminster » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 14:22:48 »

I expect the 2021 census will reveal an increase in population of Torbay by 4000-6000 keeping it just ahead of Exeter which is the faster growing city in the four counties of the South West.

And those 4 counties are?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 15:13:18 »

I expect the 2021 census will reveal an increase in population of Torbay by 4000-6000 keeping it just ahead of Exeter which is the faster growing city in the four counties of the South West.

And those 4 counties are?

Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Cheers Drive!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: