I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:34:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: May 2021 Timetable  (Read 2615 times)
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:41:35 »

Looking at RealTimes there is no Waterloo service during May at least and Barnstaple trains are terminating at Central running empty to Pinhoe and reversing. So it looks like the siding is out of use.

Can anybody find an engineering notice or replacement bus notice? I've looked.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 14:04:57 »

I’m assuming you’ve looked at the Exeter area, but there are no SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services at all in Realtimetrains yet.  Still to be loaded into the underlying systems..
Even Waterloo station itself is completely blank on May 17th...

Paul
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 15:04:16 »

Looking at RealTimes there is no Waterloo service during May at least and Barnstaple trains are terminating at Central running empty to Pinhoe and reversing. So it looks like the siding is out of use.

There is an aspiration that the Barney services will start and end at Pinhoe rather than St James Park. The timings have been loaded into RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) as a placeholder and nothing more. When the actual service position is known, RTT will be updated. More than likely revert to the 'current' position come May.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 17:10:25 »

There is an aspiration that the Barney services will start and end at Pinhoe rather than St James Park. The timings have been loaded into RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) as a placeholder and nothing more. When the actual service position is known, RTT will be updated. More than likely revert to the 'current' position come May.

I didn't know the waterloo trains are not yet added but the reversing at Pinhoe is shown with id codes for empty stock. I thought this might actually because Exmouth siding is being upgraded, maybe restoring the second siding.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 19:39:51 »

I've taken a look at the May planned improvements pages on SWR» (South Western Railway - about). It appears that Waterloo is open every day but with a partial closure on 23rd May.

From SWR
Altered train services from London Waterloo Sunday 23 May
Some lines between London Waterloo and Clapham Junction will be closed all day Sunday for maintenance work.

• London Waterloo/Wimbledon to Guildford via Cobham services will start at Surbiton. Passengers should travel on alternative services to Surbiton to connect.
  • London Waterloo to Poole/Portsmouth via Eastleigh services will be revised and will divide at Eastleigh all day.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 23:43:29 »

The London trains have been added to realtimes but the Barnstaple trains still run empty to Pinhoe from Exeter Central, not St James, and reverse. So I still think this must be to do with work on the siding(s) at Exmouth.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 09:07:42 »

The London trains have been added to realtimes but the Barnstaple trains still run empty to Pinhoe from Exeter Central, not St James, and reverse. So I still think this must be to do with work on the siding(s) at Exmouth.

I will repeat what I have said twice now............ GWR (Great Western Railway) have an aspiration to run the Barnstaple trains out to Pinhoe rather than St James Park. These (Q) slots in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) are merely placeholders for when the full service commences. GWR need to do a couple of tasks before the service can commence....... i) driver/guard familiarisation; and ii) gauging the 165/166s.

It will be a major signalling exercise to reinstate the second siding at Exmouth Junction.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 20:31:13 »

If I go to the GWR (Great Western Railway) ticket site to buy a ticket from Barnstaple -St Jame's Park. it recommends changing at St David's as the train is going into the Bay (platform 2), for a Paignton- Exmouth train.

Ie; Leave Barnstaple 10.35 arrive St David's 11.41. Leave there at 12.15 arrive St James park 12.21

RealTime still has it going to Central then empty to Pinhoe.

It cannot do both??? The actual timetable should be out next week.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 21:24:45 »

The journeys I have looked at on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) have the Barnstaples arriving at Platform 1 at St Davids then going on to Central p3, the Paigntons likewise.
Thus it would seem that you can change at either Exeter location but the timetable will recommend only one of these, St Davids. Which is what the National Rail Enquries gives.
The Barnstaples then run on to Pinhoe to turn back.

Edit - data for May 20
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 22:21:40 »

I did work that out in my post but why cut out St James Park? When the original service did terminate at St James I did query the suitability of the station for turfing out passengers who want to go further.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 07:02:46 »

I did work that out in my post but why cut out St James Park?

My comment here is going to be highly speculative ... others may know better, and please tell me.

1. What is the cost of putting in an extra stop - even if the train is passing through?

2. What were the passengers numbers on the service at St James Park - was the extra service used?

3. Was the stop in the franchise (i.e. DfT» (Department for Transport - about) sponsored) or a commercial add on by GWR (Great Western Railway) (not DfT sponsored) - and if the latter, with current passenger levels should it be subsidised?

4. RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) tends to show things that get changed later on - are we discussing something not yet fully decided?

5. As suggested by others - is there a problem (more than was expected) from over-riders being left there, even with the recent station improvements?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 23:41:44 »

Another  puzzle from the 12 April Realtime is showing the trains running empty from St James to Pinhoe and from the 17 May empty from Central to Pinhoe.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: