Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:58:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windmill City farm(south Bristol) to re-open  (Read 1838 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2021, 13:43:39 »

Windmill City farm is due to re-open on 29 March,if your gonna visit pleae use the train as its right by Bedminster station.

But please have your tickets issued to Parson Street,as the station needs all the help it can get to have a ramp/lifts installed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 14:01:48 »

Windmill City farm is due to re-open on 29 March,if your gonna visit pleae use the train as its right by Bedminster station.

But please have your tickets issued to Parson Street,as the station needs all the help it can get to have a ramp/lifts installed.

Good to hear of such first steps to re-opening.

But I am going to question "overbuying" logic even if the price is the same.

Passenger journey number at Parson Street have risen from 7,231 to 149,700 from 2004/5 to date, and at Bedminster there has been a rise from 32,489 to 95,466 - both excellent rises and I'm delighted to read recommendations of things to do that will bring even more users in due course.

But organised overbuying worries me. And it worries me because it adds a falseness to the figures which can be quoted against you in the future.  Very much a double edged sword - for sure it can give you numbers to help open doors, but at the same time it leaves you wide open to your new figures being treated with some doubt, and can be counterproductive.   Been there - on both edges of the sword.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 14:30:55 »

Understand what your saying Grahame,but large housing development is to start soon,right by Bedminster station.
So I can see a further increase in passengers numbers at Bedminster station as their is no direct bus service from Bedminster(or Parson street) to temple meads
Bedminster has a slope for those who have difficulties getting up and down the steps.
Parson street really does need a lift/ramp,before the portishead line reopens.
GWR 158

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 15:06:25 »

When's the Portishead line expected to re=open?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 15:24:32 »

When's the Portishead line expected to re=open?

2024 + f + g + c + d + b
where
b is extra time needed if unexpected bats, newts or dodos are found
c is the cynic's expectation period delay
d is further system delay times
f is the fudge factor
g is a factor to allow for government rule changes in the next (2024-2021+c+d+f) years

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 17:48:35 »

Understand what your saying Grahame,but large housing development is to start soon,right by Bedminster station.
So I can see a further increase in passengers numbers at Bedminster station as their is no direct bus service from Bedminster(or Parson street) to temple meads
Bedminster has a slope for those who have difficulties getting up and down the steps.
Parson street really does need a lift/ramp,before the portishead line reopens.

Many stations in the Bristol and Bath travel-to-work area need huge investment to make them properly accessible. Bedminster station could become a lot busier as Bedminster Green is developed - but only if the people who live there can find their way through to its single, restricted subway entrance. And although it has ramps, they are too steep to be considered properly accessible.

In my view it doesn't serve us well to play one station against another. We may often wonder why one station got funding for improvements when another did not; in truth there is an element of luck. But any improvements are a cause for celebration, and for renewing our efforts to bring up standards throughout our region.

Full disclosure: As it happens, I am currently working with Bristol Civic Society to argue the case for investing in Bedminster station. My local station, Montpelier, also needs huge investment but I'll be very happy if Bedminster is improved first. And I'll be delighted when Pilning gets its footbridge back!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 19:10:56 »

And I'll be delighted for the midnight sleeper to Prague to call at either Bedminster or Parson Street instead of Pilning!  Cheesy
Seriously, I agree with RS and Grahame here: investments and improvements should be based on actual usage rather than pumped-up figures – which in this case also means pumping-down the figures for a neighbouring station.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 19:11:50 »

And on a totally nitpicking note, isn't it Windmill Hill city farm?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: