Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:28:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yate Park and Ride  (Read 3110 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:19 »

Work begins on Yate Park and Ride

Sustainable travel in Yate is getting a boost as work begins on the new Yate Park and Ride.

The new transport hub will help reduce traffic along the congested A432 Badminton Road corridor by encouraging people to use alternative travel options such as public transport, cycling or car sharing.

The £3.6 million facility is being built on Badminton Road adjacent to the South Gloucestershire Council offices and will include 198 parking spaces, 38 electric vehicle (EV) charge points and secure cycle parking for 46 bikes, as well as improved bus stops.

The site will provide an initial park and ride service using the existing bus network, and will later benefit from the planned extension of metrobus services to the area.

It will also be available for rail users at Yate Station, which is just an eight-minute walk from the site.

...continues
Source: WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 11:38:51 »

Where are the Council Offices in Badminton Road? I haven't lived in Yate since 1980 and I can't place them!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 11:54:53 »

Where are the Council Offices in Badminton Road? I haven't lived in Yate since 1980 and I can't place them!

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/vLHwC2ncmnaUToH39

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 15:20:38 »

Thanks. I used to know Yate like the back of my hand.

Turns out that I can now get lost on the back of my hand...
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 16:18:36 »

Just for Robin and all those many, many Yate fans anong us, here's a decidley wintry trip down memory lane:

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 21:11:00 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-bristol-56443686

Yate named country's 'most resilient small town'

A commuter town near Bristol has been ranked as the country's "most resilient small town" during the Covid-19 crises, according to new research.

Retail consultancy CWM analysed 222 towns and Yate came out on top.

Jonathan De Mello, from CWM, said Yate scored well because it has "lots of professionals nearby" and "more essential retail than most".

He added: "I don't think Yate has done anything in particular well, just that it is less exposed to decline."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 11:11:51 »

The Yate Town Improvement Masterplan was published earlier this month - you may have missed it, with all that's been going on - but it has some interesting ideas for Yate Station:

The masterplan redefines the station from a ‘functional’ to a ‘living station’ with much greater emphasis on it as a place and a destination within Yate. This is a major opportunity to encourage sustainable movement through a central hub, serviced by a mix of amenities and high-quality public realm.

[...]

Stage 1:
• Rationalise the station infrastructure to the south of Station Road, with the relocation of the southbound platform to run alongside the existing northbound platform.
• The parking north of Station Road to be retained in this stage.
• A new split-level station building with bus interchange facilities is proposed in this step, with temporary drop-off zones located to the north of Station Road, within the existing parking area.

Stage 2:
• Improve land uses in the immediate vicinity of the station to build on improved destination and connectivity The parking and temporary drop off areas to be reconfigured to the west of the station, to create a clear definition between vehicle focused arrival to the west, and pedestrian and cycling focused arrival to the east.
• North of Station Road urban regeneration with mixed use that support and activate the new station environment and leverage its increased attractiveness and vibrancy.
• Commuter parking to be retained below new buildings.

Stage 3:
• Urban regeneration with mixed use that support and activate the new station environment and leverage its increased attractiveness and vibrancy.

Source: Yate Town Improvement Masterplan

...there's quite a lot more about the station, starting at P.42.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 10:45:39 »

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the station, a lot of people (including myself) work in the industrial area on the west of the town and I could imagine that a nice cafe and shops on the site could do very well.

At peak times the station is pretty well used, but one train per hour limits its usefulness, I suspect that a half-hour or greater service would significantly increase ridership.

Moving the southbound platform alongside the northbound seems sensible and would presumably make future platform extension easier, I can't see how that could be easily reconciled with adding a bay to support a Thornbury service though? Perhaps the best way would be for S Gloucs to bit the bullet and replace the road bridge, which would enable a walkway through to a northbound bay, not to mention be one less barrier to future electrification.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 14:46:09 »

I've added a post to the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) site on this subject, along with some pictures, which you can see here: https://fosbr.org.uk/a-living-station-for-yate/

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: