Short Run
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:52:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What might have been - 1975 suggestions /  (Read 3697 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:37:55 »

Map and accompanying text sets the scene well.  Not sure how officials the map is, but the format is familiar with other official ones from around the time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 12:36:34 »

I remember these ideas being widely discussed on BR (British Rail(ways)) when I worked for the outfit.  The degree of support within some sections of the management for retrenchment was a huge shock to me.

In the Westbury Area, where we were working hard every day to shift the Mendips towards London and elsewhere, and keep a fairly comprhensive service of fasts and local trains going, this was all so demoralising.  Thank goodness these ideas, and those of the Serpell Report, which came later but had as one of it's options virtually what this map shows, (with some exceptions), were not taken forward
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 12:47:23 »

The map is an adaptation of the maps in the Beeching Report.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 12:56:35 »

Interesting to see how things might change if a similar level of closures were required now.  In terms of staying open, I bet Oxford to Birmingham and Manchester to Sheffield would get preference over Chester to Holyhead.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 21:26:04 »

One does wonder to what extent Holyhead was a political inclusion.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 21:40:25 »

One does wonder to what extent Holyhead was a political inclusion.

Doubly ironic when you consider the political position it finds itself today, at the gates of the rail industry's "new dawn"

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 21:43:59 »

Interesting to see how things might change if a similar level of closures were required now.  In terms of staying open, I bet Oxford to Birmingham and Manchester to Sheffield would get preference over Chester to Holyhead.

Don't forget that this map was put together by a campaigning group.  It had no status.  Very few closures after 75, thankfully.  Long may that remain the case.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 22:36:11 »

Don't forget that this map was put together by a campaigning group.  It had no status.  Very few closures after 75, thankfully.  Long may that remain the case.

Yes but it has remarkable similarity to the Serpel Report Map.

Some notable ones closed after 1975 though like March Spalding. And there were plenty of near misses like Settle and Carlisle! Also much rationalisation (removal of capacity - single tracking and 'simplified' junctions). 
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 23:15:03 »

Whilst I appreciate RichardB's view, and agree with the overall sentiment, speaking as a veteran now of several closure battles, I have worked with some of the most wonderful, talented, knowledgeable and committed people I have ever met on them, and their efforts in both stopping the closures and securing the future by subsequent building up the passenger numbers have had a huge impact on keeping the map as full as it has been. I would certainly include Richard himself in that with his sterling continuing efforts on the Devon and Cornwall routes.

In that respect, the rail network is fortunate that it has always known who its true friends are, and has been able to count on them to stick by it through thick and thin.

If only we were all so lucky in our day to day lives.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 10:52:08 »

Yes but it has remarkable similarity to the Serpel Report Map.

Some notable ones closed after 1975 though like March Spalding. And there were plenty of near misses like Settle and Carlisle! Also much rationalisation (removal of capacity - single tracking and 'simplified' junctions). 

Don't get me wrong, there certainly was a constituency for big rail cuts as we saw a few years later with the Serpell Report.  Thankfully it was largely fought off in the 70s and Sir Peter Parker and the BRB(resolve) saw off Serpell.  Settle/Carlisle was indeed a very close run thing.  Not an awful lot else though if you look back.  Rationalisation - another story entirely.  Thankfully much has been put back in more recent times.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 11:01:20 »

I thoroughly recommend Chris Austin and Richard Faulkner's book on the battle to save lines in the 70s and 80s.  "Holding the Line" - both Chris and Richard (now Lord Faulkner of course) were closely involved in BR (British Rail(ways)).  Their other book, on rail policy, "Disconnected" is really worth reading too.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/product/holding-the-line-how-britains-railways-were-saved/
https://rail-books.co.uk/products/holding-the-line-how-britains-railways-were-saved-9780860936473
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780860936640/Disconnected-Broken-Links-Britains-Rail-0860936643/plp

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 11:05:29 »

Interesing to see closure of all lines and the stations at places like Yeovil, Ely, Shrewsbury, Worcester and, yes, Westbury. Swansea and Plymouth both become the terminii of branches from the Bristol area, and Oxford the terminus of a branch from Didcot. Bournemouth and Salisbury also become branch terminii of lines from Basingstoke.  On the east coast, Darlington and Newcastle become just intermediate stations, as (on the west coast) do Preston and Carlisle. But Tunbridge Wells to Eridge is retained.

On rationalisation - like Beeching closures - some especially around terminus stations and facilities probably made sense with trains able to arrive and depart frequently from less (or one!) platform.  Perhaps less so all the singling and changes at junction stations which accountants may have thought made sense, overlooking the necessary destruction of all round connections as train  move from calling in parallel to in series.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 11:33:34 »

Terry Gourvish produced two volumes on the history of British Railways. The first covers British Railways 1948-73, the second British Rail from 1974 to 1997. They were official histories with access to original documents. Very detailed but give a fascinating account of the changes.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: