Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:45:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to our data feed may cause a few ripples in a week or two.  (Read 9167 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 23, 2021, 17:31:49 »

Coffee Shop live data feeds ( MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site) ones too ) come from several sources, and have done for years.   The providers are pretty good at keeping these stable, but over time they get long in the tooth and a new generation is provided - sometimes with compatability issues or feature that hardly anyone used removed.   When using these feeds, it's known to be a risk and it's known that recoding / refactoring will be needed from time to time - even occasional loss of facilities.

I have been alerted to changes in one of our feed sources at the end of this month; one of the changes is probably for the better (it means that very hard work done years ago on something becomes trivial in a replacement - I hate throwing code out!) but a second change is causing concern as I think we've been using something that few others have.  Please, regular users, just note this concern - you may see some "funnies" at the start of next month which are NOT April fool jokes. I will keep this thread posted; main forum operation should NOT be effected.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 09:04:21 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 09:07:44 »

Many "Tiger" data feeds are updating during next week - main site moving from http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/ to https://tiger.worldline.global/home and addresses within the new site are different too. Also some welcome changes on the displays - compare top left and bottom right on the image below. Remaining feeds move in the early summer.  Big thanks to the tech support team there - a couple of email pointers have saved me hours and alerted me to what needs doing further on a June timescale.

Our clickable map at the top left (when you drill down to individual stations) gives you a wide variety of links to real time systems and (this morning) I have added some new Tiger feeds under "new WebTIS" links.  The old ones remain, now under "old WebTIS" so you can compare for a few days and to help anyone else who's updating their links.  As an example - the URL http://new.passenger.chat/map.html?stn=BWT will get you to the sample page for Bridgwater.

Tiger Image - Tony Hisgett from Birmingham, UK (United Kingdom),
CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0> via Wikimedia Commons.

From a quick look, the new station set available under Tiger is the same as the old station set - but that's not something that's been confirmed.  Please let me know if you find any broken links or any other Tiger stations we don't link to (GB (Great Britain) - I know that Tiger also covers Northern Ireland and we don't have the links in for that!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:25:41 »

Old Tiger didn’t include SWR» (South Western Railway - about) stations, but new Tiger does.   It always looked quite good when you glanced through the list looking for GWR (Great Western Railway) stations, but for some reason they never really covered the former Southern region.

It will now have much more coverage than before, and can presumably be a better recommendation for general use...

Paul 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:31:52 »

Old Tiger didn’t include SWR» (South Western Railway - about) stations, but new Tiger does.   It always looked quite good when you glanced through the list looking for GWR (Great Western Railway) stations, but for some reason they never really covered the former Southern region.

It will now have much more coverage than before, and can presumably be a better recommendation for general use...

Paul 

Ah - thank you - yes; holes such as Salisbury being filled.  Will need to generate new list ...

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 12:50:52 »

Paul 

SWR and some other TOCs (Train Operating Company) were not on the old Tiger because they generated the CIS (Customer Information System) feeds in their own systems. Tiger is part of the industry-wide system directly linked to Darwin, all run by ATOS. That bit of ATOS was spun off as Worldine in 2019 by a rather odd-looking process of ATOS giving most of its shares to the other shareholders - maybe that makes sense in France!

I guess the physical host system has also been split off from the rest of ATOS, and we are seeing the switch across to that. At the same time the latest batch of TOCs to migrate onto the common feed source is included.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 15:51:58 »

Thanks, yes, that looks like it fills a few of the gaps

Stations NameInformationDepartures
Main TransWilts line Swindon to Southampton via Melksham..
Swindon**
Chippenham**
Melksham**
Trowbridge**
Westbury**
Dilton Marsh**
Warminster **
Salisbury**
Dean**
Mottisfort and Dunbridge**
Romsey**
Redbridge**
Millbrook**
Southampton Central**
Southampton Airport**
Eastleigh**
Chandlers Ford**
Onward to Portsmouth..
Fareham**
Cosham**
Fratton**
Portsmouth and Southsea**
Portsmouth Harbour**
Onwards to Weymouth..
Frome**
Castle Cary**
Yeovil Pen Mill**
Maiden Newton**
Dorchester West**
Upwey**
Weymouth**
Onwards to Bath and Bristol..
Bradford-on-Avon**
Bath Spa**
Oldfield Park**
Keynsham**
Bristol Temple Meads**
Onwards to London..
Didcot**
Reading**
London Paddington**

There are a number of inconsistencies in that need individual sorting out - typically where a station is known by two names ("Swindon" and "Swindon (Wilts)" for example), a case of different capitalisation and one case of a misspelling on the new site so I suspect there will be odd bugs to fix.  Overall, though , really good to have lots of new stations!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 11:50:28 »

If you are in touch with the developers, here is one bug I have spotted.

When a train arrives at a station it is due to call at the last report changes from "Between X and Y" to "No report".  On the old system it updated to "Arrived at (name of station)".
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 13:31:43 »

When a train arrives at a station it is due to call at the last report changes from "Between X and Y" to "No report".  On the old system it updated to "Arrived at (name of station)".

Yes, that's a particularly worrying flaw. This used to happen on one of the in-station systems (sorry - after a year's enforced absence from commuting I can't remember which, but I think it was the lineside overhead dot-matrix signs when they up-graded the "walking writing" along the middle), and can cause considerable alarm!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 17:27:59 »

Tiger is part of the industry-wide system directly linked to Darwin, all run by ATOS. That bit of ATOS was spun off as Worldine in 2019 by a rather odd-looking process of ATOS giving most of its shares to the other shareholders - maybe that makes sense in France! ....

Silly, off topic question - does ATOS stand for anything?   I too have tended to capitalise it in the past which makes it look like an abbreviation but I don't know what for and elsewhere it's written as Atos .... no clues at https://atos.net/en/company-profile or ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atos

Rosco is a chap I knew at college (or could have done!) ... ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) (or RoSCo) is a Rolling Stock Company ...

STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group) is the Severn Tunnel (Junction?) Action Group (or Scottish Transport Appraisal Guidance - GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) add on to make it even more complicated) ... but stag is an adult male deer!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 17:38:08 by grahame » Logged

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 17:41:48 »

Likely to be in French if it does stand for anything, but it looks as though it doesn't.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 18:28:42 »

ATOS is actually AtoS, and stands for Atos Origin to SIS. This came about as the result of the 2011  acquisition of Siemens IT Solutions and Services by Atos Origin.

The original Atos was created in 1997 from the merger of two IT service companies, Axime and Sligos. It then became Atos Origin in 2000, following the merger between Atos and Origin.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 18:34:14 »

ATOS is actually AtoS, and stands for Atos Origin to SIS. This came about as the result of the 2011  acquisition of Siemens IT Solutions and Services by Atos Origin.

The original Atos was created in 1997 from the merger of two IT service companies, Axime and Sligos. It then became Atos Origin in 2000, following the merger between Atos and Origin.

But wouldn't that be AOTS?   

And sounds a bit recursive like PHP which stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor"

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 18:43:50 »

But wouldn't that be AOTS?   

And sounds a bit recursive like PHP which stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor"

Might not be logical to you, but that is definitely what it is - I have had to do this particular bit of research before  Grin

You take the At in Atos, the O in Origin (which is "small o" due to its placing in the merged Atos Origin name) and the S in Siemens IT Solutions and Services to form AtoS

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
FenMan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 12:45:46 »

Well, they did say there would be a "a few ripples." None of the new URLs are working, but the old ones are still good.

I stupidly updated my bookmark for Blackwater departures and have managed to grab the old link by visiting here, for which many thanks!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 14:31:21 »

Old links in the pages under the maps have broken

I have removed the old links and added a couple of new displays - dynamic A to Z and arrivals

Other feeds - expecting the underlying stuff will change in the next six weeks ....

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: