Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:36 Liskeard to Looe
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:30:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you posted polls to the Coffee Shop?  (Voting closed: March 28, 2021, 17:56:02)
Yes, I have and would again - 8 (22.2%)
Yes, I have but I won't again (please post why) - 0 (0%)
No, because I have nothing useful to ask - 16 (44.4%)
No, because I didn't know I could - 1 (2.8%)
No, because I'm not familiar with how to do it - 4 (11.1%)
No, because it's not flexible enough - 0 (0%)
No, because it doesn't reach the audience I want - 0 (0%)
No, because I don't have the time to manage a poll - 1 (2.8%)
No, because it's not in my character to start something like that - 4 (11.1%)
No, because my employer lets me contribute but not start things - 0 (0%)
No, because I fear showing up a lack on knowledge - 0 (0%)
No, for some other reason the poll setter hasn't thought of! (tell me why!) - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polls on the Great Western Coffee Shop - my personal checklist  (Read 2320 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 20, 2021, 16:54:57 »

A poll to ask whether you have run polls here on the Coffee Shop.  Of course, I could look through the logs and find out who has done so, but I want to ask the rest of you why there are so few, and to share with you my personal thoughts which I have just listed down into some sort of order.   The outcome of the poll may help the team here unlock some doors if indeed it turns out that people want to post polls but have been put off for some reason.

Polls on the Great Western Coffee Shop - my personal checklist

Before you start
1. Be very clear on the question
2. Avoid a loaded question
3. Make sure the thread topic fits well with the question

Setting up the poll
4. Make sure that the answers offered fit the question
5. Make sure you provide all the answers people might want to give and in logical order
6. If you are asking for one vote, make sure that potential answers do not overlap
7. Do you need a "none of the above" or "other" option?
8. How many votes do you need to allow people?
9. When is the closing date?

Background information
10. How are you motivating people to answer
11. Tell people WHY you are doing the survey
12. Explain the background to the poll and give people links they can read up on

Launch and early participation
13. Do not tell people what you want/expect/hope for as an outcome
14. Do not tell people how you yourself will vote at the start
15. Invite people to vote

During the poll
16. Follow up during the period the poll is open (not revealing the outcome so far!)
17. Never (well - hardly ever) reset counter or change options while the poll is open
18. Don't close the poll early, nor extend its running time

After the poll is over
19. Summarise promptly when the poll is closed
20. Thank people for voting and their inputs
21. Come back at a later date and say what you have done with the data

All just personal thoughts. 

Please feel free to ask questions / for detail on any of the above - I am happy to write them up but really it's a common sense check list (at least it's all common sense once pointed out!)

Please take a look and feel free with this poll to comment / judge me against my own guidelines  Grin Grin and I know that someone will add "keep it positive" which all those "no because" options fail to do!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 17:18:27 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 17:13:00 »

Why are there up to 10 votes available for 12 choices? Shocked
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 17:15:26 »

Because you could want to vote "No" for all of the no reasons ... a pretty horrendous response, but I don't want to apply an artificial limit, while avoiding someone choosing all 12 options!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 06:23:08 »

Because you could want to vote "No" for all of the no reasons ... a pretty horrendous response, but I don't want to apply an artificial limit, while avoiding someone choosing all 12 options!

And a corollary (write in question) please - for those who do have experience with running a poll here - please follow up with experiences / comments and a note of what you might like to see in the future.

For those who do not have experience of running a poll here and have not yet voted, please do so.  Whilst that's a bit of a negative vote, it will really help inform us as we move forward in the Spring.   Poll at http://www.passenger.chat/24811 .

Thanks to all who have voted so far - you are starting to help form a picture for us!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 12:51:53 »

I don't think I have... I don't think anything's entered my mind to ask members, but that doesn't mean it never will..!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 17:24:28 »

I don't think I have... I don't think anything's entered my mind to ask members, but that doesn't mean it never will..!

According to your general stats you have started one.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 18:07:53 »

I've voted "No, for some other reason". My other reason is that I've not so far, but might in future, had anything to ask that would seem to me to be best answered in this way. I hope the difference between this and "No, because I have nothing useful to ask" is clear.

I'd add that I also had to actually check my stats to confirm that I never have started one.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 18:59:01 »

http://www.passenger.chat/15338  Grin

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 19:02:10 »

http://www.passenger.chat/15338  Grin

...very much on grahame's suggestion  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 14:11:25 »

So I did. Goodness me.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 06:12:39 »

A poll to ask whether you have run polls here on the Coffee Shop. 

Your last opportunity today to answer our "Poll of polls" - closes just before 6 p.m.and remember the clocks have gone forward. Some interesting lessons to be read into early returns and I'll summarise tomorrow

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 22:32:05 »

Here the poll results - "Have you posted a poll here?"

Yes, I have and would again - 8 (22.2%)
Yes, I have but I won't again (please post why) - 0 (0%)
No, because I have nothing useful to ask - 16 (44.4%)
No, because I didn't know I could - 1 (2.8%)
No, because I'm not familiar with how to do it - 4 (11.1%)
No, because it's not flexible enough - 0 (0%)
No, because it doesn't reach the audience I want - 0 (0%)
No, because I don't have the time to manage a poll - 1 (2.8%)
No, because it's not in my character to start something like that - 4 (11.1%)
No, because my employer lets me contribute but not start things - 0 (0%)
No, because I fear showing up a lack on knowledge - 0 (0%)
No, for some other reason the poll setter hasn't thought of! (tell me why!) - 2 (5.6%)

I was wondering as I wrote and set this poll whether there was something we could or should do to remove any roadblock (or are those railblocks) that are stopping people post polls.  At the same time, to go through my checklist to help others and to clarify one or two things for myself.   So - summary time.

27 different people voted - multiple votes allowed; total votes 36.

Now ... 8 said "I have" and 16 "I have nothing useful ask" - which leaves by my calculation just 3 saying only "no" for another reason.  "I'm not familiar with how to do it" suggests we could help be providing a bit more documentation for four people - but at least one has another "nothing useful to ask" as a reason so that would be documentation for a pretty niche group of no more than 3.   I will write documention if anyone asks happily, but no point in just writing for the sake of it.

I am gobsmacked that no-one voted "No, because it's not flexible enough".  Had there been an option "Yes - but I would do the occasional extra if it was more flexible" I would have personally voted for it; I have been doing some playing with LimeSurvey - which turns out to be as feature-rich as the forum software.  In view of the zero vote in that area, I will continue to experiment but - now - only for my own use and that of others who ask (and would be welcome) rather than as a general facility.

I would like to enourage members who think they have nothing useful to ask to think if that is really the case or, perhaps, the do have the occasional thing they wonder. But at the same time, yes, thank them for using their discression.

And finally, thank you everyone for contributing to this thread.  Happy polling, and happy posting.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: