Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:41:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending Bath's dirty air to Wiltshire?  (Read 3488 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 06, 2021, 12:35:32 »

From Wiltshire Council

With less than two weeks until the launch of Bath's Clean Air Zone (CAZ (Clean Air Zone)), Wiltshire Council has shared its profound concerns over the impact it will have in Wiltshire.

The CAZ, which begins on 15 March, will see some vehicles that do not meet emission standards charged to enter some parts of Bath. Private cars will not be charged, but many trucks, lorries, vans and HGVs will have to pay a charge to enter the zone.

The council remains concerned that many drivers will look to avoid paying the charge, and will reroute through Wiltshire communities, aggravating existing problems with congestion and air quality.

To ensure these concerns are addressed by Bath and North East Somerset Council (BANES) and Defra, the Leader of Wiltshire Council, Cllr Philip Whitehead, has written to his BANES counterpart, Cllr Dine Romero, to reiterate the council's request for monitoring in West Wiltshire to measure traffic volumes and ensure there is no detrimental effect on the air quality.

In response, BANES has offered support to "develop a joint approach to monitoring", but with less than two weeks to go until CAZ implementation, Wiltshire Council believes this is work that should have been completed during the CAZ planning stage.

Some of us have long been asking questions about Bath "offloading" ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 13:58:15 »

The same sort of questions have been asked about other Clean Air Zones, and of Liveable Neighbourhoods. Motor traffic reduction looks like a game of whack-a-mole: as cars are squeezed out of one place, they pop up somewhere else.

Here in Bristol, TfGB have developed a fairly comprehensive traffic plan which keeps all through traffic on a few strategic roads. But people live along these roads! Should they pay the price so that the rest of us can have clean air and safe streets?

There are no easy answers here. The best hope is that motor traffic transfers to other modes, and that through the planning system we can make it easier for people to access what they need without having to get in a car. But for this, we need to reverse a nine-decade experiment to prove that the private car has massive limitations as a general mode of transport.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 14:03:19 »

The answer might be for Wiltshire to introduce its own Clean Air Zone (CAZ (Clean Air Zone)). The longer term answer will be that higher standards should, regardless of rural CAZs or not, be applied by default because new vehicles will be made/sold to higher standards.

Edit - grahame - demonstrating adding acronyms
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:49:19 by grahame » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 14:59:54 »

The answer might be for Wiltshire to introduce its own Clean Air Zone. The longer term answer will be that higher standards should, regardless of rural CAZs (Clean Air Zone) or not, be applied by default because new vehicles will be made/sold to higher standards.

That would be the whack-a-mole approach!

Bear in mind that these CAZ's are temporary:

‘Where air quality has improved to the level required and there is evidence that this improvement would be maintained, the Government expects local authorities to remove the elements of the zone that are no longer required at the earliest opportunity.’
Source DEFRA/DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Clean Air Zone Framework

In theory they could only last two years.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 15:45:28 »

This to me looks like ANOTHER example of claiming to reduce pollution by trading/offsetting/moving it somwhere else, rather than by actually reduceing fuel used. Total fuel used will probably be increased as drivers take a longer route.

In another thread I have spoken in favour of increased taxes on road fuel, this would reduce use of same and thereby reduce pollution throughout the country, not just move it around.

More costly fuel leeds to
Less driving of private cars, with public transport, walking or cycling being used instead for some journeys.
Less driving of delivery vehicles with more use of full loads rather than multiple partly loaded vehicles.
Less idleing of engines, with a clear financial incentive to stop the engine.
Better maintenance of vehicles, remember that black smoke represents wasted fuel.
Fuel economy being a major factor when considering replacement vehicles.

Yet despite this there is considerable opposition to higher fuel prices, both within these forums and in the wider world.

And both TPTB (The Powers That Be) and ordinary citizens in Bath should welcome and encourage railway electrification, rather than delay and obstruct same.
I wonder how many people are campaigning for clean air AND for cheaper road fuel ?
Or campaigning for clean air AND against railway electrification ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 16:36:01 »

...ordinary citizens in Bath should welcome and encourage railway electrification, rather than delay and obstruct same.

Not that old chestnut again! WHACK!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 19:11:40 »

The answer might be for Wiltshire to introduce its own Clean Air Zone. The longer term answer will be that higher standards should, regardless of rural CAZs (Clean Air Zone) or not, be applied by default because new vehicles will be made/sold to higher standards.

That would be the whack-a-mole approach!

Bear in mind that these CAZ's are temporary:

‘Where air quality has improved to the level required and there is evidence that this improvement would be maintained, the Government expects local authorities to remove the elements of the zone that are no longer required at the earliest opportunity.’
Source DEFRA/DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Clean Air Zone Framework

In theory they could only last two years.
I did not know that. If it only lasts two years in Bristol, the council will have spent longer talking about it than operating it.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 19:15:59 »

But what happens after the two years ?
Does it mean that the clean air zone is abolished, or does it mean that it has to be re-approved, re-launched, applied to a slightly different area, or called something else?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 10:42:25 »

Worth bearing in mind also that Wiltshire already sends its dirty air to Bath. It's estimated that up to 50% of urban air pollution originates from agriculture, in the form of particulates and NOx (but not, I think, so much CO or CO2) from activities such as spraying.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:43:11 »

Worth bearing in mind also that Wiltshire already sends its dirty air to Bath. It's estimated that up to 50% of urban air pollution originates from agriculture, in the form of particulates and NOx (but not, I think, so much CO or CO2) from activities such as spraying.

Actually, most of Bath's agripollution probably comes from North Somerset. Pollution tends to drift eastwards in Europe; that's why it's usually on the east side of towns that the poorer people live. This wasn't the case before the industrial revolution; you can sometimes find large Georgian villas in eastern suburbs, but like as not they're HMOs.

I note that BaNES sought funding to study the effects on their CAZ (Clean Air Zone) on Wiltshire, but were told that wasn't part of the deal.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 13:19:19 »

Actually, most of Bath's agripollution probably comes from North Somerset. Pollution tends to drift eastwards in Europe; that's why it's usually on the east side of towns that the poorer people live. This wasn't the case before the industrial revolution; you can sometimes find large Georgian villas in eastern suburbs, but like as not they're HMOs.
Clifton, of course, is on the west of Bristol. But then they developed Avonmouth... I'm not familiar enough with eg Liverpool or Glasgow to say but I presume they must have areas that similarly got 'caught out' by industrial development shifting coastwards. And I wonder if this was a contributing factor in Clifton's decline in the mid-20th century? It's recovered now, of course.

I note that BaNES sought funding to study the effects on their CAZ (Clean Air Zone) on Wiltshire, but were told that wasn't part of the deal.
Impressive that they asked, depressing that it was turned down.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 14:06:20 »

Impressive that they asked, depressing that it was turned down.

There are impressive elements to what BaNES are doing ... with a slight local irritation / frustration from the Wiltshire side that they are doing various things (Cleveland Bridge and failure to provide a better link between the trunk A46 and trunk A36 as well as clean air zone) which have the effect of exporting some of their problems / negative issues to us.

I am gobsmacked that Wiltshire has chosen now to raise its concerns - it strikes me a trying to shut the stable door when the horse, if not bolted, is pretty well out with just its arse stopping the door finally closing.  It could be that the concerns have previous been raise too, of course, but not made the headlines, though that's not how the story reads - it reads as if they have just woken up.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 14:58:50 »

Various A46-A36 links, avoiding Cleveland Bridge in various ways, have been discussed since the 70s to my knowledge. Probably before that, but I wasn't around to hear of them.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 17:58:30 »

Yes, various ways have been tried, including that huge waste of money building a dual carriageway from the A46 to the A4 heading towards Chippenham. The anti-roads lobby love to trumpet this as classic waste of money on road building - they are right, but THEY caused this to be a waste of time and money. This was a golden opportunity to get the traffic out of Bath - but was totally wasted by caving in to the protestors.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 18:32:36 »

But from what I remember – and I was living in Bath in the early 90s – that was never intended to connect to the A36. There have been various plans which would have done that, such as a new road running down the eastern side of the Avon valley.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: