27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 23:37:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotham Hill opening to non-motorists  (Read 15443 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2021, 23:39:57 »

Cotham Hill to close to motorists to support businesses during pandemic

Businesses on Cotham Hill are to be temporarily given extra trading space next month to support reopening amid COVID-19 restrictions.

From April 12, hospitality venues will be permitted to reopen using outdoor seating areas and a road closure is a response to calls from traders to provide outdoor capacity on Cotham Hill.

The move follows recent engagement by Bristol City Council that found more space for pedestrians and outdoor traders was a high priority for people living and working in Cotham.

While the associated closure to through traffic is a temporary response to the pandemic initially, the council will monitor its impacts to help design a similar, long-term scheme.

Mayor Marvin Rees said: “Since last summer we have delivered a package of transport upgrades to make it easier for Bristolians to get around during the pandemic. We have been flexible in our approach of using temporary materials to create more space for pedestrian and cyclists, and I am pleased that we are now able to do the same for Cotham Hill. It has been clear from speaking to traders and our recent engagement that some form of road closure is a key priority for local people, and we will be working with the community on plans for a longer-term scheme. Our aim is to deliver more liveable neighbourhoods right across the city that are free from traffic congestion and pollution.”

Two parts of the road will be closed to through traffic - between Whiteladies Gate and Hampton Lane; and between Hampton Park and Abbotsford Road.

This will provide space for businesses and residents to gain access for loading and deliveries, while also preventing the road from being used as a through-route.

The closure will be implemented using temporary barriers that will provide space for businesses to trade outdoors on both sides of the road, with a shared space for pedestrians and cyclists in the middle. Barriers and signs will be in place to ensure reduced cycle speeds in the shared space.

Cllr Kye Dudd, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: “We are pleased we can provide this interim solution for businesses that will support them to reopen during the next stage of COVID-19 restrictions. Our next move will be to work with locals to design a scheme that takes a more holistic view at the area to avoid negative impacts on nearby roads. We encourage people to get out, enjoy the outdoor shared space and help give their local economy a boost when the restrictions allow. We also want people's views as we monitor the impacts of the temporary scheme.”

Dan Williams, owner of Coffee and Beer, and Kieran and Imogen Waite, Bravas owners, said: “We are really grateful that the Cotham Hill community will get the road closure many of us have asked for. This will allow us to reopen in April using outdoor space. Without it we would have to remain closed and, after an incredibly difficult year, this could be the difference between our businesses surviving or not. It will help to cement Cotham Hill as an independent, destination high street where people can come for a stroll to browse and support the variety of great businesses. The closure will give people more space to do this safely during the pandemic as well as create a more accessible, cleaner environment - whilst helping to address local concerns about safety and speeding traffic. We are excited to see some new and old faces soon and hope this temporary closure will be a successful trial to help inform a more permanent strategy for the road.”
Source: Bristol City Council

This is the road directly opposite Clifton Down Station.

Edit: Attribute source - RS
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 16:02:27 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 13:04:36 »

Extremely similar report on B24/7: https://www.bristol247.com/food-and-drink/news-food-and-drink/hospitality-owners-celebrate-cotham-hill-pedestrianisation-plans/

I know the manager of one of the charity shops on Cotham Hill. He actually wrote against this when it was first considered last year, mostly out of concern that people would no longer bring in donations (which can be very heavy) if they couldn't park nearby. In fact, it looks like the section where he is will not be closed, and I think he'll be pleased with increased footfall. But we'll see.

Also, the top photo in the B24/7 reminds us that this is partly the result of "guerilla road marking" during Lockdown 1. You can see the "homemade" markings where the man with the Sainsbury's bag is walking:

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 16:01:22 »

Extremely similar report on B24/7

I quoted the BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) press release, but didn't credit it. I have now corrected that!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 16:52:13 »

Is RS in the acronym directory? Huh Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 17:12:42 »

Is RS in the acronym directory? Huh Roll Eyes

No - concentrating at this stage on the main content acronyms.  Resources limited and that's a category we could too later.

Personal member acronyms come with an extra set of issues:
* Does the member welcome the Acronym or is it an "nickname" someone else has assigned
* How far do you go - at what point do you include someone, and may you upset people by the selections made or not?
+ In addition to a number of them overlapping main content, be it RadioSpares, BurNhaM station or WordPress.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 17:16:04 »

You have the option of adding in a board moderator to the board's index page. That would be my suggestion, just as you have added Data Managers to some board indexes. A look up could therefore ne made as to whom RS might be.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 17:29:56 »

You have the option of adding in a board moderator to the board's index page. That would be my suggestion, just as you have added Data Managers to some board indexes. A look up could therefore ne made as to whom RS might be.

Actually, RS resolved just below anyway  Grin

« Last Edit: Today at 04:02:27 pm by Red Squirrel »

If you fancy taking on the task of checking with members that they're OK with how their names are shortened, adding new ones as they come along, and coming up with guidelines as to which to include, ChrisB, we could have a look at that - always happy to have help with the knife and fork and spade work.   That needs to be done whether or not we change the appointment of board moderators to fit the acronyms.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 18:56:23 »

My suggestion would be that they’re not shortened
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 22:52:18 »

You're right. I have on more than one occasion thought someone was referring to me when they actually meant Robin Summerhill, so I can see that this can cause confusion. I will try to remember not to abbreviate myself in future.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 23:30:38 »

Posting here under my full username of Chris from Nailsea, may I offer a couple of observations?

Firstly, Cotham Hill has always been something of a rat-run, in terms of road traffic trying to avoid delays further down on Whiteladies Road and Queen's Road.  I therefore commend its closure to road traffic, on that basis.

Secondly, however, I have to drive my delivery van there, in order to deliver essential groceries to vulnerable members of the community who live in the adjoining streets. Such a restriction will make it even more difficult for me to do so in a timely manner.  I therefore condemn its closure, on that basis.

Be careful what you wish for.  Roll Eyes

Chris from Nailsea.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 04:56:20 »

Posting here under my full username of Chris from Nailsea, may I offer a couple of observations?

Firstly, Cotham Hill has always been something of a rat-run, in terms of road traffic trying to avoid delays further down on Whiteladies Road and Queen's Road.  I therefore commend its closure to road traffic, on that basis.

Secondly, however, I have to drive my delivery van there, in order to deliver essential groceries to vulnerable members of the community who live in the adjoining streets. Such a restriction will make it even more difficult for me to do so in a timely manner.  I therefore condemn its closure, on that basis.

Chris from Nailsea.  Lips sealed

Thx 4 info, CfN!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 11:00:18 »

...I have to drive my delivery van there...

I must admit I thought Bristol City Council (BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)) had been rather clever here, leaving an access route via Hampton Park and Hampton Lane so that anyone needing to get to, rather than through, the area can still do so.

But your mileage, as they say Chris, may vary! Do these schemes make it harder for delivery drivers? Does the reduction in rat-running traffic balance out that to any extent?

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:58:11 by VickiS » Logged

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 18:16:11 »

It's not entirely clear to me how this closure or access will work. If Chris has to deliver groceries to adjoining streets, no problems – at least until he meets another van coming the other way in Hampton Lane – but if he has to deliver to an address on Cotham Hill between, say, Hampton Park and Abbotsford Road, what is the procedure? Will there be access from the Cotham Hill and Hampton Park/Lane junction or will it be a case of park and walk? Perhaps more of an issue for the cafes and restaurants in that section than the flats above them.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 21:14:41 »

The problem with Bristol City Council (not my name for them) seems to be, as far as I can tell, that unless you walk or cycle they couldn't give a **** and simply wish to make life hell for motorists: if BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) (or, as I call them, BSC) fail to heed that then that is their stupidity.

Dave
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 22:01:23 »

The problem with Bristol City Council (not my name for them) seems to be, as far as I can tell, that unless you walk or cycle they couldn't give a **** and simply wish to make life hell for motorists: if BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) (or, as I call them, BSC) fail to heed that then that is their stupidity.

Dave

So what could they do for the motorist?

They could make parking cheap or free and then they would have to demolish large parts of the city to build car parks.
They could relieve congestion by building new roads and then they would have to demolish large parts of the city to build those new roads. That was the idea of the 1960's and it became obvious it wouldn't work as early as the 1970's
They could just let the congestion continue to build up but then the city would come to a halt and they air quality would get even worse.
They could provide better public transport so less people want to drive into the city, but for that they need the support of their neighbouring authorities and that has not always been forthcoming and even then public transport costs money and in our highly centralised state, they can only do what central government will pay for (hence metrobus because that's the type of solution central government had decided was their favourite at the time. More reliable busses are only possible if they have some priority in road space over cars, but that means less for the motorist. 
They could try to get more people to walk or cycle, but cycling on a busy road is not safe, particularly one that is narrow and unsuitable for that traffic. Arguably the motorist has made life hell for cyclists. And walking in busy areas is not good when the air is polluted and the footways are narrow and the traffic close by, motorists have also made life hell for pedestrians.  So what do Bristol City Council (BCC) do? Create separate walking or cycle routes - where?

You think Bristol City Council (BCC) are deliberately making life hell for motorists. Perhaps motorists have already made life hell for themselves. Perhaps Bristol City Council (BCC) are trying to make life less hellish for the cyclists and pedestrians.

Here they want to do something on a narrow side street that is a popular shopping area to try and revive the shops when so many were closing even before Covid.  The street is full of traffic that really should be using the main road not a narrow side street. 

What do you want Bristol City Council (BCC) to do? 

I think Chris from Nailsea has summed it up quite well.  There is no easy answer to the traffic problem in our cities. We cannot build our way out of congestion, we have to reduce the road traffic, but the only way to discourage traffic is not going to be popular with motorists. 

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:59:48 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: