I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:24:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotham Hill opening to non-motorists  (Read 15232 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2021, 23:48:22 »

It's already slightly less makeshift in that the red and white plastic barriers originally used have been replaced with more attractive wooden planters. But the signs still have a temporary air. I would hope that if the scheme becomes permanent, the entire width of the street would be paved. At the moment there are makeshift ramps – little slopes of tarmac on the kerb – where restaurant seating has been extended over the whole pavement. This is a bit unsatisfactory IMO (in my opinion).

I'll also take this opportunity to remind people of the Cotham Hill street party on Sunday 12th September: bands, food, dancing, fun!

Agreed, I would welcome the experiment to be deemed successful (as I suspect it might) and a degree of nicely designed permanence introduced.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2021, 13:19:34 »

The permanent scheme is now open for consultation:

https://bristol.citizenspace.com/sustainable-transport/cotham-hill-permanent-scheme/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2021, 18:40:43 »

There appears to be an error in either the map or the text of Option B. The text does not mention a one-way section on Abbotsford Road but the map shows one. I think they've either accidentally copied this over on the map from Option A or failed to add it to the text.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2021, 11:51:26 »

The consultation has been botched. The text descriptions of the options do not match the maps, which are hard to read.

I and others have pointed this out to the Transport Engagement team, but thus far they don't seem to think there is a problem. It would help if you were happy to email them at

Transport.Engagement@bristol.gov.uk

and tell them that you too find it confusing!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2021, 13:48:33 »

Will do! I also noted a comment in Bristol 24/7 (I think, or was it Bristol Live) to the effect of "It was recently announced that this scheme would become permanent so a) why another consultation b) why does that consultation include Option C would remove the pedestrianisation?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2022, 14:14:44 »

The consultation for this scheme is now closed. You can see the results here: https://bristol.citizenspace.com/sustainable-transport/cotham-hill-permanent-scheme/

Three options were offered. Two involved retaining and enhancing the scheme, differing only in the details of whether West Park was included or not; the third option would have re-opened Cotham Hill to one-way motor traffic.

90% of respondents supported the options which retained the current scheme; 5% supported the one-way street option and 5% didn't know.

Further statutory consultation will now take place towards a TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains) later in the year.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2022, 23:38:39 »

...I have to drive my delivery van there...
I must admit I thought Bristol City Council (BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)) had been rather clever here, leaving an access route via Hampton Park and Hampton Lane so that anyone needing to get to, rather than through, the area can still do so.
But your mileage, as they say Chris, may vary! Do these schemes make it harder for delivery drivers? Does the reduction in rat-running traffic balance out that to any extent?

I have to say that the closure of the lower end of Cotham Hill to road traffic did cause me some inconvenience on Saturday evening.  Roll Eyes

Following my SatNav's audible suggestion in the background, I turned my van right from Whiteladies Road into Cotham Hill, moments before remembering this topic.  Angry

I then had to turn my Mercedes Sprinter van around, in the remaining road area at that junction.  The number of pedestrians who continued to walk across the tarmac road surface behind my van was incredible.  I had everything on - reversing lights, brake lights and audible squarker!  Fortunately, I could see them all in the reverse-facing CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), so I continued to reverse, at less than walking pace.  Shocked

All I wanted to do was get to an address in Hampton Road.  I eventually managed to drive up Aberdeen Road and approach it from there.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2022, 08:20:54 »

Following my SatNav's audible suggestion in the background, I turned my van right from Whiteladies Road into Cotham Hill, moments before remembering this topic.  Angry

There do seem to be many problems with SatNavs some suggested mitigations:

1) Require suppliers to provide free updates (preferably uploaded automatically as computer software updates are)
2) Suppliers, through some sort of trade association to prov ide a single source where highway authorities and others can report changes and problems
3) Require suppliers to include restrictions on vehicle size, weight etc.  And require users to enter this data for their vehicle into the satnav at the start of the journey
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2022, 08:52:31 »

Currently have a Mazda system, and that's only updated twice a year.
Expensive as well to update.

I've seen quite a few PCV drivers using the small car satnavs to help them.
Guess it would be too expensive for companies to provide the appropriate satnav system for the correct vehicle, and updates as well.

I remember TomTom did a 'large vehicle' satnav where you used to input vehicle type and size, etc.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2022, 09:58:22 »

That's the problem really, the suppliers pricing policies drive people to use inappropriate and out of date satnavs.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2022, 10:24:17 »

I had everything on - reversing lights, brake lights and audible squarker! 
I like this word and shall start using it at every opportunity!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2022, 10:25:41 »

I was astonished to discover how much it would cost to get our car's inbuilt satnav updated. It was a lot cheaper to get a sturdy mount for a phone and use Google Maps instead.

One particular bugbear is the 'speed limit' feature, when the satnav shows a speed limit sign. The inbuilt satnav often indicates '60' when we are in a '40' zone, for example. Google Maps is usually quite quick to recognise these changes. Google Maps can also tell you when it would be quicker to take public transport or walk!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: