09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 11:29:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[296] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[235] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[56] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[39] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[35] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[17] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bus may stop serving Hareclive Road after a wave of attacks  (Read 1125 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 13, 2021, 12:38:44 »

From Bristol Live

First Bus may stop serving a Hartcliffe route after a wave of attacks.

A spokesman for the operator said today (March 12): "This week alone, the company has had five windows damaged by rocks being thrown from outside the vehicles which resulted in the Service 76 being pulled out of Hareclive Road in Hartcliffe at short notice.

"The driver of one of the vehicles was also subject to racial abuse."

First is working with police to identify culprits but says if the attacks continue it "may have no choice but to withdraw the service from Hareclive Road until the situation is back under control".

When I post news on the forum, I do not usually post my views initially but rather leave it to members to come in first.  I am going to make an exception in this case - in my view throwing rocks at buses and racially abusing staff is unacceptable, and those responsible should be sought out by the authorities and brought to justice.

I will read any "likes" on this post as an endorsement of my view and NOT in support of the perpetrators

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 14:40:13 »

Unfortunately this sort of thing is nothing new. Have a read of some of the Flickr captions posted by Stephen Dowle aka Fray Bentos describing his time on Bristol's buses.

Fred Wedlock also did a comedy song back in the 60s which contained the lines:

"If you want a bus to Southmead, I'm afraid you'll have to wait
For the crew on the seven thirty are riding shotgun on the ten past eight"

One of those gags that contained a grain of truth, I'm afraid
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 15:45:03 »

This sort of criminal behaviour seems to be on the increase. In general, not just against public transport.

The answer in my view is not to withdraw services (except perhaps in a very short term emergency) but more police patrols to deter or catch the criminals, and stiffer sentances by the courts.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 18:28:02 »

It's happened before and First Bristol have warned of suspending services before.  There comes a point when the safety of both the drivers and passengers makes this necessary, if only temporarily and that point seems to have been reached unless things change very quickly and in a sustained manner.
What dismays just as much is the young age of some of the culprits.  I've witnessed (in Bristol but not in Hartcliffe) stones being thrown at buses by youths appearing not even yet to have reached their teens.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 03:36:48 »

I would support short prison terms for stone throwers and the like.

Much is made of the huge costs of imprisionment, and lack of space in prisons. I could run basic prisons very cheaply by eliminating most of the present costs.

A simple concrete cell with a barred window, a WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)), a cold water tap, and a bench.
Give the prisoner a blanket and two packets of biscuits, and lock them up for from 24 to 72 hours according to the nature of the offence.
Provide an intercom or alarm button for use in case of emergency. Add 6 hours for each misuse of this.

No education, counselling, training, exercise or other facilities need be provided, it is only for up to 72 hours. No drink needed beyond the cold water tap. No food needed apart from a couple of packs of biscuits. No kitchens, workshops, classrooms, or the like are needed.
They can pray to any god, but no facilities for religous obseervance need be provided.
No visitors, therefore no need for any visiting facilities. No heating or electricity supply needed. (allow two blankets in very cold weather)

After releasing the convict, pressure wash the cell and launder the blanket. Very little else is required.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 06:59:31 »

I wrote "and punished to the full extent of the law" and replaced it by "and brought to justice" in my post at yesterday lunchtime. "Let the punishment fit the crime" reminds me - I'm sorry - of a Victorian comic opera and is an oversimplification. Follow up needs to fit and consider the offender, the deterrence of others, the effect on other involved, the budget, the humanity and to a degree the offence. I am not saying "be soft" - rather "be effective in outcomes".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 07:29:26 »

In the case of Hareclive Road.
  Bristol Buses we all love you in your British Racing Green
    When we're waiting at the bus stop Seldom Heard and never Scene.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 15:08:51 »

It is shocking, but sadly not new, as has been pointed out. First pulled out of Inns Court at one point for very similar reasons. There have been other hotspots in the BS13 area - the spanky new bus shelters installed a few years ago were trashed long before the first bus arrived. Hareclive Road hasn't featured prominently in past times. The remedy should lie with the people who live in the area, not the powers that be, but that is far easier said than done.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: