Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:26:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Devon and Cornwall Branch Line Rolling stock  (Read 5770 times)
GWR 158

View Profile Email
« on: March 04, 2021, 08:46:48 »

What stock operates what services on the Devon and Cornwall branch lines? I have heard there are a few class 166s and 158s, but what about the class 150s?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:41:13 »

What stock operates what services on the Devon and Cornwall branch lines? I have heard there are a few class 166s and 158s, but what about the class 150s?

Reports of 158s are because of their rarity, and of 166s in Devon because of their novelty.

Here are some picture from Cornwall on a typical day last March

If you take a look around at other threads, you'll find further pictures featuring 150s on all branches in Cornwall, including the cross border one that leaves the main line in Devon but terminates in Cornwall.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GWR 158

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 09:55:56 »

Thanks very much, nice pictures!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:59:46 »

For DEVON branches (yes, I know I am following up on the Cornwall board and may move things around) the situation is more complex.  Here are some pictures from last March, since which the trains as old as the dinosaurs have been replaced.

You will now find a mixture.  Class 158 as the main units to Barnstaple, Class 150 as the main units to Exmouth and Paignton, and turbos (class 166 rather than 165, I believe) operating a handful of services to all three branch termini.  I need to go back to a previous laptop for pictures other than Exmouth.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GWR 158

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 10:00:04 »

Are the 150s refurbished?
GWR 158

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:01:03 »

Thanks, it's a shame in my opinion that the pacers have gone
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 10:12:20 »

Are the 150s refurbished?

They don't strike me as being too bad internally ... I will leave it to others to give you an answer as to where they are in that cycle.  Not something I have intentionally pictured in the last couple of years, but here's an idea:

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 10:14:23 »

For DEVON branches (yes, I know I am following up on the Cornwall board and may move things around) the situation is more complex.  Here are some pictures from last March, since which the trains as old as the dinosaurs have been replaced.

...by trains that were built around the same time, or at the most 5 or 6 years later  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 10:11:18 »

Here are some pictures from last March, since which the trains as old as the dinosaurs have been replaced.

The pacers were nowhere near as old as other stock still rolling about down here though!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 21:58:01 »

I'm wondering whether the industry needs to consider the development of new sets of rolling stock for branch lines. There's quite a lot of hand downs but new environmentally friendly stock (over and beyond Vivarail units) would be useful in helping the carbon neutrality aims going forward. Passenger comfort and services could be enhanced too, providing stock that could function over main lines regularly for Cornwall Metro type services. A sort of Junior Stadler Flirt would suit the role.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 22:17:55 »

Suitable "new" branch line stock could IMO (in my opinion) be found by re use of existing and redundant EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit), converted to battery operation, or possibly hybrid diesel/battery power.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 12:22:40 »

I'm wondering whether the industry needs to consider the development of new sets of rolling stock for branch lines. There's quite a lot of hand downs but new environmentally friendly stock (over and beyond Vivarail units) would be useful in helping the carbon neutrality aims going forward. Passenger comfort and services could be enhanced too, providing stock that could function over main lines regularly for Cornwall Metro type services. A sort of Junior Stadler Flirt would suit the role.
Suitable "new" branch line stock could IMO (in my opinion) be found by re use of existing and redundant EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit), converted to battery operation, or possibly hybrid diesel/battery power.
Network Rail's Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy (TDNS (Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy)) suggests battery operation for all the Cornish branches except Newquay which it suggests should be electrified. However, there is no obvious means of charging the batteries except in the platform at the relevant junction stations with no under-wires running expected for these units. Should the TDNS be authorised for implementation by 2050, Great Britain already has far more CAF Civity DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (classes 195 and 196) than would be needed to operate all such routes - across the whole of Great Britain very few units would not spend part of their journey under the wires.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 14:01:24 »

Battery charging is fairly easy to arrange on routes that are non electrified throughout.
At the terminus, and at any places where the trains remain, install a short length of conductor rail, probably* at the standard "southern" voltage of 750 volts* DC (Direct Current).
To reduce the risk of accident, place this centrally between the running rails, and render it dead except when a train is over it.

Charging rate would depend on the available electricity supply, perhaps supplemented with PV modules.
A small but 11KV supply would allow charging at 250 Kw in the dark, or at 270 KW in dull daylight, or at 350 Kw in bright sun. A 100 KW PV array would fit on a large station or other building.

To allow for stabling away from the usual locations also design for plugging in to the mains with a suitable cable. A domestic 13 amp supply is SLIGHTLY better than nothing but only slightly as charging could take a week ! Even a 13 amp supply would allow use of the internal lighting, and of a couple of vacuum cleaners for servicing without any battery discharge.
A 3 phase 32 amp supply, available almost everywhere, would give a significant charge overnight.

*Or possibly a lower voltage since this would use standard transformers.
11 Kv transformers with a three phase 4 wire output at 250/433 volts are a low priced commodity item as vast numbers are used to provide the standard 230/400 volt supply used everywhere. Two such transformers, one with reversed polarity would produce a 6 phase supply, easy to rectify and connect to the conductor rail.
Apart from low cost, the other merits are that standard, off the shelf, grid tie PV inverters may be used to connect PV modules, and it MIGHT be acceptable to use the same transformers to supply other loads.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 15:19:41 »

Battery charging is fairly easy to arrange on routes that are non electrified throughout.
At the terminus, and at any places where the trains remain, install a short length of conductor rail, probably* at the standard "southern" voltage of 750 volts* DC (Direct Current).
To reduce the risk of accident, place this centrally between the running rails, and render it dead except when a train is over it.

Charging rate would depend on the available electricity supply, perhaps supplemented with PV modules.
A small but 11KV supply would allow charging at 250 Kw in the dark, or at 270 KW in dull daylight, or at 350 Kw in bright sun. A 100 KW PV array would fit on a large station or other building.

To allow for stabling away from the usual locations also design for plugging in to the mains with a suitable cable. A domestic 13 amp supply is SLIGHTLY better than nothing but only slightly as charging could take a week ! Even a 13 amp supply would allow use of the internal lighting, and of a couple of vacuum cleaners for servicing without any battery discharge.
A 3 phase 32 amp supply, available almost everywhere, would give a significant charge overnight.

*Or possibly a lower voltage since this would use standard transformers.
11 Kv transformers with a three phase 4 wire output at 250/433 volts are a low priced commodity item as vast numbers are used to provide the standard 230/400 volt supply used everywhere. Two such transformers, one with reversed polarity would produce a 6 phase supply, easy to rectify and connect to the conductor rail.
Apart from low cost, the other merits are that standard, off the shelf, grid tie PV inverters may be used to connect PV modules, and it MIGHT be acceptable to use the same transformers to supply other loads.

Have you considered a career at Go-op?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 16:19:39 »

Have you considered a career at Go-op?
It would certainly then have a USP over other local train operators - a buffet car with port on sale.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: